PDA

View Full Version : Grinding/ Creaking Steering :(

Chip
27-07-2010, 03:49 PM
I have that dreaded problem, Ive searched on here and found 2 possibilities?

Its either the front lower arm or a ball joint? I have no idea what does what so heres my exact problem,

When I turn the wheel at low speeds I get a Grinding/ Creaking Noise from the front O/s Wheel

Can some1 show me what part it is? with a link to camskill where I can buy it?
(I know It has to be OEM)

Thank You

Chip

Wodjno
27-07-2010, 03:50 PM
I have that dreaded problem, Ive searched on here and found 2 possibilities?

Its either the front lower arm or a ball joint? I have no idea what does what so heres my exact problem,

When I turn the wheel at low speeds I get a Grinding/ Creaking Noise from the front O/s Wheel

Can some1 show me what part it is? with a link to camskill where I can buy it?
(I know It has to be OEM)

Thank You

Chip

Yep lower arm ball joint..
Which side is it ?

Wodj

Chip
27-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Drivers side :(

Ive order'd this

http://www.camskill.co.uk/products.php?plid=m22b0s1403p7603

Hope its right lol

Chip
27-07-2010, 05:30 PM
bump

Wodjno
27-07-2010, 05:34 PM
bump

Well they were known in the past to dry out at the joint and snap from Camskill. But they must have sorted there supply otherwise they wouldn't still be selling them. ???

Japarts are selling them for £65 ..

Cheers

Wodj

Chip
21-08-2010, 10:41 PM
just incase any one wants to know, CamSkill only sell the Official Mitsi lower arms now as the cheaper ones from jap parts fall apart

Nick Mann
21-08-2010, 10:45 PM
Yep. Thought that was well known, TBH and missed this thread last time around.

There are apparently two manufacturers of aftermarket straight lower arms. One makes a good one, one makes one that has catastrophically failed on more than a few cars. I'm not sure how you tell the difference, so I always tell people that Genuine is the only way forwards on that item. Apart from driveshaft seals, that's the only thing where I would recommend genuine!

Ryan
27-08-2010, 08:32 AM
Damnit - mine has started making this squeaking noise at low speeds too. The sound is coming from the driver side. I am wondering if I can make it back to AKL on it? Leave here on Wednesday.

There is a MMC Stealership in Napier - might give them a call on Monday and see if I can get a quote.

If anyone knows of someone else who's competent enough to replace whatever needs replacing, please let me know.

Chip
27-08-2010, 10:43 AM
Its very easy to do urself, I have no mechanical knowledge and i managed fine :) Its best if theres 2 of you tho (one to hold tourqe wrench and one to hold spanner) just make sure you buy a ball joint splitter

Ryan
27-08-2010, 10:44 AM
I'm currently away in rural NZ with my wife who's all of 4'11" and no tools, so unfortunately, a mechanical workshop we are not :p

taylor
29-08-2010, 01:26 AM
Ryan is there a firestone or something where you are? you just need two 17mm spanners and a 22mm spanner plus the ball joint splitter.

Im sure if you rocked up to a firestone or a workshop and asked to borrow a jack and those tools in return for a box of beer theyd be helpful?