PDA

View Full Version : Judder when changing gear (auto)

JTG
28-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Hi, got a bit of a problem. When I am accelerating round a roundabout (fairly quickly but certainly not foot to floor) and the car goes to change gear, it judders a lot and can not find the gear until I either ease off or straighten the wheel (it started doing it a while ago but is now a lot worse). I don't know if it would do the same if going the wrong way round a roundabout of course and it is pretty much fine in all other situations.

Now I will point out, that before I bought the car it has been leaking some of the red stuff but I can't see for myself where it's coming from due to the undertray, I will take it to be checked out properly soon though.

Any ideas what is causing the judder? Of course my first (and only) thought is very, very low auto box oil level, but when I check this (engine running, in neutral) the level seems to get up to the 'hot' level just fine. Is this perhaps not accurate?

Any help appreciated.

miller
28-07-2010, 06:33 PM
The leaky red stuff was Power steering fluid from a corroded hose on the LHS of the engine bay, it was replaced with a new one.

The gearbox has Amsoil in it, it may be worth taking a sample out and shipping it off to Amsoils lab in the uk where they can test if the fluids still in spec.

Let me go dig out the link...

edit..

see link below, then scroll to bottom of the page

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/tools.html

oh and the dipsticks are an utter pig to read, maybe worth a series of checks at hot and cold to see if it is the correct level.

bradc
28-07-2010, 07:57 PM
Definitely check the fluid level then as it sounds like it has fairly new fluid in it.

Just so you know btw (although it sounds like you might already) you are supposed to start the car, go into tip mode, select 2nd, then back to neutral, keep it running, then read the level. It is very hard to read though, the top of the plastic on the dipstick tends to catch on the sides and pull up oil with it.

JTG
28-07-2010, 08:14 PM
No power steering is fine. The level doesn't drop at all. It's leaked red stuff from the day I got it home, wasn't easily diagnosable and no levels go down so we left it for now.

miller
28-07-2010, 08:17 PM
No power steering is fine. The level doesn't drop at all. It's leaked red stuff from the day I got it home, wasn't easily diagnosable and no levels go down so we left it for now.

Its most likely all the fluid draining from the undertray that spewed out when the PS pipe sprung a leak. Maybe worth dropping the tray and cleaning it off, then clean any crevices where oil might lie from the drivers side strut downwards.

JTG
28-07-2010, 08:23 PM
The tray went off when the car was on a ramp and hosed it down. Doubt it's ps fluid as it is properly red

JTG
29-07-2010, 05:27 PM
Well, a week from Monday the fluid leak is going to be properly investigation and then the gearbox oil will be flushed and filled with some shiny new stuff. As long as I can afford it before my holiday :'( Until then, it will only be driven when completely necessary.

JTG
29-07-2010, 05:30 PM
The leaky red stuff was Power steering fluid from a corroded hose on the LHS of the engine bay, it was replaced with a new one.

The gearbox has Amsoil in it, it may be worth taking a sample out and shipping it off to Amsoils lab in the uk where they can test if the fluids still in spec.

Let me go dig out the link...

edit..

see link below, then scroll to bottom of the page

http://www.performanceoilsltd.co.uk/tools.html

oh and the dipsticks are an utter pig to read, maybe worth a series of checks at hot and cold to see if it is the correct level.

Hmm cheers for the LINK!. Are you sure it has Amsoil in the gearbox? As I have a receipt for some cheapish auto box oil dated second half of 2009.

miller
29-07-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes it had amsoil in it, myself Kieran and elnevio did the service!

JTG
29-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Ok cheers, will have to diagnose the leak and then take a look at the condition of the oil then I think.

Somebody has mentioned drive shaft to me, any possibility of this being the case?

By the way Miller that last post was supposed to say 'link', not 'leak' lol. Must have had leak on the brain.

Nick Mann
29-07-2010, 10:48 PM
If the judder is at maximum right footage, then I'd suggest driveshaft not gearbox. The "not finding gear" comment in your first post leads me to believe that the drive shaft solution is unlikely.

amsoil
03-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Just wondeing what the latest is on this one, if the fluid is bright red then the fluid itself is going to be fine.

JTG
05-08-2010, 08:43 AM
Just wondeing what the latest is on this one, if the fluid is bright red then the fluid itself is going to be fine.

The latest is, I just got towed home. Drivshaft went and knocked the drivers wheel out of the lower ball joint. Mechanic doesn't get back from 'Wayels' until Monday.

bradc
05-08-2010, 10:24 AM
which driveshaft? the one that goes from the transfer case to the drivers wheel?

JTG
05-08-2010, 04:20 PM
No idea, unfortunately I'm not very mechanically gifted. The AA man said it's the 'main driveshaft'. Pictures to follow.

miller
05-08-2010, 04:21 PM
when you say towed i presume lifted up on the back of a low loader?

JTG
05-08-2010, 04:26 PM
Right, here are the pics:

http://j.imagehost.org/0247/11IMG_0084.jpg (http://j.imagehost.org/view/0247/11IMG_0084)
The above is what I could see at first and I thought what a very strange thing to happen, given that those are Mitsi arms and fairly new.

http://img822.imageshack.us/img822/8012/1img0087.jpg (http://img822.imageshack.us/i/1img0087.jpg/)
This is what then became visible one the can was jacked up a bit.

Sorry if the sizes of these pics are inappropriate, I don't have time to play around much as I have to find a way to get to work for the second time today.

JTG
05-08-2010, 04:27 PM
when you say towed i presume lifted up on the back of a low loader?

Yes, I specifically asked for a flat bed and one was with me within 20 minutes.

miller
05-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Yes, I specifically asked for a flat bed and one was with me within 20 minutes.

ah phew.....for a moment there i was sweatin :2thumbsup :2thumbsup

JTG
05-08-2010, 04:33 PM
Links now work.

Kryton
05-08-2010, 06:25 PM
That is mega fast response time & Ii'm impressed they sent a flat bed straight away!

JTG
05-08-2010, 07:56 PM
It was like quarter to 7 in the morning. It was the flatbed guy's first job of the day and he started at 5 :-o

Does anyone have any indication as to what I'm looking at repair wise? Easy? Expensive? Potentially fatal? Any help appreciated.

bradc
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Do we know what caused it? Was it just the driveshaft that fell apart or was it something more sinister?

JTG
05-08-2010, 09:32 PM
I have no idea. Car was giving no clues of anything going wrong other than the aforementioned juddering. I was only driving it when 100% necessary. I could feel the steering start to go before it gave way, I was just trying to complete my journey to work before assessing it and obviously failed miserably

psbarham
06-08-2010, 09:06 AM
the bottom arm failed first, that in turn let the wheel move sideways pulling the driveshaft with it.
If you are lucky then a new bottom arm and a inner gaitor and jobs a good 'un, if you are unlucky then you'll need a driveshaft or at the least an inner joint.

JTG
06-08-2010, 03:34 PM
the bottom arm failed first, that in turn let the wheel move sideways pulling the driveshaft with it.
If you are lucky then a new bottom arm and a inner gaitor and jobs a good 'un, if you are unlucky then you'll need a driveshaft or at the least an inner joint.

You reckon? Even though I had the juddering when changing gear at times which I understand can be signs of driveshaft and the bottom arm is mitsi and fairly new? Is it normal practice for the arm to come out of the ball joint after minimal wear and tear on the mitsi arms?

psbarham
06-08-2010, 09:29 PM
I doubt very much the drive shaft could excerpt enough force on the arm along its length to pop the ball joint apart.

Nick Mann
06-08-2010, 09:43 PM
Why do you say the arm is new? It looks rusty in the photo - new Mitsy items are painted black.

I'd agree with PSB - the driveshaft exerting enough force to pop a ball joint seems highly unlikely. Maybe there is something else going on that we can;t see in the photos.

JTG
08-08-2010, 10:28 AM
Why do you say the arm is new? It looks rusty in the photo - new Mitsy items are painted black.

I'd agree with PSB - the driveshaft exerting enough force to pop a ball joint seems highly unlikely. Maybe there is something else going on that we can;t see in the photos.

Yes it would appear this was done on the cheap and only the nearside arm was replaced. Now going to try and source a new one, then have a quick look at the nearside one and replace that as well if need be.

Someone's coming to look at it today for me to assess, but said it shouldn't be a problem /bananaroc