PDA

View Full Version : HID kits / Xenon help

Kryton
28-07-2010, 05:58 PM
Its finally happened, I have blown a bulb. True to form, rather than simply replacing the part, I look upon it as an ideal opportunity to upgrade. I have been searching through the forum & it seems there is a mixed opinion on Xenon / HID kits as to whether they are legal or not & light patter issues. To be honest, I don't really want to start hacking up lights so would like something that fits straight in (within reason). So my questions are:

Has anyone just fitted a hid kit, without messing around with projectors etc?

Are they easy enough to swap in & out for an mot? I have searched & people say 15-20mins, is this accurate?

What rating do i need for dipped beam (I have seen 4000k to 10000k)? I have searched & seems to be colour, so is 4000k whitest or 10000k?

These are the links I have found:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H7-SLIM-LINE-XENON-HID-KIT-6000K-mitsubishi-galant-98-/360282514356?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item53e282e3b4

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H7-SLIM-LINE-XENON-HID-KIT-8000K-mitsubishi-galant-98-/290456569187?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43a08f8563

Any help would be much appreciated.

Turbo_Steve
28-07-2010, 09:07 PM
They are easy to swap for an MOT if you're patient.
They're not very good for main beam.

They're definitely not legal, though it's 50/50 on whether they pass. Chances are that the scatter WILL annoy other motorists, though.

Kryton
29-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Ok thanks for the info. It looks like its probably easier to remove the headlights to get to them so will probably just swap them over for MOT

nuster100
10-08-2010, 01:48 PM
My car passed its MOT with them no issues

Didn't stop a copper giving me a £30 fine for having them Saturday night though /grr :ranton:

Colin Wiltshire
10-08-2010, 05:53 PM
My car passed its MOT with them no issues

Didn't stop a copper giving me a £30 fine for having them Saturday night though /grr :ranton:
just about to put this up, beat me to it/Wave

nuster100
10-08-2010, 05:58 PM
Told him they were there when I got the car, lol

Colin Wiltshire
10-08-2010, 06:05 PM
what did they say when they pulled you? do you know why I stopped you? colour of lights?

nuster100
11-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Asked what bulbs I had in my lights as they were bright, I said H7 :D

Then he asked my to pop the bonnet, showed me one of the ballasts and said that means it after-market and not legal.

Jay

Turbo_Steve
11-08-2010, 05:52 PM
Hmmm....did he issue a vehicle defect ticket? If so, presumably you had to have the vehicle tested to illustrate it's legality?

nuster100
11-08-2010, 06:10 PM
No, just fine and word in ear

Jay

sonicsoundzdj
12-08-2010, 01:27 PM
kryton, i had a 10000k hid conversion kit in mine and it looked good but did scatter light everywhere. this can be cured but will in involve modifying your headlight. i never got pulled but was always a bit weary of blinding other drivers fitting and removing them is really easy, only takes about 10 mins. as for rating the 4000k will be a yellowy colour and as the number(temp) gets higher the colours will go whiter and then into a blue/ white colour. you can get charts on the net showing you the colours of them

Kryton
12-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info. I got Hid's fitted to my headlights & dipped beam in the end. I think they are 6000k, mega bright with a slight blue tinge to them. The spread looks spot on as Ralliart1 / Csaba (who I bought them from as complete lights) has made a washer to wedge into the bulb holder,which somehow forces the bulb closer to the back of the bit in the middle of the light (thats the technical jargen /duh ). The only issue is, the N/S headlight is a little bit high so I've got my mate coming round to adjust it at the weekend. Best part is, they have been on the car now for a couple of weeks & only one person has flashed me & TBH, I think that was because I was overtaking rather than because of the lights/haz

Ralliart1
15-08-2010, 11:58 AM
They are 6000K Chris/yes .
If you remember,I was told you that I don`t had H1 bulbs,so I took mines out from my car and fit in your headlights.Next week has arrived the bulbs,so decided to fit them back,and fix them with similar rings as I put in yours.I did a few headlights for other people with custom made plastic rings to fix the bulbs,but mines where fitted in barbaric style .
Headlights out,rings fitted,job done.
Monday evening went to work,lot of people flashing to me,tuesday evening also...What a hell is going on/Hmmm ???
Wednesday before I went to work just had a look on headlights,and.../JawDroppi
on driverside it works the low beam,on other side the high beam...I swapped the wires when fit them back/duh
Oh,and passed the MOT with HID converted headlights and front foglights

Kryton
15-08-2010, 12:08 PM
Oops. At least it was a simple fix. Good news on the mot pass. I'm sure I will be contacting you soon about fog lights :) Also, what bulbs do you have for the steering lights (extra lights in fog light cluster) as I need to change these & side lights as far too yellow. The sides someone recommended the Philips Blue vision but I can't find anything suitable for the steering (without hacking up the cluster & fitting regular fog light bulbs instead)

Maxus
15-08-2010, 12:32 PM
Was doing some searching into this and it seems the highest "Legal" rating of bulbs you can use is 8000K in temprature.

However if you do go down the HID route its always good to fix the scatter, preferably with projectors. Google turns up a few conversion kits :)

Ralliart1
15-08-2010, 12:35 PM
Oops. At least it was a simple fix. Good news on the mot pass. I'm sure I will be contacting you soon about fog lights :) Also, what bulbs do you have for the steering lights (extra lights in fog light cluster) as I need to change these & side lights as far too yellow. The sides someone recommended the Philips Blue vision but I can't find anything suitable for the steering (without hacking up the cluster & fitting regular fog light bulbs instead)
For steering lights I have the standards one,thinking to change them for something brighter,maybe some bright LED bulb,or modifying them for H3 bulbs.
I already ordered the Philips Blue visions,I had before blue LEDs but for that the cops pull me over and saids that is illegal,told them just go out to the motorway and check some lorries all front lighting in blue like a Xmas three,that one is legal?

Kryton
15-08-2010, 01:10 PM
I had before blue LEDs but for that the cops pull me over and saids that is illegal,told them just go out to the motorway and check some lorries all front lighting in blue like a Xmas three,that one is legal?

I swear they have nothing better to do sometimes. Yeah, I'm thinking blue vision side lights, Hid Fogs & then grafting some nightbreaker h3's in as steering light. Feel free to attempt this 1st & let me know how you get on, as I know you enjoy a challenge /haz