PDA

View Full Version : VR4 on E-Bay

richibass
29-08-2004, 05:55 PM
Has anyone seen this VR4 on E-bay?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18230&item=2488352627&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Brind
29-08-2004, 05:59 PM
Who put those alloys on it? :noshake:

Kieran
29-08-2004, 06:08 PM
And his feedback rating is -2.

What's that smell? :shifty:

Big Ian
29-08-2004, 10:28 PM
the car look's fine...but those alloy's :lipsrseal ........if i see a car for sale with those or similar alloy's they are alway's still with the importer?
as it seam's everyone over here get's rid off,as soon as!..As the alloy is crap for our wether.also why is the front plate not attached?

Nick Mann
30-08-2004, 09:57 AM
The car is a pre-facelift tiptronic.

260 bhp.

Does he think he has got 50 bhp from a filter and exhaust? Maybe the weight saving on the wheels has been taken into account!!

mintyfresh
01-09-2004, 10:37 PM
The guy who is selling it rang me today to offer it as a p/x with my Rx7.

how quickly should the car do 0-60 and the top speed?

is th etiptronic box slow, or worthwhile? im not a fan of automatics.

Thanks guys

Deano.

Nick Mann
01-09-2004, 10:43 PM
HISTORY!!!

The 45k (now 54k I think) service is £800ish at a dealer.

The 0-60 should be about 6.0 secs. The top speed should be limited, but it is difficult to know where at. If not limited, 150 should be reached without too much trouble. (Excepting the law).

I had a tiptronic - the only auto I have ever owned, and it almost convinced me. Easy in traffic, but easy to do what you want if feathering the throttle round corners.

An unbelievable amount of car for the money, but expensive if you don't buy with your eyes open. Have a look at the buyers guide located under the resources tab above.

zedy1
01-09-2004, 10:51 PM
me thinks he bought it from keightly :rolleyes:

Brind
01-09-2004, 10:56 PM
Don't assume the tiptronic is the same as a basic automatic.

mintyfresh
01-09-2004, 10:58 PM
Keighly the import place? Thery have many cheap cars.

Does the tiptronic box hinder the performance at all? Im quite interested in the car ebcause i want something bigger, but from what you guys have said, 310bhp does sound a little generous for him to say.

mintyfresh
01-09-2004, 11:06 PM
also, he feels its worth £7500, does this sound right?

Im relying on you guys because of the rarity and how hard it is to find info on these cars.

Thanks

Deano.

Brind
01-09-2004, 11:11 PM
Keighly the import place? Thery have many cheap cars.

Does the tiptronic box hinder the performance at all?

Erm.. welding your foot to the floor, both hands on the wheel holding on for dear life, while you take corners at break next speed without having to take time out to change gear yourself, and virtually constant acceleration times.

Nah.. it's no fun. :laugh:

mintyfresh
01-09-2004, 11:18 PM
lmao, point taken.

SGHOM
01-09-2004, 11:21 PM
A few little mods & tweaks here & there, & you can record a 4.69 secs, 0 to 60 mph !! :-b It has been done................... with the auto !! sadly, my best is only 5.12 ! :sad3: :sad3:

mintyfresh
01-09-2004, 11:24 PM
My Rx7 is fast. sub 5 second 0-60 fast. But im just too big for it. having all the power in a comfortable car does sound good.

How do these big estates handle then?

SGHOM
01-09-2004, 11:34 PM
How do these big estates handle then?
Where abouts are you in the UK ??
A few of us are at silverstone this coming weekend, to race the club circuit !! :-b
As for the handling......... It's not too bad for a big car !! :lipsrseal :rolleyes5 4WD, traction control, AYC...... [ active yaw control, same as EVO's ]
unless you are a rally driver, you will loose your grip [ on reality ] before the car does !! awsome ! :rolleyes5 :-b

Kieran
01-09-2004, 11:34 PM
Hmmm.... :thinking:

You tend to get a feel for cars on ebay, and this one gives me a kind of :shifty: :shifty: feeling...

Couple of thoughts...

You can make out the numberplate in the pictures, yet when you type it into the RAC's DVLA details page, no details come back. If the car was registered only a year ago, this should be entered on there. :nono: (Incidentally, you need to register for the lookups now - Hurry though, it's about to be taken offline!)

"SOME SERVICE HISTORY, 1000s SPENT ALL RECIPTS" - Why has the guy had to spend £1000s? What's he had done - and where?

"CAR SERVICED EVERY 3000 MILES WITH FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL" - Whoopie doo. But it doesn't say how many miles the owner has covered since "importing" it a year ago. This could just mean it's had 1 change in 12 months if it's only covered say, 5000 miles.

Kieran
01-09-2004, 11:37 PM
Reading my last post, I do sound like a harbinger of doom!:$

I think this car can be summed up by one simple phrase:

"Caveat Emptor"

mintyfresh
01-09-2004, 11:39 PM
some good questions, and i think i'll let this car slide away, but i am now interested in getting myself a VR4.

Are there any particular models or years i should look out for. i will have a budget of between 8K-10K

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 12:08 AM
some good questions, and i think i'll let this car slide away, but i am now interested in getting myself a VR4.

Are there any particular models or years i should look out for. i will have a budget of between 8K-10K

You should be able to get a damn good one for that money, certainly an early official UK-spec Ralliart version, but all these are tiptronic - only some of the earlier imported ones came with manual boxes.

There's not a great deal of difference in performance/handling between the saloon and the Legnum, but some of the older type-v models had 20bhp less than the 280 most cars have and some also didn't have the AYC fitted. Look for one late 99 onwards though, and you'll get all this stuff.

Be prepared for some expensive running costs. Everyone's experience is different and everywhere charge differently, but if you drive it a lot you can expect to pay that 8-10 again within two years, EASILY! Mine's about 20p a mile in petrol, and over a thousand a year in servicing. Add to that tyres and brakes, but then mine aren't standard so they cost more.

There's some good deals to be had on the likes of discs and pads, and access to these is granted to all paid up members - I echo the wise words of others here when I say it's best £20 you can spend on your car! There's an ever growing database of information in our members section that you simply won't find anywhere else.

Have a read of the buyers guide on this site - it's a brilliant summary and answered many of the questions I had.

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 12:14 AM
thanks again.

after runnig the rx7 i dont think anything else is gonna strangle my wallet like that does. Its always alarming whe you can watch the fuel gauge move slowly downwards as you u boot it.

Brind
02-09-2004, 12:49 AM
thanks again.

after runnig the rx7 i dont think anything else is gonna strangle my wallet like that does. Its always alarming whe you can watch the fuel gauge move slowly downwards as you u boot it.

I have heard that before.
It can be the same way with the VR-4, especially since the fuel tank is stupidly small, £35 will fill it up (light on and off).

To be honest, I think it's very good on fuel if you take it easy, perhaps I'm used to juicy cars, 20-25 miles per gallon is my average and on a run it's very good.
However, on track it's another story, less than 5 mpg has been seen. :-b :laugh:

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 02:38 AM
Im in Essex.

A tiptronic car does seem ideal for me, and although i didnt intend on an estate, if it is as great as you guys say then maybe i have to driive one. Im sure i can think of something to fill the rest of the car with :)

Nick Mann
02-09-2004, 09:01 AM
You can get saloon or estate.

Best bet is to look on autotrader - do a search for mitsubishi, any model, with vr4 or vr-4 as the keyword searches. If you make it national, you should get a few good deals come up.

The car on e-bay does not look like its worth anywhere near 7.5k. If I were you I'd find a pristine car the same age for 7k and then play as you want. His list of mods and estimate of power make it sound like it has not been cared for. This may not be the case, just me being suspicious!

If you want a non-pristine car that has been played with, it could cost less than 6k!!

But remember, SERVICE HISTORY or the knowledge that a major service needs doing!

mike
02-09-2004, 09:18 AM
Did someone mention RX7? :D Slightly off topic - what year/model spec do you have? Mine is an on-going '92 3rd gen project - I'm in middle of rebuilding the engine at the moment, but have a nice single turbo to go on it. Anyway, time is the problem thats why its on-going...

I must be mad trying to run a VR4, a VTR1000 and rebuild a RX7 :rolleyes5 - actually nope - just skint! :dozey:

Mike.

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 10:13 AM
Its a '95 Rxt Twi n Turbo Type R. Its got full RE-Amemiya bodykit, HKS Exhaust, GruppeM induction and a full custom interior. It really is a great car, and i havnt driving anything that handles better. Its just too small for me :sad3:

I think i would want an estate because a saloon seems a bit like an EVO wannabe (sorry to ther owners).

How much does it cost to mod the VR4? what sort of money does it take to get upto the 350bhp mark?

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 10:18 AM
I think i would want an estate because a saloon seems a bit like an EVO wannabe (sorry to ther owners).

EVO wannabe?! :rolleyes5 :dozey:

Nah, mate! That's one of the reasons why I wanted one over your scoobs and evos, yeah it's got the AYC, four wheel drive and massive power, but it's also a refined family car. The ride is nowhere near as harsh as an EVOs, and the interior is full of toys too.

The reason I love the VR4 so much is because of it's stealth factor - it simply doesn't look like a 300bhp car.....it's just a Galant with a spoiler!

enigma
02-09-2004, 10:23 AM
350 is achievable in many ways! But its not so easy, 330 has been achieved without major major mods.

The easiest is a moderate shot of Nitrous.....its not always there though!

If you want to go the conventional way you will need an induction kit, an exhaust, a decat, and a boost controller. This will set you back between £1000 and £3000 depending on whether you fit and set it up yourself or pay through the nose! This will easily get you up around the 320-330 mark if done right. To get more you are in to more expense with fuel and ignition controllers. While these are not expensive in themselves you could be in for a £500 rolling road bill!

Once you get to 350ish you may find the auto box starts behaving funny (I dont but others have) and the manual will require an uprated clutch.

I think thats everything! The estate is the best bet, practical and stealthy! I was playing with a 911 Turbo and a Bentley Continental GT last night and they must have wondered what was going on! A 4.7 second 0-60 is certainly unexpected from your average traffic light competition! :D

Wodjno
02-09-2004, 10:32 AM
me thinks he bought it from keightly :rolleyes:
Ys .. He did buy it from Keightley .. When i was looking for mine last Sept it was in Keightly then .. I have a piccy of it still in my piccy folder ..

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 11:04 AM
i want, i want, i want!!!

BraindG
02-09-2004, 11:26 AM

/banned!... oh err.. :rolleyes5 :lipsrseal

Theres noway i got my saloon cos it was second best to an EVO. I have never even though of it in that way. The car was bought cos it looks "da-shiat" and goes like the clappers..

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 11:41 AM
Sorry buddy, your right. anyone can see an evo coming. I thnik you get extra satisfaction if the power is in your family saloon.

The guy reckons the cambelts have been changed, but its gonna take a hefty bit of cash with his car to p/x for the rex.

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 12:31 PM
This one is for sale too, and I saw it yesterday - looks like it's just had £2000 knocked off it's asking price. Bog-standard, no mods, Ralliart spec, full history, and low mileage - looked in good 'nick.

http://www.xtreme-uk.net/UsedCarDetails.asp?iwdatabankdetails=181

ReggieK
02-09-2004, 01:42 PM
If you are interested in a saloon, although I am not actively pursuing it, mine is still for sale, details here.....

My VR-4 (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4039)

Will consider an offer.

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 04:41 PM
My Rx7 is on ebay at the minute, not the best place to advertise a car but its cheaper than autotrader.

If it sells i'll get back to you guys. I could also be tempted in a p/x deal.

Deano.

Brind
02-09-2004, 08:49 PM
Been driving mine all day which is something I rarely get to do.

I've been stopping and starting and parking here and parking there, and I have to say I'm exhausted!

It may go like sh1t and stick to the road like sh1t to a blanket on the corners at speed!, but you trawl slowly and squeeze into gaps a few times it becomes a BEAST of a car to control.... it has a pathetic turning circle!!!!!!!!!!! :sick: :sick: and you'll find yourself having to shuffle to do many 3 point turns or simply turn out of a simple tight junction.
Also in mine anyway, you have to stamp on the brake to stop the thing, and sometimes especially with the air con running, parking can be an issue when the car wants to surge forward.. which is expected in autos but these are no ordinary cars.

I assume the RX is very agile!!! you WILL find it much different!

I have basis of comparison too, I have access to several high powered and large Mercs to much smaller cars, the VR-4 is a different car and almost bus like. :laugh:
Other than the above it's undoubtably a superb car and does what it does well.

This is all my opinion, but I suggest you try it for yourself.

Nick Mann
02-09-2004, 09:33 PM
I would just like to double check the above statement. Are you saying that the VR4 is not agile? :stunned:

Can I double check that you are talking about slow speed?

I am VERY impressed at what the VR4 is able to do from a handling point of view. The difference from a V6 sport is not measurable. The turning circle is not good (its okay on FWD models - so must be a 4WD thing) but it goes and stops exactly as you want it to. The brakes will need upgrading if you want to stop hard repeatedly, however.

As far as agility goes, watch the video of Pete and Simon hassling a 400 bhp Skyline at Castle Coombe!

Simon
02-09-2004, 09:50 PM
:$ We weren't even trying! :smug: :laugh: :topic: :$

Brind
02-09-2004, 10:09 PM
I would just like to double check the above statement. Are you saying that the VR4 is not agile? :stunned:

Can I double check that you are talking about slow speed?

I am VERY impressed at what the VR4 is able to do from a handling point of view. The difference from a V6 sport is not measurable. The turning circle is not good (its okay on FWD models - so must be a 4WD thing) but it goes and stops exactly as you want it to. The brakes will need upgrading if you want to stop hard repeatedly, however.

As far as agility goes, watch the video of Pete and Simon hassling a 400 bhp Skyline at Castle Coombe!

#
Correct. Low speed.
Correct. It isn't agile at 'low speed'.

Try driving a 200SX for example, you'll know agility when you try one of those.
The 200SX, RX7 ARE sports cars, no matter how you dress the VR-4 up, it is not a sports car and doesn't handle like one.

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 10:21 PM
.... it has a pathetic turning circle!!!!!!!!!!! :sick: :sick:

How true is that.....no more than three days after buying mine I was pulling out of my drive and turning left onto the road, but headed out into the road a little more to give myself enough room to get round my neighbours car parked up on the kerb. I didn't think anything special about it as I'd done this day-in-day-out for the past 3 years in my old V6-24.

Ok, so full lock left at a steady slowish pace, then clobbered the kerb on the opposite side of the road. :Cry1: Damn thing went up on the tyre by about 1" then dropped back down against the alloy tearing a nice fleshy bit of metal of it....absolutely gutted.

Note to self: "turning circle sucks....check!"

SGHOM
02-09-2004, 10:24 PM
#

no matter how you dress the VR-4 up, it is not a sports car and doesn't handle like one.
/note to committee members;

perhaps we could make Brind head of marketing ?? :lipsrseal :laugh: :laugh:

Brind
02-09-2004, 10:26 PM
Thanks Jimbo. That's exactly what I'm trying to get across. :)

I have a long driveway but a small road at the bottom to get onto, I need to drop back while getting as much turn as possible and at the end, I need to drive forward to get more angle just to get off the driveway and onto the road.
The 200SX can almost do a 360 in the driveway. :laugh:

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Blimey, this thread's getting rather diverse isn't it?

:topic: sorrwee! :$

Hey everyone look, there's a VR4 on ebay - check it out HERE (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=18230&item=2488352627&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)

:$ :laugh:

Brind
02-09-2004, 10:28 PM

No need to lie and hide its shortfalls.

Jimbo
02-09-2004, 10:32 PM
No need to lie and hide its shortfalls.

Damn right, no car is perfect. Not many cars have look as good, go as fast, or are as spacious and stealthy as the mighty VR4, but an out-an-out sports car like an GT3000 or an RX7, it aint!

I wouldn't swap though ;)

Kieran
02-09-2004, 10:36 PM
The 200SX, RX7 ARE sports cars, no matter how you dress the VR-4 up, it is not a sports car and doesn't handle like one.

:rolleyes5 "For sale, one VR-4! Not sporty enough! It smells of elderberries!" :laugh: :$ :p

A VR-4 *IS* a Sports Car. But not in the same way as the above. Let me explain...

A VR-4 is a Sports 'Car'... Or a Sports 'saloon' if you wish. Much like the BMW M5 is. It is a car that, thanks to the engineering genius from Mitsubishi, can outpace and out corner most other cars on the road - which inherently makes it a Sports car and with some tweaking, a borderline 'Super' Car.

A 200SX and an RX-7 are Coupes... It sounds a very pedantic point, but it's a valid one. An RX-7 and a 200SX were designed from the ground up in this way and yes, they're "Sports cars" in the same way a Toyota Supra IV or a 3000GT is. They were designed with speed, power and ability at the forefront, and considerations like cost, practicality, etc. as secondary objectives. And they do this job very well (especially the RX-7).

But, any car that can trade blows in speed, power, and handling characteristics with it's 'Sports' rivals is a sports car. The Honda CTR is another example. This is more 'Hot Hatch' than 'Sports Car', yet it displays 'Sports Car' abilities and is therefore a 'Sports Car' on some levels.

And...In a stock against stock competition, I would put money on the fact that a 200SX would be out dragged and thanks to the marvels of AYC and 4WD, probably out cornered too.

Kieran
02-09-2004, 10:38 PM

:lolz: Classic!

SGHOM
02-09-2004, 10:45 PM
#
Correct. Low speed.
Correct. It isn't agile at 'low speed'.

Sorry Mark, but the terms "agile" & "low speed" dont go together in my book.
sure, negotiating Tesco's car park will be a lot easier in other cars than a VR4 !! but whats that got to do with "sports cars" ??

A VR4 [ at any speed above 10mph :$ ] will probably outdrag most cars on the road today, & will almost certainly outhandle them. low speed agility just does not come into it !!

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 10:58 PM
up untill 3 weeks ago i also had a Nissan 200sx S14a. It is a nice comfrtable car with a great engine, and it is very agile and great to drive coz of the rear wheel drive., but i dont the class the 200sx in the same league as the Rx7.

Like i said the 200sx is comfortable, and pacy but not lightining without mods. A VR4 is quicker in standard trim. But i would class the 200sx as a sports tourer. It hasnt got a lot of grip without wider wheels and tires either coz its 205/16 as standard. My 200 had a NurspecR exhaust, Apexi induction, and boost set to 14psi. Thisa made it quick but i was always losing the back end, especially in the wet.

The Rx7 on the other hand is a pure sports car. cramped cabin, big power going straight to the rear wheels, agile as you like, with wide enough rubber to stick. You always feel confident in it, up untill you lose it. You dont get that from the 200. The rex is also a hell of a lot lighter.

I guess the best way to describe the VR4 is as a 'practicle EVO', am i right?

Deano.

mintyfresh
02-09-2004, 11:02 PM
there is no way a legnum VR4 qill out handle my Rx7. THe RX7 was built to rival Toyota's Supra, Nissans 300zx, and the MIstsi GTO. And in my opinion it surpasses all of them becaus eof its near perfect handling and weight.

Surely the VR4 was built to compete with the like of BMW's M3/M5 and the Merc's?

Brind
02-09-2004, 11:05 PM
Okay, lets pick at the words used. :dozey:

You've already got the basic point I was getting at, why read more into it? :rolleyes:

SGHOM
02-09-2004, 11:09 PM
I guess the best way to describe the VR4 is as a 'practicle EVO', am i right?

Deano.
damned right it is mate !! :-b I may be getting on in years now, & all these so called "boy racers" see is a grey haired old man in an automatic estate car !! :D little do they know, until I look at their [ embarressed ] faces in my rear view mirror, is that these cars shift !! :-b
Just ask big Dave about his slight altercation with a taxi !! :laugh: :laugh:

SGHOM
02-09-2004, 11:18 PM
there is no way a legnum VR4 qill out handle my Rx7. THe RX7 was built to rival Toyota's Supra, Nissans 300zx, and the MIstsi GTO. And in my opinion it surpasses all of them becaus eof its near perfect handling and weight.

Surely the VR4 was built to compete with the like of BMW's M3/M5 and the Merc's?
having not driven an RX7, I dont know which car handles better. but I know that a recent track day at Castle coombe, I follwed a toyota Celica GT4 into a chicane, & had to brake much more than I needed to, & he span off !!
have a look at this thread Deano !!

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4850

Kieran
03-09-2004, 07:45 AM
Okay, lets pick at the words used. :dozey:

You've already got the basic point I was getting at, why read more into it? :rolleyes:

Derrr..... Hang on a sec! :thinking: :undecided

You came out with a statement, we responded with our opinions on it! Where's the "Reading more" bit come into it?! :huh: Your basis for saying the VR-4 wasn't a sports car was a poor turning circle and that you find it a handful round town. Then you compared it to a Sports GT type of car and an all-out Sports Coupe. So Jimbo, Derek and I put in our tuppence worth - and some interesting points have been made to help Mintyfresh evaluate what a VR-4 is like!

...Or vos zis a converzation vere opinions zat do nicht co-inzide wid zose of others are verbotten?! :lipsrseal

zentac
03-09-2004, 08:29 AM
Does the VR4 really handle that well ?

enigma
03-09-2004, 08:31 AM
I tried not to get involved.......I did, no really!

A sports car is not a sports car because it has a poor turning circle???

Lets look at the evidence:

VR-4 turning circle 11.6m
Nissan Skyline GTR turning circle 10.4m
Nissan Silvia Spec R turning circle 9.8m
Ferrari 550 Maranello turning circle 12.0m
Lamborghini Countach LP5000S QV turning circle 13.0m
Ford GT40 Mk III turning circle 11.3m
2004 Chevrolet Corvette turning circle 12.0m
Bond Bug 700E turning circle 8.9m
Hillman Imp turning circle 9.6m
Dodge Viper RT/10 turning circle 12.3m
Nissan March i.z turning circle 9.2m
Koenigsegg CC turning circle 10.4m
Porsche 911 Carrera turning circle 10.6m

So which ones are the 'sports cars'

easy the Bond Bug and the Nissan March (Micra)

and the real slouches are the Lamborghini Countach and the Dodge Viper

both the GT40 and the 550 Maranello are rubbish, call themselves sportscars!

Jimbo
03-09-2004, 09:36 AM
That's an interesting list, Dave - quite surprising actually! I think you've misunderstood me though - I wasn't saying it's not a sports car becuase it has a poor turning circle. :rolleyes5

I guess most people's impression of "what is a sports car is" isn't always what it really is, mine included. Sports-cars are fast, yes, but the other characteristics such as agility, weight, muscle, and classic appeal have changed through the decades. In the past 15-20 years, sports cars have just got faster and faster, and I guess my general impressions of sports cars from reading about them as a child are still stuck in the 60s and 70s - like the old Lotuses, Ferraris, E-types, etc.

I'm clearly wrong (but I think most people would be), but I have this mental impression of a "sports-car" as being nimble, agile and in many cases, quite small - I guess the Lotus Elise is one of very few examples of this type of thinking.

The VR4 is my perfect car, but as a car for getting in an out of gaps, it's a nightmare - the combination of it's weight, it's poor turning circle, and it's auto-box make it a bit of a handful at slow speeds when you're not used to it.

That's the only point I was trying to get across, but hey, none of us bought these cars just to drive them to the shops and back :laugh: , and there sure as hell isn't another car out there (less than £50K) that has as good an all-round appeal to me.

So, in summary - the VR4 is a sportscar, but perhaps be should re-classify it as this: "stealthy-familycar-musclecar-sportscar-(with-a-poor-turning-circle-just-like-lots-of-other-cars)". Can we update the buyers guide, Barry? :-D

enigma
03-09-2004, 11:04 AM
A sportscar doesn't need to be agile at slow speeds! :rolleyes5

I know the point you are trying to make (it was however more aimed at Mark!) If you want to know how unmanagable the VR4 can be take your power steering belt off! It then becomes a beast, ask Kieran! I think it is very well balanced, even in the car park, sure its a bit of a pig to park, but that may have something to do with its physical size more than anything else! :dozey:

Compare the VR4 with the 200SX

Wheelbase 2635mm vs 2525mm
Track 1510mm vs 1480mm
Length 4680mm vs 4520mm
Width 1740mm vs 1730mm

The VR4 is simply a bigger car!

Incidentally the 3000GT 'true' sports car has a turning circle of 11.4m, almost exactly the same as the VR4. In all other respects it is similar as well, except mine is faster and I would argue handles better! ;)

I think you hit the nail on the head when you said it can be a handful if you are not used to it.........drive it every day and it becomes normal. Its like any sort of training, the more you do it the more you get used to it. I drove mine for 4 days with no power steering along the twistiest roads England and Scotlan had to offer, when it was fixed I thought the front wheels were off the ground it was so light!

I dont mean to rant, but I truly believe the VR4 IS a sportscar - in fact it is that and more, especially in Estate format :D

Jimbo
03-09-2004, 11:37 AM
I dont mean to rant

Hey, not at all mate, I've found this discussion extremely interesting. :)

Incidently, I've been asking people at work what the first car is when they think of "sportscar", and all but one person said "Ferrari!" Typical... :laugh: The other "one" person said, "your VR4", but I reckon he was just sucking up :laugh:

Here's another one that I've got people at work talking about:- What's the difference between a "sportscar" and a "supercar"?

So far, my esteemed colleagues have responded "The price!?" :dozey: :laugh:

enigma
03-09-2004, 11:42 AM
There is still one for sale on EBAY as well :p

nick-f1
04-09-2004, 11:58 AM
I think Kierans and BDA's points are most relevant and whether a VR4 / Legnum is a sports car is academic. You are not comparing like for like and its down to want you want from a car, the 200sx sucks- its sh**e ( sorry Jimbo )and is made from bean tins! We can argue all day but for me my Legnum vr4 is the perfect car, a stealth-mobile and even my nephew is jealous in some respects and he drives a nissan 300zx twin turbo! For my two pennyworth anyway you can keep your coupes........... unless its a Dodge Viper of course :lipsrseal :$

KiwiTT
04-09-2004, 09:43 PM
I noticed the VR-4 was heavier than I was expecting, the turning circle is/can be a pain. However the VR-4 has it's good points, compared to other cars here in New Zealand.

We have a lot of 4-door V8's here. (i.e. www.holden.com.au, www.ford.com.au), heaps of power, but no roadholding. Owners I know, complain of no traction, can't get the power down, use gallons of petrol and make a VR-4 look economical :D (e.g. 20-25 litres per 100 km)

You can compare up againsts Commodores/Monaros and Falcons, or down with EVO's and WRX's. The VR-4 can out-handle a Commodore/Falcon and out cruise an EVO/WRX. A good compromose for most.

As I said previously; This is a "Gentleman's EVO" an audacious "Sports Sedan"

PS: These are my categories of cars

Sportscar: Lightweight two-seaters: Elise, MX-5, MR-2, S2000, etc
Rally Car: Small, Agile sedans; WRX, EVO, etc.
GT Car: Large two-seaters: Astons, Ferrari 456, 550, etc, GTO, Supra, RX-7, etc.
Sports Sedan: 4-door/4-seaters: VR-4, M5, Commodore/Falcon, Legacys, S60Rs, AMG Mercs, etc.
Super Car: Lamborghini, Ferrari F40/F50, McLaren, etc.

While they are all cars and could be considered sports, I believe we need some definition here.

enigma
05-09-2004, 05:49 PM
An excellent summary, thanks Richard!!! :D