PDA

View Full Version : Tinworm

wirdy
30-08-2004, 12:06 AM
Had the Legnum up on the ramps today for it's 3000 mile oil change + check over.
I was surprised by the amount of surface corrosion on all underbody components since I was last underneath in February. My poor car spent the first 6 yrs of its life in Japan and came here looking absolutely pristine underneath - but two years of bleedin' UK road salt and its beginning to look like all the rest.
A liberal coating of waxoyl & corrosion inhibitor keeps it at bay now but the suspension lower arms were the worst - quite a lot of surface corrosion along the seam welds.
Maybe time for some others to get out their pot of grease & old toothbrush? or am I just keeping my car well looked after for its next owner?

Kieran
30-08-2004, 11:31 AM
It's not just the jap ones, Nige. I was ferreting about under Hordak's wheel arches a couple of weekends ago, blasting with the karacher washer, getting the dirt out, removing the plastic wheelarch liners and then brushing waxoyl-enriched underbody seal over every visible bit of exposed metal. Whilst Hordak has more protection than a JDM Galant (especially if yours is a warm-area specification car, like Project VX - which is disturbingly under-protected), I was surprised at the lack of underbody protection. Some seams were showing the first signs of grot - which I've promptly attacked with extreme prejudice!

I've still got to do the nearside arches, so I'll try and get some pictures taken... But yes, I agree. ALL Galant/Legnum owners, UK or JDM should get their cars inspected and treated. And I would say to do it before the next winter gets here!

The Vee
30-08-2004, 10:32 PM
yep good advice K, was looking at mine - just the same. Waxoyl to the fore !!

SGHOM
30-08-2004, 10:50 PM
unfortunately, I dont have this problem !! :$ :$

Kieran
30-08-2004, 11:09 PM
unfortunately, I dont have this problem !! :$ :$

Eh? How come?

zedy1
30-08-2004, 11:12 PM
dereks car get automatically lubricated with atf fluid :-D

Kieran
30-08-2004, 11:14 PM
dereks car get automatically lubricated with atf fluid :-D

Oh yes, of course! :laugh: Forgot about that! Derek's car has the cleanest gearbox too! The fluid gets changed about once a month! :-D

Roadrunner
30-08-2004, 11:32 PM
I had my car Ziebarted as soon as I got it, so there's a lovely thick coating of black stuff keeping the rust at bay :)

Brian

wirdy
31-08-2004, 06:47 PM
Keep an eye on your rusty wishbones Brian - it's just the floorpan / cavities covered by Ziebarting ain't it?

Roadrunner
31-08-2004, 08:35 PM
Keep an eye on your rusty wishbones Brian - it's just the floorpan / cavities covered by Ziebarting ain't it?
Wishbones look fine, Ziebart was everywhere ... propshaft, wheels, tyres, sills, suspension arms, track rods, etc., etc. ... No wonder they shut down :rolleyes: But there's no rust on my car :D :D

wirdy
31-08-2004, 10:26 PM
Ziebart was everywhere ... tyres......... But there's no rust on my car :D :D

Pesky things, those rusty tyres eh? :-D

Mr Ziebart could perhaps be congratulated for preserving to this day some wonderful cars.......Austin Maxi's...Morris Marina's...Austin Allegro's.....

or maybe not :laugh: :laugh:

Glad your car is not suffering. :)

Kieran
25-09-2005, 06:37 PM
Just a footnote on this. I have spent the entire afternoon grovelling about underneath Ariadne with my trusty waxoyl sprayer. I've used about 5 litres of it just on the underneath of the car and the rear wheel arches - Haven't done the fronts yet!! :rolleyes4 :rolleyes4

Anyway, on to the point of this post. My car landed in the UK in 2003, so it's been here about two and a half years. Considering the car is nearly 9 years old, the underneath is okay, but, like Nigel, I am pretty sure that most of the rot has been caused by our roads. My car looks like it was a cold-area car, as it has more underseal than project VX, but there were large slabs of metal with no protection at all - Like the chassis rails and most of the passenger compartment floor! /help

If you own a Jap import, and it's not been undersealed, or you haven't inspected it recently, do so before another winter passes. These cars can and will rust like their 1970s brethren if neglected!! /yes

wirdy
25-09-2005, 09:19 PM
We'll convert them all eventually K. :thumbsup: /yes