PDA

View Full Version : Rattle from rear of Galant saloon

Kryton
03-08-2010, 09:39 PM
I have had a rattle / flapping noise come from the back of my car since I have had it. It happens at speed but not all the time.

1st of all, I thought it was my rear number plate, so I wedged some foam under it & it didn't cure it.

I then thought it could be the rear wiper, but I have had people in the back when it has made the noise & the wiper wasn't moving / lifting at all.

I have had my car on ramps today looking under it & nothing seems to be loose or rattling under the rear so no cables / wires flapping agains my rear bumper so the only other thing could be my spoiler, but even that seems tight.

Last time it made this noise JTG was in my car & he said that his has made this noise before but no where near as often & he doesn't know what could be causing it either.

Has anyone else on here with a saloon had a similar issue & did you manage to sort it. I hate rattles at the best of times & not knowing the cause is now starting to grind on me a bit. Any help would be much appreciated.

mike74
03-08-2010, 09:51 PM
Could it be loose tools under the boot floor or, a loose peice of rubber around the boot lid?

Kryton
03-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Possibly, I will take a look. Its quite annoying though because it doesn't do it all the time so I keep thinking I've sorted it :( it would make sense if its a seal as it sounds like the parcel shelf rattling

Paul J
03-08-2010, 10:11 PM
When I first bought my Galant I was giving it a good look over and hoover out. In the boot I noticed in the right hand cornerthe carpet was out of shape a bit as it is quite stiff so I took it out to have a look at it and there is a kind of a vent in the corner that was loose/forced out and bend the metal that should hold it in place. It look like some one has tryed to put something too big in the back(should have had an estate) So perhaps look there as that vent was resting against the inside of the top of the bumper which you couldn't see from the out side.
Happy hunting. Paul J

Barney
03-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Shock Absorbers?

BraindG
05-08-2010, 07:22 PM
As has been said above, it's possible for items to fall down the sides and end up behind the rear wheel arch - there is a large void there, things end up there . The one of the left needs the plastic tray/thing unscrewing and removing to access - the one on the right needs some of the lining moving to gain access.

On a random note after the first time I removed my clutch I had a rattle at a certain rev, upon removing it for a second time I found I didn't tighten up one of the bolts on the bellhousing, oops. So something along those lines is not impossible.