PDA

View Full Version : Max-rev's ?

Big Ian
30-08-2004, 03:48 PM
while playing with a mazda 6 today,ive found my car will rev "well in to the red".i held it in 2nd and 3rd at over 7400rpm......when should the limiter kick in?

SGHOM
30-08-2004, 03:54 PM
I may be wrong, but I dont think you have a rev limiter with the manual 'box !! only the auto. all you will get is valve bounce !! :rolleyes5 & you dont want that too often !! :sad3: :sad3:

ritch_w
30-08-2004, 04:08 PM
manuals should stil have a rev limiter - my golf gti had a fault with timing and the rev limiter kicked in at 5500rpm - way before the red line!

after it was sorted it the limiter kicked in at 6500rpm - way past peak power anyway ;)

Big Ian
30-08-2004, 04:11 PM
all i got at 7400rpm was the feeling i could have got more rev's? on other car's ive owned,it's felt like a slap on the back of the head and the power drop's till you change up a gear
also i thought any car with fuel injection has a rev limiter.
does anyone know what i'd be looking for if i was looking for a chipped ECU? i feel my car has to much power for a 2.0ltr? :laugh: :p

Wodjno
31-08-2004, 10:28 AM
all i got at 7400rpm was the feeling i could have got more rev's? on other car's ive owned,it's felt like a slap on the back of the head and the power drop's till you change up a gear
does anyone know what i'd be looking for if i was looking for a chipped ECU? i feel my car has to much power for a 2.0ltr? :laugh: :p
Hi .. i've had 7600rpm from my tiptronic with no limiter and like was said b4 , the feeling that it just wanted to keep going but i thought it not wise .. that was in 2nd and 3rd .. I also thought that they had rev limiter .. found out by mistake cos i thought i was in auto giving it it a bit of stick with a Saab 95 aero hot ..I thought i'm sure it should have changed up by now , looked down as the needle was whizzing by the 7000rpm redline and hit the stick shift and it changed up at 7600rpm .. so i tried it again in 3rd with the same result .. ??

ritch_w
31-08-2004, 12:48 PM

you need to get ur car on a rolling road mate !!! see how many horses its pumping out! :-b

enigma
31-08-2004, 01:05 PM
I have bounced mine off the limiter many many times!!! It is at around 7500rpm on the VR4, with the redline some 250rpm below this.

It makes quite a cool effect, but I am not sure its great for the engine!! :lipsrseal

Polabear
31-08-2004, 07:01 PM
I have bounced mine off the limiter many many times!!! It is at around 7500rpm on the VR4, with the redline some 250rpm below this.

It makes quite a cool effect, but I am not sure its great for the engine!! :lipsrseal

For what it's worth I get fuel cut at 72-7300.... :sad3: now is that true fuel cut..or would an uprated pump fix it..? Hmmm

ako
30-09-2004, 06:57 AM
Rev cuts sometimes decided by the ecu - and it varies at times. Mines NORMALLY set at 8200, however its dropped to about 7700, though I get the feeling thats a tacho thats not reading properly more than anything. Still hits the same speed in each gear anyway.

And as for a car not having a rev limiter... We're not in the stone age here!!! :rolleyes:

Also, the limiter on different cars varies HUGELY. You'll find some cars have a "soft" cut, then a "hard" cut - you can feel the difference. One's to stop you revving too high in a gear, the other is protection against the old "5th gear.. drop back to... 2nd :rolleyes5 ". Mines soley a hard cut - cuts ignition only, leaving me with nice big flames out the back if I've gotten things warm enough. You'll find that lower down models in the food chain will have a very soft cut - the revs just kind of stop going higher, whereas a hard cut... you know what you've hit :D