PDA

View Full Version : Extra seat???6/7 seat legnum???

bakerboy-2007
05-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Hi to all,

Knock me down with a feather today but the wife is expecting so I need a 6 seater car......

Goodbye leggie?????? NO I say!!!! YES says the wife.....

So bin thinking all day while looking about the net, the best car I'm gonna find is a zafira gsi that I can remap ....

I saw the way volvo fit 2 extra seats in the boot (rear facing) and wondered if anyone had ever tried this in a legnum???

Has anyone any advice on this??I can source the belts and seats from a Volvo breakers for £50 !!!

Seems a cheap way to keep my vr4 , as I only have 4 kids on a weekend as 2 live with my ex,

Cheers

John TheAntique
05-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I had a Volvo with two in the boot and I recon they could fit. Why don't you go up the breakers wih a tape measure or pop along to a Volvo dealer and see if you can take a look at one.

Atik
05-08-2010, 06:34 PM
I had thought about this a while back and cant see why it would be a problem. The floor plan in the boot will support some additional welded bits to make way for the mounting points for a two seat bench. Would they be fitted with lap belts (easy) or 3-pt belts (harder).

I would expect that the bench back could be braced on a 'rear strut brace' type deal, with the base having some welded mounting points, so as to give you the ability to remove it when you need the boot.

Be an interesting project to keep an eye on if you do decide to tackle it.

bakerboy-2007
05-08-2010, 06:47 PM
I am going to give it a crack and see where the fixings will be! And measure it up , I have a roof box I can put on if I need extra space,

If I completed this I would have the fastest mini bus around.....

bakerboy-2007
05-08-2010, 06:50 PM
Oh I was thinking lap belts as I can fit the child seats to this best and then just add a mirror to keep an eye on them!!!

BillHardy
05-08-2010, 07:13 PM
I would have thought if you do this then surely it will come under MOT standards and have to conform to some safety legislation?

John TheAntique
05-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Mine were in the boot well and could be folded down so you woudn't even know they were there

bakerboy-2007
05-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I know I would have to get a sva assesment and change the v5 so not to get into trouble with plod...

Don't know if I would need a new mot or not ???

John how did you mount the seats in yours???

bradc
05-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Buy an odyssey for the wife

chris g
05-08-2010, 07:55 PM
So get the Mitsubishi Legnum 7 seater...

But it's called a Delica and has a diesel but it is 2.8...

bradc
05-08-2010, 08:00 PM
One of these:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Mitsubishi/Chariot/auction-295780786.htm

They are kind of built on a half 8G platform crossed with a magna, have the 6G72 with over 200hp and some have 4wd. That one is pretty damned pimping in Alamo Green as well :D

bakerboy-2007
05-08-2010, 08:13 PM
Cheers guys I will look into it that looks ace! And for the same budget as a vr4 wonder if any importers will have one about???

Confused
05-08-2010, 10:22 PM
I think we've got a rear seat in beige leather still in the garage :)

We got it thrown in when we bought the Galant a couple of years ago.

John TheAntique
05-08-2010, 10:30 PM
I know I would have to get a sva assesment and change the v5 so not to get into trouble with plod...

I didn't, they were a Volvo extra already fitted when I bought it.

Wodjno
05-08-2010, 10:37 PM
This is 1 thing i wouldn't do .. And something that makes me cringe everytime i see rear facing seats, with little kiddies faces just a few feet off the rear tailgate. And there legs just inches /help.
I would never put my kids in that situation. 1 rear end smash and :skull: :sick:

This is the main reason i like larger cars. Large crumple zones front ant rear /yes But i wouldn't like to think of a child in that crumple zone :oops:

Wodj

John TheAntique
05-08-2010, 10:38 PM

I didn't, they were a Volvo extra already fitted when I bought it.

aboo
05-08-2010, 11:12 PM
This is 1 thing i wouldn't do .. And something that makes me cringe everytime i see rear facing seats, with little kiddies faces just a few feet off the rear tailgate. And there legs just inches /help.
I would never put my kids in that situation. 1 rear end smash and :skull: :sick:

This is the main reason i like larger cars. Large crumple zones front ant rear /yes But i wouldn't like to think of a child in that crumple zone :oops:

Wodj
Have to agree that's what put me of the Zafira gsi. I know there facing the front but there right at the back. Scary thought imo.

bakerboy-2007
05-08-2010, 11:32 PM
:sad3: :sad3: :sad3: Cheers for the advice guys, just been looking at some chariot models Does anyone know which is the
best spec?
Bhp?
Is there a turbo model?

I think this is the better option and looks like I will have to let the old leggie go!!! :-(

bradc
05-08-2010, 11:50 PM
Chariot's are available with a 2.4 and a 3.0. The 3.0 is heaps smoother being a v6 and is by far the best option. They are a bit thirstier though.

They may have been sold with a diseasel in the UK?

The other option is the 03 to 10 Grandis which is available in diseasel.

elnevio
06-08-2010, 12:16 AM
I thought there was a version of the Chariot (in much the same vein as the RVR) that was available with the 2.0 4G63T Evo engine?

bakerboy-2007
06-08-2010, 10:16 AM
Which models have which engine??
Cheers for all the useful info everyone

BillHardy
07-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Iv'e had 2 Renault Espace RXE V6's,a 92 and a 93 they go like stink and hold the road quite well but are expensive on parts and perhaps too old for your requirements but well equiped. We slepped in ours overnight on a trip to Germany and it was fairly comfy with all the seats reclined plus all seats can be removed with ease

andyleaves
08-08-2010, 12:52 AM
Renault Avangarde??? thing actually a nice motor..

Or you should be able to get of these really cheap now, you might need to do a little work to the body, but the motor will be sound...

Saxon (http://www.army.mod.uk/equipment/fighting-vehicles/1477.aspx)

bakerboy-2007
10-08-2010, 12:02 AM
ha ha ha lmao

the Saxon looks great do you think I might get one in red???

I have been tracking down a charriot grandis import found one finishing tomorrow on fleebay so fingers crossed it inthe budget