PDA

View Full Version : car steers to left..any ideas?

funkstardelux
06-08-2010, 06:30 PM
i've had the tracking done by 3 different garages now , the steering wheel when straight the car drives straight, but if i let go the wheel turns to the left, i've changed the drop links, the track ends..the lower straight arm and curved have been changed..
could be the garages are not doing it right or a problem with my car?
any help would be greatful

Ghost_2008
06-08-2010, 06:49 PM
Is the road completely flat....... I dont mean to sound patronising however I know I have questioned this before, in previous cars and the Leggy, but sometimes the road is curved enough to cause the car to move left (or right) of it's own accord, alternatively the lorries and buses leave heavy divets which again can try to lead the car.........

It sounds like you have changed everything that could cause this problem....... how are the brakes, is the left sticking?? How's tyre wear?

funkstardelux
06-08-2010, 06:55 PM
it was the same on the motorways coming back from nic manns let go and go left.
i haven;t checked the brakes i'll try that over the weekend as i need to flush my heater matrix as it sort of working.

Wodjno
06-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Have you checked your tyre pressures ? And have you got matching tyres, left to right ?

funkstardelux
06-08-2010, 07:06 PM
checked last week , i;ll double checkthem tomorrow, same tyres all round ..i'm starting to pull my hair out, it was perfect until i changed the droplinks and track ends...
my mate think i may need to change the track rods them selves as they look rather ...old.

Wodjno
06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Well theres only the track ends that would cause the issue from the parts that have been changed If it was all ok before you changed those parts! Have the wheels been put back on the same sides they were removed from ?

Ghost_2008
06-08-2010, 08:04 PM
checked last week , i;ll double checkthem tomorrow, same tyres all round ..i'm starting to pull my hair out, it was perfect until i changed the droplinks and track ends...
my mate think i may need to change the track rods them selves as they look rather ...old.

Best way to check your track rod's or rod ends is simply take a firm grip of the wheel at 3 & 9 (if it were a clock) and give it a good hard tug left and right, if it moves then there is play in either ball joint or the rod end.......... you should be able to do this without jacking the car up, but that obviously helps.......... if there's no play then they should be fine, when the tracking is done they adjust the rod ends, so the garages you have been to should have picked that up........

Take the car for a five minute drive, get out and check the temperature at the front wheels, if your brake is sticking it will be quite a bit hotter than the other, you may also have some signs of wear on the disk, possibly grooves starting to appear.......

funkstardelux
06-08-2010, 08:25 PM
ill defo do that, think it could be the track rods they look really past it

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 04:04 PM
checked the wheels on a ramp..no movement anymore but mate said the new wheel i put on the fron tcould be the cause lots more treat than the other side..time to do some swapping.

miller
09-08-2010, 04:49 PM
When you say tracked was it 4 wheel aligned or just the fronts tracked?

These cars really need the 4wheel alignment done to ensure correct roll!

Should take between 30 - 40mins and cost around £40

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 04:53 PM
had four wheel done now at 2 different garages, one was laser other camera, going to swap tyres to see if that make a difference.

mike74
09-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I don't suppose you've checked the height of the car at the wheel arches have you? I'm thinking that if you've got a broken or weak spring then the ride height at a corner may be different to the other side & give you dodgy alignment.
Just a thought anyway...

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 05:26 PM
no its good point i'll check it out

elnevio
09-08-2010, 05:59 PM
What size tyres are you running? Did they come from another vehicle? Sometimes wide tyres and/or wear characteristics from another car can make a vehicle 'pull' to one side. The wide tyres also make it more likely to 'pull' with the camber, I have found.

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 06:38 PM
standard 16 bbs alloys with right sized p6000 all round.
just the one passenger side changed few weeks ago for new as it was..not legal..lol

Ghost_2008
09-08-2010, 10:01 PM
Well I thinks it gotta be the new tread vs a worn tyre....... I'm sure if you have had the tracking done at two garages they would have noticed a broken spring or something more sinister.......... really you should change at the very least both tyre on an axcel....... I know it's expensive but it's worth it in the long run ............ and given the AYC system I'm not sure I would run uneven tyres, I'm sure over time it could cause issues with the rear diff/AYC system........

I hope this is it..... has it only been there since you changed the tyre????

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 10:07 PM
not sure to be honest as i changed the track rod ends and droplinks and tyre around the same time. but def no movement in the wheels now. so not a bush problem. must be tread difference i can conclude to this never ending tacking mystery..ahhh doctor watson..just in time for tea

GalantOnly
09-08-2010, 10:32 PM
After an accident when my car was hit in front right corner by another while it was parked, it begun to steer to right. After changing of whole right hub carrier, the things was normal again...

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 10:39 PM
nothing like that thankfully, on bash i had was in feb when somene drove into my doors but after repair the car drove straight as an arrow

taylor
10-08-2010, 02:27 PM
I had a similar issue when i first got the vr4. Was just uneven tyre wear. However we did adjust the tracking away from what the machine told us to get it to trac correctly. oviously reversing it when I got new tyres

funkstardelux
10-08-2010, 09:57 PM
aye thats what the garage guy said..mate also, so going to change other front tyre and see if that cures it.

mike74
11-08-2010, 08:52 AM
Before you replace the tyre, try swapping the front/back wheels around to see if that cures it or not. If it does then at least you know whats wrong with it :)

funkstardelux
12-08-2010, 06:37 PM
had tyre changed today , need to take it for a drive but till seems a bit to left think take to garage to have tracking looked at

funkstardelux
13-08-2010, 02:20 PM
took it back to garage, it was way off...muppet before did a crap job, anyhow sorted now..see how it feels this week.

funkstardelux
16-08-2010, 11:12 PM
tracking still bloody off...arghhhh

mike74
17-08-2010, 08:45 AM
Time to check all bushes & springs I think...possibly the rack mounts too

bigsed
17-08-2010, 10:30 AM
Have you changed the hub carriers at any point? I was battling left pull for ages, no amount of tracking would sort it out. Turns out the hub carriers I bought we ever so slightly off. Put a new set on and, had the alignment done again and all is perfect once more :)

funkstardelux
17-08-2010, 09:28 PM
no hub carriers still the same, i think it may be track rods, but also the the place i took it too used the settings from the wrong year of galant, they used the model before ours