PDA

View Full Version : Installing oil sandwich plate (for gauges)

Atik
09-08-2010, 12:01 PM
I have asked the guru Nick Mann, but he wasn't 100% sure on the answer, so I open the question to the masses here...

I want to install a sandwich plate before the oil filter (for two oil gauges), but having had brand new Amsoil only a thousand or so miles ago, I dont wanna have to drain/lose it all. So I wanted to know if I simply undo the oil filter, will ALL the oil fall out or do I just lose the tiny bit that remains in the filter?

Hoping the answer is the second one so I can get it all fitted soon as.

orionn2o
09-08-2010, 12:02 PM
If you can turn the car on its side, that might help ;)

(sorry no useful input as i dont know how high the filter is relative to the sump... well infact I just cant remember)

Atik
09-08-2010, 12:09 PM
If you can turn the car on its side, that might help ;)

(sorry no useful input as i dont know how high the filter is relative to the sump... we'll infact I just cant remember)
PMSL Thanks Matt :p

:karate:

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 12:11 PM
as the oil filter is under the engine design as opposed to side i would say you would loose alot of oil

miller
09-08-2010, 12:24 PM
remembering where the oil filter is housed on the V6 i guess you would lose anywhere between a 1/4 and a 1/2 of your oil in there.

Or just hang fire for another couple of thousand miles! Im waiting impatiently for new sensors to go in the Evo sump yet have another 2thou miles to go. I think im just going to say sod it and refresh the oil. Cant do anything but good for it!

Atik
09-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Yeah, gonna have to be patient I think then. Only problem is that its gonna start getting cold soon and I dont fancy working out under the car in the snow! /lol

But if I get too impatient, I suppose I'll probably just get some new oil. Already got 2.5l of spare Amsoil...

How about catching all the oil that drains out and re-using it (provided its still clean)?

John TheAntique
09-08-2010, 12:40 PM
Just go for 100 mile drive every evening, enjoy, you'll need a change much sooner.

Ghost_2008
09-08-2010, 12:46 PM
Alternatively drain the oil into a container, remover the filter fit the filter with sandwitch plate and fill her back up wit the oil you drained.........

If the oil is very new it wont be a problem........... you might lose a small amount but nothing to sustantial.......

Atik
09-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Alternatively drain the oil into a container, remover the filter fit the filter with sandwitch plate and fill her back up wit the oil you drained.........

If the oil is very new it wont be a problem........... you might lose a small amount but nothing to sustantial.......
Thats what I am thinking of doing now... probably tackle this on the weekend.

Ralliart1
09-08-2010, 12:57 PM
Atik,the oil filter is placed above the sump,you should loose just a small amount of oil.
Couple of days ago I fit a sandwich plate on my car.I did the oilchange as well,so the oil was drained.
Anyway,my opinion is that just remove the filter,fit the s.plate and fill back to level oil.If you remove carefully the filter you can save the oil from it as well.

scott.mohekey
09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I have to agree with ralliart1, the filter is not only above the sump, its a good way up the side of the block, and its fed by the oil pump, which gets its oil from the pick up. I very much doubt you will lose more than whats in the filter. Also, as the car will be jacked up at the front, there will be even less chance of loss.

Nick Mann
09-08-2010, 01:53 PM
That was my feeling - the oil lost will be relatively small.

But never having taken a filter off before drining the oil, I wasn't sure!

Atik
09-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Excellent :) Thanks guys

amsoil
12-08-2010, 09:17 AM
I have to agree with ralliart1, the filter is not only above the sump, its a good way up the side of the block, and its fed by the oil pump, which gets its oil from the pick up. I very much doubt you will lose more than whats in the filter. Also, as the car will be jacked up at the front, there will be even less chance of loss.

Key bit is above, the filter is fed by the oil pump therfore you can only loose some of the oil in the oil gallery between the pump and filter, wont be much at all. Do consider that the filter will be lower by the thickness of the sandwich plate and might be then liable to being hit by kerbs or very big bumps. The EAO13 (SDF13) filter is shorter and will do the jobby if this is the case.

Gly
12-08-2010, 10:07 AM
ive never had an issue with the full length long filter on my san plate,

you'd haae to be extremely low (no springs) or doing something very daft to damage the filter, it sits about as low as the tow hook, does

Atik
12-08-2010, 10:29 AM
I had considered this, and concluded that as I am on normal spring height, I'd be fine. Looks like a plan for the weekend provided the weather plays nice.

Nick Mann
12-08-2010, 11:44 AM
The Amsoil EAO20 filter (Which is the filter recommended for the VR4 by Don) is longer than the standard Mitsubishi item. Not by much, but with a lowered car and a sandwich plate, I'd just start to be double checking. A shorter filter would potentially make me happier in those circumstances.

TBH I'd want to look at a low car with a sandwich plate before I made the decision.

Ralliart1
12-08-2010, 07:44 PM
The Amsoil EAO20 filter (Which is the filter recommended for the VR4 by Don) is longer than the standard Mitsubishi item. Not by much, but with a lowered car and a sandwich plate, I'd just start to be double checking. A shorter filter would potentially make me happier in those circumstances.

TBH I'd want to look at a low car with a sandwich plate before I made the decision.

Will post here a picture at weekend Nick.Now I have fitted a genuine Mitsi oil filter,but I`m using usualy the UFI one from opie,wich is longer than the original.

amsoil
15-08-2010, 07:25 PM
Guess it all depends on how thick the sandwich plate is really. If I had a choice i would take direct off the main oil gallery; most cars have blanking plugs of some form where the block is cross drilled for the main bearing oil feed. But I dopn't knoe if this is practical on the v6?