PDA

View Full Version : i've been swindled

denise
09-08-2010, 01:24 PM
I contacted Mr Ali of A***** Cars last Sunday regarding a car he had advertised on Autotrader. I queried him on the vehicles service history (he told me it had a full 4 stamp history from Toyota), i queried the mileage, (he said the history matched mileage), and i also queried the description immaculate (as i informed him it was very important to me,) and he said it was immaculate inside and out. On that basis i agreed a 200 pound deposit and i would book the flights and ferry and we would pay the rest on collection of the vehicle.
On arrival on Friday 06 August at the Airport Mr Ali collected us. He took us to his home to look at the car. The car had 2 scratches on the windscreen, had been keyed up the nearside, had a number of small scratches around the car that had been poorly touched up, all alloys were scuffed and some corroded, and there was a hole in the front bumper. I asked why in particular he had not told me about the keying and he said that it had happened on the Wednesday and he hadn't told me as he didn't want me to not come. I looked around the car and told him that the car did not suit my idea of immaculate and he merely shrugged his shoulders. I told him that i would have to replace the passenger door at the very least and he agreed to knock 100 pound off for this. At this point my boyfriend noticed that the paint was slightly different at the offside rear. I asked why this was and Mr Ali said that someone had bumped him on the rear arch and made a dent that he had got repaired and sprayed. I asked him was this logged against the car or its insurance and he said no. We drove the vehicle and it seemed fine and with 12 months mot we accepted his word and completed the sale. He gave us a receipt for the car in the Trade name A***** Cars and we left to make our ferry. On our return I looked up the number for hpi by text as i was unsettled still by the sale. On doing this i received a text to say that the car is a category D insurance write off, written off on the 17/03/10. The car also only has 3 services recorded on the printout from Toyota World ( not the seller!)in Birmingham, not 4 as described, and the mileages for service don't match. I have contacted Mr Ali by text, as he is not answering my calls or voice, and told him that i want the full money paid for the car 2300 pounds and 140 to get the car sent back on a transporter to him. I am willing to forgo my costs as a lesson to check the hpi before i buy again, but i am unwilling to own an insurance writeoff. What can i do?

miller
09-08-2010, 01:44 PM
This makes my blood boil....legally contact the police, he has to declare its a CAT D at time of sale plus notify you of any HPi outstanding on it.

Right now the Finance company owns your car im afraid to say.

If it was me I would be knocking on doors. and knocking very loudly

Nutter_John
09-08-2010, 01:45 PM
Sorry to ask but given that an HPI check costs £10 or even free on certain forums why did you not check before even going to see the car

Second contact trading standards in his local area and report him , if he is a trader and the car has been sold under his trade ID then he is obliged to inform the customer of the cars status on the register before sale

denise
09-08-2010, 02:01 PM
I did not hpi it as i meant to do it at the mans address but was so put out by the keying of the door and the need to get on that i couldnt think to ring my pal in Toyota to do it for me. I had put myself under pressure to arrive in b'ham at 9:40am and be in stranraer 300+ miles away at 7 that evening for the ferry.

I have contacted trading standards, i have already been made aware that the term sold as seen does not apply here as he is a trader and i am a consumer. So I am going to contact autotrader, The birmingham council to advise the area which licences traders, anybody else?

Nutter_John
09-08-2010, 02:08 PM
not sure who else you could go to but do keep copies of everything you do

lancerevo3
09-08-2010, 02:22 PM
personally id be back to him with the car and not leaving without a good one or money back

funkstardelux
09-08-2010, 05:28 PM
contact the fuzz

statham234
09-08-2010, 05:52 PM
contact the krays !! might make him think twice before ripping other people off .hate wa****s like him

Turbo_Steve
09-08-2010, 05:53 PM
Not sure if the police would be that interested in a "civil" matter? It comes down to whether or not Mr. Ali's actions could be classed as fradulent.

I'd drop an e-mail of the above to the Citizen's Advice Beureau, as they can be extremely helpful. It might be worth asking the police if this is worth a crime reference number.

For what it's worth - no matter how much you've spent, if you ever "don't feel right" about a car - cut your losses and walk away.

denise
09-08-2010, 11:37 PM
Lol, contact the krays, thanks for the laugh! I'm kinda sorry I played down the all Irish having terrorist links thing now, maybe that woulda helped lol!
Have had replies from the trading standards people who are going to ring me tomorrow when I'm not at work, and autotrader. Autotrader have also offered me a legal line to ring for advice on this situation so il keep ya posted on that. They are also recommending I contact the police and trading standards (done). They also offered to send me another copy of the full advert etc and couldn't have been more helpful. So I will contact the west midland police tomorrow regarding this, and also answer any queries that the trading standards people have. It's all so much hassle but I'm fed up with unscrupulous people taking the p*** and making it hard for others to buy or sell genuine cars.
I am also going to contact the dvla as he admitted to some things that he shouldn't have done in reference to how he taxed his cars etc. I'm sure they will want to look into that. If he was genuine we coulda sorted this between ourselves, but hus silence speaks volumes.
And yes turbo Steve, in hindsight I shoulda walked away, but now I am getting myself a lesson that hopefully I and others can learn from. I will put all up on here so if it can help others then something good came outa it.

denise
11-08-2010, 11:09 PM
As a brief update, Mr Ali texted back today to say that he would not sell anyone an ingenuine car and that I had a look at the car for 20 mins so how could it not be ok? I had to explain to him that there's no label on the car or it's paperwork to say it's a category d, i could only get that info from him or hpi. He admitted that he had only fixed the arch and that he told me about that, and he believed I got the car for a good price compared to the others on Autotrader. I have pointed out that theyare the same price but not WRITEN OFF! I also told him that the goods didnot match description, he had been unlawful in not disclosing this history even when questioned, and i have a good case for fraud too. He's gone quiet again....

elnevio
12-08-2010, 12:51 AM
Hang in there, and good luck. /yes

denise
23-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Trading standards have informed me that they are going to launch CRIMINAL investigations into this guy. My partner and I are to go to give witness statements next week. As far as the civil end is concerned, I had to write a letter informing him that he had 7 days to refund my money plus costs as I have rejected the goods based on them not being as described. If this does not happen then I have to send a further letter on wed to threaten court action. If this doesn't get any further response then court summons will be made.

tonyfazer
23-08-2010, 02:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your situation.....Mr Ali obviously has no morals!!!.....Hope things go in your favour.....Good luck..

Tony