PDA

View Full Version : (Yet Another) Boost Controller Thread!

Maxus
09-08-2010, 10:06 PM
Hey Guys!

I know, I know!! Sorry...but i need to pick yer brains! :huh2:

I am eyeing up a boost controller as part of a "Road Map" Gizmo & Foxdie lined up for my VR4. Now i am currently torn between the following 2 controllers and wanted to see what peoples thoughts or opinions on them were from experience:
Apexi AVCR
I have heard mixed reviews about this, people seem to enjoy the look and report some kick-ass gains. However others have reported nothing but problems, i even read that one guy lost an engine due to one of these things...Thoughts?
Blitz Dual SBC
This one seems (from my googleing...) to be your run of the mill "Does the job" kinda boost controller. Not a looker, but she is reliable. Gains seem to be fairly average but nothing out of this world.
Now i am new to the boost controller arena so really hoping I can tap into people experience here on what is the best option to go for...
Cheers :thumbsup:
(P.S. Checkout me making use of the formatting tools, i am such a geek! :P)

Wodjno
09-08-2010, 10:08 PM
Greddy Profec E-01 /yes

swinks
09-08-2010, 10:09 PM
Neither...
I'm very happy with HKS EVC4, but EVC5 is even better. Very simple set up and reliable. :upsidedow

Maxus
09-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Doh, guess i should of added the "Other" option to that poll, eh?

thanks for the input guys, keep the comments rolling though! :D

Nutter_John
09-08-2010, 10:12 PM
god I'm good

AVCR all the way for me

Maxus
09-08-2010, 10:13 PM
god I'm good

AVCR all the way for me

haha! cheers John! I owe you a beer when i finally get along to a meet ;D

psbarham
09-08-2010, 10:23 PM
AVCR here, I have fitted them to 2 different cars and they just work really really well, and they have some cool features, like the option of the scramble boost, just think of gone in 60 seconds go baby go button /bananaroc /bananaroc

Wodjno
09-08-2010, 10:38 PM
scramble boost, just think of gone in 60 seconds go baby go button /bananaroc /bananaroc

I got 1 of them /yes

But i ain't got an AVC-R /rally

Humpty's Revenge
09-08-2010, 10:50 PM
I use a Apexi AVCR, looks nice in me dash.

Ben at :eurospec: pushes the buttons, sets it up and I leave alone, SIMPLES!:lipsrseal

djb160
09-08-2010, 11:27 PM
base it off the cost as well. Aim for middle of the range IMO. Too cheap and you may as well just go with an expensive manual boost controller. Too expensive and you may as well step up to a piggyback. I think more expensive the GreddyEBC is in this territory.

Just my thoughts from back when I bought one a few years back. Not sure if things have changed since though.

aboo
09-08-2010, 11:47 PM
Cheap MBC & boost gauge does the trick. Been proven on the 1/4 mile against VR4's with EBC's./STP

mattnz
10-08-2010, 12:25 AM
I've got the Blitz and it's pretty good. Got enough settings and logging stuff to keep me busy anyway.

I think you've also got the option of hooking it up to another little Blitz thingy that reads from the ECU, so you can set boost dependent on gear and speed. I've got one, but it's for a Nissan :/

Haven't used the Apexi, so couldn't comment on which is better.

Maxus
10-08-2010, 11:05 AM
Well Apexi seem to be the defined choice for VR4 owners.

I saw one up in the "For Sale" section and looking to hopefully obtain me one for fitting :D

Wodjno
10-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Cheap MBC & boost gauge does the trick. Been proven on the 1/4 mile against VR4's with EBC's./STP

Been there and done that /yes But an EBC is still better /yes

Confused
10-08-2010, 11:34 AM
I've got the Blitz in mine.

Still yet to get my head around setting it up properly!

swinks
10-08-2010, 11:36 AM
HKS boost selenoid is much simpler to fit, and ebc has same features of Apexi...:whistle:

mike74
10-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Blitz does everything for fast road use pretty well & is easy enough to set up too. I always found that you pay for the name with HKS stuff & its maybe not much better than others. I've no experience with the Apexi ones though...

Nick Mann
10-08-2010, 12:51 PM
I was once told by a tuner that my HKS EVC IV was the best boost controller ever made. Simple to use and does it's job well.

I haven't really got much experience of boost controllers though, so it's difficult to say!

Wodjno
10-08-2010, 01:25 PM
I was once told by a tuner that my HKS EVC IV was the best boost controller ever made. Simple to use and does it's job well.

I haven't really got much experience of boost controllers though, so it's difficult to say!

I was once told by a person who knocked on my door! That "Jehovah is the Proper Name for God" /woot

John TheAntique
10-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I love my Blitz. Especialy in winter when temperatures are highly variable.