PDA

View Full Version : leaking auto

Brad_Colbert
10-08-2010, 03:08 AM
I'm a newbie so bear with me. My auto legnum has just developed a oil leak out of the gearbox somewhere. It is a fair quantity as I see oil running down the chassis rail when I jacked it up to look. I can't actually see where it is coming from unless I put it on a hoist. I can't imagine this to be a normal occurence but are there any common faults that occur with these models?

Ryan
10-08-2010, 03:21 AM
Could be a failed torque converter seal. If the fluid is reddish in colour then it would almost certainly be the culprit. Have a search (top right of the forum page) for "torque converter seal" or combinations of those words with leak and failure.

It is a labour intensive job to replace as the AT needs to be removed in order to change the seal.

Brad_Colbert
10-08-2010, 03:29 AM
Yes it is a reddish oil. thanks

bradc
10-08-2010, 05:13 AM
Hi Brad :)

as Ryan said it is almost certainly a leaking torque converter. The leak will be coming from the gearbox close to the engine.

Make sure you keep it topped up if you are still driving it. The boxes are very sensitive about having the right amount of oil in them and running it low will cause instant death

Brad_Colbert
10-08-2010, 05:36 AM
thanks bradc. The car's not going anywhere till I sort things out with the people who sold it to me.

bradc
10-08-2010, 05:45 AM
It is fairly common for them to start leaking after being idle for some time, like sitting on a boat and then sitting in a car yard

Brad_Colbert
10-08-2010, 06:11 AM
Thats just the history with this vehicle.

Ryan
10-08-2010, 07:00 AM
Hope you manage to get it sorted Brad_C2 :)

Brad_Colbert
10-08-2010, 07:10 AM
Not yet:sad3: I think it will take a few days for this to be worked out with them. In the mean time it will sit in the garage as I'm not really wanting to drive it incase I do any damage. I'll let you know how I get on but I really don't want to be out of pocket on this. I'm pretty hopeful that they will cooperate.

Ok I got a bit more to add to this tale. I checked the ATF dipstick for fluid levels when the engine wasn't running with a cold the engine. The level on the dipstick was right up to the top of the hot mark. Is this overfilled? could this be the cause for the leak? does the engine need to be running to check thie levels on this dipstick?

Brad_Colbert
12-08-2010, 12:22 PM
The leak is going to be fixed by the dealer. What fantastic backup-and its just the fault as you described. Thank you for your advice.

Nick Mann
12-08-2010, 12:29 PM
Glad it's being sorted! :D

Ryan
12-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Don't forget to post pictures of your new car once you get it back :)

Brad_Colbert
23-09-2010, 11:00 AM
Well Thanks to a wonderful dealer my oil leak is fixed.