PDA

View Full Version : Help in the Aberdeen area!

Erskine_atom
10-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Got a pfl vr4 needing a suspected t/c seal replacing and timing belt. Don't think I can get the work done myself without serious hassle sorting out more experienced help and somewhere to do it! Any recommendations for a garage, is the main mitsi dealer a reasonable shout?

Cheers

Nick Mann Services
10-08-2010, 11:07 PM
I'm afraid I don't know mch about people that far North to recommend. Around here, expect to pay £350 for the TC seal replacement (including the new seal and fresh Amsoil where required) and about £480 for the timing belt, including everything associated with it.

With the timing belt, ask what is being replaced to compare like for like - my quote there is based on:
Timing belt
Accessory belts
Idler pulley
Tensioner pulley
Hydraulic tensioner
Water pump.

Hope that helps.

mike74
11-08-2010, 08:48 AM
I normally use either 'west high street garage' in Inverurie or 'Kintore service station' in Kintore, funnily enough :p
They're both owned by the same guy & I normally get all my major work done by them. They're not the cheapest (about £35 an hour) but waaaay better than the clowns at the stealership! The quality of work is excellent & they don't ever bodge things like some places tend to do. If they see something not quite right, they'll sort it for you. It would possibly be better if you could get the bits for it yourself, just to simplify things a bit & make sure that Dingbro don't screw up! :)

Erskine_atom
11-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Hmmm so the best part of a grand (I don't quite have) to get the work done then... Looks like it might be off the road for a little while then... Sob

mike74
11-08-2010, 04:04 PM
What garage quoted you? I know a couple of the guys that work at the Kintore garage & they might do it as a homer. I'd have to ask first though obviously...

Erskine_atom
11-08-2010, 05:22 PM
Haven't had any quotes for the t/c yet as the problem just occurred but Station Garage reckon the timing belt, including the tensioners and stuff should be possible for less than £400. I'd be up for giving the timing belt a go with a couple of mates and a bit of effort but the t/c sounds like a total nightmare without a serious garage setup. Having said that I love the sound of homer jobs as long as you honestly reckon they would be up for it/capable. If you can give the boys a shout I would be keen to find out what they reckon!

Cheers

andydckent
11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
Speak to Peter Thomson, he may be able to help you!

mike74
11-08-2010, 06:00 PM
They'd actually do it AT the garage, more than likely! (after hours of course) :p
I'll see if I can get in touch with them...leave it with me :)

Erskine_atom
11-08-2010, 06:14 PM
Cheers mate, that sounds great. Let me know what they say asap, kinda determined not to let the car sit too long as I know how quickly things can deteriorate, especially with our weather up here! Also I'll need to know if they want me to get the parts/fluids or if they can source it themselves. Of course that will be dependant on if they want the job or not!

mike74
12-08-2010, 09:57 AM
you have pm :)

Erskine_atom
12-08-2010, 04:07 PM
you have pm :)

Ditto /lol

Erskine_atom
12-08-2010, 04:42 PM
I'm afraid I don't know mch about people that far North to recommend. Around here, expect to pay £350 for the TC seal replacement (including the new seal and fresh Amsoil where required) and about £480 for the timing belt, including everything associated with it.

With the timing belt, ask what is being replaced to compare like for like - my quote there is based on:
Timing belt
Accessory belts
Idler pulley
Tensioner pulley
Hydraulic tensioner
Water pump.

Hope that helps.

By the way Nick thanks very much for your post. It if nothing else gives me a great shopping list to work on!

Cheers :thumbsup:

peter thomson
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
I didn't think that all the gearbox and TC changes we did over the last couple of years had so easily been forgotten but it's not a problem . I know I upset a few comm memebers lately lol.

I'm afraid I don't know mch about people that far North to recommend..

keithatport
12-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Lol.

keithatport
12-08-2010, 05:26 PM
Probably thought we would have made it spongy and dive a lot under braking.

Wodjno
12-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I didn't think that all the gearbox and TC changes we did over the last couple of years had so easily been forgotten but it's not a problem . I know I upset a few comm memebers lately lol.

I think that Nick is referring to Garages as the original poster asked for recomendations for 1 :iagree:

He mentioned nothing about members inability to perform such a job /haz

Erskine_atom
12-08-2010, 09:46 PM

You have PM

Nick Mann
12-08-2010, 09:57 PM

Peter - I was not forgetting anyone. As Wodj mentioned, the opening post asked for a garage recommendation. If the original question had been asking for members who may be able to help then you would have been top of my list of people in Scotland who have good knowledge on these cars.

peter thomson
13-08-2010, 07:04 AM
Peter - I was not forgetting anyone. As Wodj mentioned, the opening post asked for a garage recommendation. If the original question had been asking for members who may be able to help then you would have been top of my list of people in Scotland who have good knowledge on these cars.

Thanks Nick and sorry

amsoil
15-08-2010, 07:34 PM
I have never gotten over how helpful and polite this forum is;
Full marks to all.

aboo
15-08-2010, 07:44 PM
If PT offers you help up our way bite his hand off. He's helped me out no end. Top bloke & no end of knowledge.

Erskine_atom
16-08-2010, 08:09 AM
If PT offers you help up our way bite his hand off. He's helped me out no end. Top bloke & no end of knowledge.

All hands are being bitten off with regards to help right now! Every time I leave the house I see the car and cry a little as I can't drive it!

Erskine_atom
31-08-2010, 08:32 PM
Still looking for capable spanner heads who fancy some cash for a timing belt and t/c seal change. Any advice/recommendations well recieved.

Cheers

Erskine_atom
01-09-2010, 07:22 PM
Bump!

Erskine_atom
03-09-2010, 06:35 AM
Bump 2!

Erskine_atom
05-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Bump 3