PDA

View Full Version : Electricity Monitors

Spirit
11-08-2010, 11:49 PM
Being an EON customer, I registered several weeks ago to receive one of their free electricty usage monitors (Eon Energy Fit). Forgot all about it until it arrived today.

Setup was easy, and it shows:

•the amount of energy you are using right now in kWh
•the cost to you per day or per month in £
•an “up” or “down” amount shows you how much energy you use by switching on a new appliance – you can test this out yourself just by switching on a light or electric kettle for example
•a graph showing how much energy you have used from 7am yesterday to 7am today in 3 blocks – night, day and evening
•the amount of energy you have used in the last 7 days and the last 30 days in kWh
•the time and temperature

More info here: http://www.electricityprices.org.uk/eon-energy-fit-monitor/

Must say it's been quite enlightening already how easy it is to make some savings.

Anyhow, whilst you may not be an EON customer (so can't get this free) the kit is actually the same as this one: http://www.currentcost.com/product-cc128.html

Looks like they sell for about £40, and no doubt there are others out there.

They reckon people who have these monitors save an average of 12% on their electricity bills.....simply by changing their habits. I currently spend about £65 a month on electricity, so I should save about £95 p/a on this theory.......so may be of interest to some people ?

SGHOM
11-08-2010, 11:55 PM
The 'owl' as it's normally called, is free from your local library

Spirit
12-08-2010, 12:01 AM
The 'owl' as it's normally called, is free from your local library

Looks like they retail for about £30 Derek: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Owl-Cm119-Wireless-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B001JJCLS0

Can anyone get one free from their library then ?

SGHOM
12-08-2010, 12:04 AM
Yep ...... Totally free :d

Spirit
12-08-2010, 12:07 AM
Yep ...... Totally free :d

Just Googled it and says here it's just a one week loan of one: http://www.inspired-living.co.uk/127/free-energy-meters/

Edit: 4 week loan from Newcastle council: http://www.newcastle.gov.uk/core.nsf/a/energyowlmonitors

Is this still the case or do you get to keep it now ?

SGHOM
12-08-2010, 12:16 AM
The owl is not so much a monitor, it's more of a wake up call !!

It won't save you money unless you react to the readings !!

Spirit
12-08-2010, 12:29 AM
The owl is not so much a monitor, it's more of a wake up call !!

It won't save you money unless you react to the readings !!

Same as the EON one mate......you have to change your habits to save money. Seeing the figures in front of you certainly helps as the "kick up the ass"

miller
12-08-2010, 08:54 AM
we have had one for a while now, its interesting which appliances use power especially on standby. We have ours positioned near key holder so when locking up at night its easy to see if anything is left on. Its good practice to go to bed with it running at 0.

Seeing it rocket when you flick the kettle is scary!

richy rich
12-08-2010, 09:05 AM
Its hard enough to get the rest of the family to turn the kin lights of after them so ive got bob hope chance of them turning anything else off!!!! If I had 1 of these id be walking around like a grumpy old man (well worse than normal).

Wodjno
12-08-2010, 09:54 AM
I got 1 through NPower about 4 months ago /yes

It does make a big difference /yes The main 1 was the crap thats left on Stand By /help
My house was using 8p ph (£1.92pd, £13.44pw, £53.76pm, £645.12pyear) with only the fridges/freezers on constant /help
Reason being was the amount of electricity that was being used by all the things on Stadby Mode.

4 x TV's
2 x Xbox 360'2
1 x PS3
1 x Xbox
1 x PS2
4 x Stereos
Sky, DVD, Surround Sound
Tumble Dryer, Washing Machine, Microwave.

Now all those are switched off at the wall when not in use /yes

The result is the Per hourly usage has dropped to approx 2p per hour.

The households average daily Total usage over the last 4 months is around £1.60/£1.70 per day. Thats 32p per day less than if we were using nothing, except what was on standby and the fridge/freezers before we got the monitor !

So i would say that we are saving approx £1 per day, £30 per month, £365 per year :D

Cheers

Wodj

Confused
12-08-2010, 10:41 AM
We've had one hooked up for a month or so - will now be interesting to look at the estimated costs, given that we have running:

Fridge/freezer
Fridge
Freezer
Fish tank (light 10h per day, pump/heater 24/7)
2x reptiles - 2 heatmats (albeit on a thermostat, and in the conservatory)
1x PC (home server)
Clock radios (x3)
Boiler
Electricity monitor

And things that are on quite a lot:

TV (x2 - 1x 42" LCD, 1x 28" CRT)
Amp
PC (for TV/media duties in our living room)
Freeview box
Laptop
Dishwasher
Washing machine
Tumble dryer

Nothing is ever switched off at the wall...

Wodjno
12-08-2010, 10:43 AM
We've had one hooked up for a month or so - will now be interesting to look at the estimated costs, given that we have running:

Fridge/freezer
Fridge
Freezer
Fish tank (light 10h per day, pump/heater 24/7)
2x reptiles - 2 heatmats (albeit on a thermostat, and in the conservatory)
1x PC (home server)
Clock radios (x3)
Boiler
Electricity monitor

And things that are on quite a lot:

TV (x2 - 1x 42" LCD, 1x 28" CRT)
Amp
PC (for TV/media duties in our living room)
Freeview box
Laptop
Dishwasher
Washing machine
Tumble dryer

Nothing is ever switched off at the wall...

Switch them off at the wall Dude. leaving them on at the wall is definitely what bumps the usage up :furious4:

Wodjno
12-08-2010, 11:01 AM
So i would say that we are saving approx £1 per day, £30 per month, £365 per year :D

Cheers

Wodj

Actually /Hmmm
Just looking at those figures again /yes As we are using other stuff during the day more efficiently and leass lights on also.
I would say i am using approx £2 per day less than i was :unbeleeva

So thats a yearly saving of over £700 /megawoot

Thats 10 tankfulls of Super :D

Cheers

Wodj

Turbo_Steve
12-08-2010, 05:32 PM
Ours has made a stupendous difference to our electricity usage.

You can buy a cable for the cc128 for around £10, which allows you to connect it to your PC, and pull logs of the data off it: more detailed views in Excel.

More interestingly, you can get a little project kit that connects to it and acts as a webserver, allowing you to monitor your electricity usage, and it's history from a webpage anywhere.

And yes, I believe there is an "App for that" for those of you with Fruity Phones :) That's if you're not too busy getting laid.

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Can you get one for the legnum? :smart:

enigma
12-08-2010, 07:45 PM
I got 1 through NPower about 4 months ago /yes

It does make a big difference /yes The main 1 was the crap thats left on Stand By /help
My house was using 8p ph (£1.92pd, £13.44pw, £53.76pm, £645.12pyear) with only the fridges/freezers on constant /help
Reason being was the amount of electricity that was being used by all the things on Stadby Mode.

4 x TV's
2 x Xbox 360'2
1 x PS3
1 x Xbox
1 x PS2
4 x Stereos
Sky, DVD, Surround Sound
Tumble Dryer, Washing Machine, Microwave.

Now all those are switched off at the wall when not in use /yes

The result is the Per hourly usage has dropped to approx 2p per hour.

The households average daily Total usage over the last 4 months is around £1.60/£1.70 per day. Thats 32p per day less than if we were using nothing, except what was on standby and the fridge/freezers before we got the monitor !

Cheers

Wodj

Where do you live, and when are you on holiday???

Wodjno
12-08-2010, 08:19 PM
Where do you live, and when are you on holiday???

Lol.. I thought that as i typed /yes But pick any house and your sure to find more /yes
Anyway:

1x PS3 Sold
1x Xbox 360 Sold
1 x Washing Macine Broke.

:D

enigma
12-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Lol.. I thought that as i typed /yes But pick any house and your sure to find more /yes
Anyway:

1x PS3 Sold
1x Xbox 360 Sold
1 x Washing Macine Broke.

:D

It's OK, I know where you live :p

Wodjno
12-08-2010, 08:48 PM
It's OK, I know where you live :p

Your Welcome anytime Dave /yes

But beware of being attacked by a rampant Pussy :laugh: