PDA

View Full Version : school boy error

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 04:23 PM
hi guys, just thought id tell you about my f**k up last week.
i was booked in to take my practical test last tuesday, i have been dying to get in my legnum and drive now for the past months, so you could imagine the nervers.
anyway my driving instructor comes to collect me from my house and says ' have you got everything you need' rushing old me says 'yes yes yes'.
we went and had an hours practice and did a mini test, everthing goes well.
next we turn up at the test centre and he ask's to see my paper work !!!!
oooohhhh oooohhhh, NO PAPER WORK /duh
we ran into the test centre with around 4 mins to spare and asked if we could nip to get the documents 'as i live under a mile away from test centre' and unfortunatly it was a no go :sick:
now i have had to pay another 62 pounds for another test and am having to wait untill the 21st of september.
its really killing me walking past my beautiful babe ( 1997 type-s ) and not be able to drive her

hope you liked my little story ( im sure some of you will be amused )
hope to join you all on a meet soon 'ish'
cheers
phil

:thumbsup:

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 04:25 PM
/ttiwwop

gareth001
12-08-2010, 04:34 PM
that's rotten luck, does that count as a first time fail then? only joking...

Have you got an insurance quote yet then? Bet that's a bit shocking being a first car?

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 04:43 PM
yeah got my quote. 1367.48
its going to be my nans car and im only going to drive it as a named driver from time to time :whistle:
im so gutted i made such a stupid mistake that has proved to be so costly.
ahhh welll the roads will be that little bit safer for a while.
'my nans a nutter' honest ;)

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 04:45 PM
that's rotten luck, does that count as a first time fail then? only joking...

Have you got an insurance quote yet then? Bet that's a bit shocking being a first car?

Exactly what I was thinking...New drivers pay £2-3000 for a 1L sometimes, I can't see this coming in for much less than £6K/year

gareth001
12-08-2010, 04:46 PM

That's not as bad as I thought - I had an MR2 Turbo when I was 20 with 3 years NCB and that was around the same fully comp.

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 04:48 PM
its going to be my nans car and im only going to drive it as a named driver from time to time :whistle:
im so gutted i made such a stupid mistake that has proved to be so costly.
ahhh welll the roads will be that little bit safer for a while.
'my nans a nutter' honest ;)

Dammn my timing,

Your second error..... you will get caught doing this and you will have no insurance cover. At best you'll have the car confiscated and scrapped at worst you'll kill someone and their family will suffer for your selfishness.

The more I frequent this forum the more I am starting to find I don't like the company I'm keeping.....

giblet
12-08-2010, 04:51 PM
Dammn my timing,

Your second error..... you will get caught doing this and you will have no insurance cover. At best you'll have the car confiscated and scrapped at worst you'll kill someone and their family will suffer for your selfishness.

The more I frequent this forum the more I am starting to find I don't like the company I'm keeping.....

I'll second this. Granted, I don't know the OP from Adam, but passing your test and jumping into something as quick as a legnum isn't the smartest things to do. Secondly fronting is just daft, if you get caught you are screwed

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 04:53 PM
there is nothing illegal in this at all. i have double checked all t's and c's it is her car on the log book etc and her insurance and i will be driving it when it is rainy and can not use my push bike to get to work. its only the same as any other 1st time driver being a named driver on there parents car.

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 04:55 PM
i understand the power of this vehical and am not going to act like a t**t as i have my fiance and her children to think about.

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 04:58 PM
And when will she be driving it? How about you make the above statement to your inusrers and see if they're still interested.
Given the quote price and the fact you'll have no experience I can't imagine the right model has been insured, even with you as a named driver.
It's not the same as a 1st time driver being on the parents insurance unless your nan will be driving it considerably more than you.

gareth001
12-08-2010, 04:59 PM
I'll second this. Granted, I don't know the OP from Adam, but passing your test and jumping into something as quick as a legnum isn't the smartest things to do. Secondly fronting is just daft, if you get caught you are screwed

Totally agree, I would never "jump" into a performance car as a new driver. Why do you think you hear about all these footballers crashing their super cars? It's because they are young, no experiance driving but can afford to buy a 500+bhp car which they think they can drive like the fiesta they passed their test in....

Atik
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
Its simply regarded as insurance fraud, and is therefore illegal. I'd be keen to see what Sky and/or Adrin Flux thought of this.

Yes, it takes place everywhere, but that doesnt make it right or legal.

andydckent
12-08-2010, 05:02 PM
I am going to join in since everyones ganging up this time. As I have said before it is not legal if you are the main driver. I realise a lot of young people probably do this as insurance is extortionate but I do not condone it myself.

Atik
12-08-2010, 05:07 PM
Yep, as Andy has pointed, if you are listed as the main driver and your nan as the 2nd driver, then thats all above board. But listing yourself as 2nd driver when you clearly are not is fraud.

giblet
12-08-2010, 05:09 PM
And before you start getting annoyed at everyone "ganging up" on you, most people are giving you advice for your own benefit. We have all been there where once you pass you want the quicket car you can find. Thats not always the best way to do it!

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
/popcorn

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM
my nan will still use her car, as she is still able bodied and goes on holiday alot which is part of the agrement of her insuring it. if you guys really think it is that bad of an idea, it may well be up for sale soon.
really gutted if i dont get to see my legnum on the road
but understand your concern on the power and first time driver front
cheers
phil

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 05:13 PM
by goes on holiday i mean drives to destinations in britain

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 05:16 PM
my nan will still use her car, as she is still able bodied and goes on holiday alot which is part of the agrement of her insuring it. if you guys really think it is that bad of an idea, it may well be up for sale soon.
cheers
phil

It's not just the power and first time driver thing, although this is extremely important, but the fact you will not be insured when you do have an accident. It could mean anything from you losing the value of the car if it's written off to prison time if you injure or kill someone.
We're not wanting to stop you having fun but offering some sound advice. You're not the first person to do this on here recently and I just hope it's not becoming a trend.

Atik
12-08-2010, 05:17 PM
Dont take any of this personally as its just people trying to advise you on your actions. Honestly, if your nan is genuinely going to use the car as main driver, then thats fine. As a second driver, you are legitimately using the car.

Not every 'new driver' is a hazard on the road, so being behind the wheel of a powerful car doesnt mean that you will instantly become a danger to other road users.

andydckent
12-08-2010, 05:21 PM
cheers
phil

You said in the last thread that your nan doesn't drive...

I guess she must have taken it up again since then./grouphug

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 05:24 PM
i really do appriciate you advice guys and can honestly say my nan will be using the car just as much as me ( i work nights so sleep all day when she will be using it ) when i do go out and about in it i will have my fiance and her 2 children josh aged 7 and gracie mai aged 3, so have no intention of being a cock in it or racing, i saw the opertunity to buy a legnum due to me needing space for camping holidays with the kids but also having the power should i ever want to go to a track. once again i havnt taken this personaly and appriciate all of your concerns.
many thanks to all of you
phil

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 05:28 PM
her own vehical, meaning that if i were to have an accident her no claims wouldnt matter all that much,she is a named driver on my grandads car and wants her own freedom in the day.

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 05:35 PM
her own vehical, meaning that if i were to have an accident her no claims wouldnt matter all that much,she is a named driver on my grandads car and wants her own freedom in the day.

Not being nosey but how old is your nan?

Reason why I ask is I would be more worried about her driving a legnum/Steeringw :whistle:

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 05:39 PM
she is 59 and is very able bodied, and not to bad of a driver, she has had estates and powerful cars in the past so no real concern tbh

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 05:41 PM
59 i think :-/

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 05:45 PM
she is 59 and is very able bodied, and not to bad of a driver, she has had estates and powerful cars in the past so no real concern tbh

That`s not a nan, that`s an older auntie!!

When poeples say nan you expect 70+

Where I live we could do with nans that age driving Legnums as the bloody blue rinse bridgade over here are sssssssssssssssssssssssssooooooooooooooooooooooo sssssssssssssslllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooowwww wwwwwwwwwwwww

It took me the other day going down a 1 way street 40 minutes to do 500 yards, then I realised I was going the wrong way /duh

Wodjno
12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
It took me the other day going down a 1 way street 40 minutes to do 500 yards, then I realised I was going the wrong way /duh

But you was only going 1 way wasn't you /Devil5

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
But you was only going 1 way wasn't you /Devil5

Damn your right :operator:

Kryton
12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
I think it is unfair to assume that its not the best car to have after just passing your driving test. When I was 17, I had a Galant V6 that was only 2 years old. I never drove it like a tool as it was my pride & joy & treated it like I would a child. It got a little bit sad at times, where if I parked in a narrow space I would take pictures of cars each side in case they damaged it. It got fully valeted 3 times a week & I never crashed it.

When I turned 18, I bought a 4 litre Lexus & a Gp N Evo 2. Again excellent performance & most would say, too powerful for someone aged 18. I used to track day the Evo on a regular basis & went on lots of driver training days (skid pad, even off road days (in Shoguns) so I now, aged 25, I feel that I could jump into almost anything without feeling nervous or crashing it.

As long as he doesn't try to race everyone that pulls up next to him or try to max the car out going down the M1, I fail to see the problem.

The insurance however, I do! If you do crash & the insurance company looks into how many times your nan has driven the car (which they will, as they will do almost anything to get out of paying), & they can prove that she is not the main driver, it will make your insurance null & void.

It looks like you are already aware of this though from past comments in this thread & another so be it on your head. If you do decide to insure it under your own name, try insureyourmotor.com as they have quoted me on pretty much everything & cheaper than everyone else (for new drivers) by far, but I still had to pay £2700 for the Evo. The cost of being legal I suppose /Hmmm

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 05:50 PM
My first car was a Gordon Keeble :beerbang:

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 05:52 PM
thanks kryton, on hearing the importance of my nan driving more than me i will ensure she uses it ALOT, as i dont want to be left out of pocket or in jail.

Humpty's Revenge
12-08-2010, 05:57 PM
Picture the scene at the lights..........

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 06:02 PM
i like..... i like it alot :-)

Kryton
12-08-2010, 06:07 PM
"on hearing the importance of my nan driving more than me i will ensure she uses it ALOT"

Good choice & by far the cheapest, legal way round it. Make sure every time she uses it, the fuel light is on & you may even profit from the experience. /haz

Excellent pic. How gutted would you be though in a chavved up corsa burning off from the lights & then realising the gran in the estate next to you is already half way down the road

sonicsoundzdj
12-08-2010, 06:46 PM
iv got to give mrlewty some support. what he is doing is legal if his nan is genuinely the main driver and he will only be using it ocationally as a 2nd driver. but yes 260bhp is alot for a first car so just be carefull!

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 06:50 PM
I have to call BS on your comments in this thread, if you're going to tell lies at least keep your story straight. I knew I'd seen this kind of thing mentioned recently and I kept my mouth shut. You've clearly stated your nan doesn't drive and she's 68 here :

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showpost.php?p=567894&postcount=19

as for 'changing your ways' clearly it's not necessarily for the better.

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 07:19 PM
how dare you acuse me of telling lies!! i tell you wot ill do. ill see if my nan wants to join up to the club. then she can put the record straight her self. i know she is 60 ish or around that. do you all ways put a negative on things eg the gt40 thread. or is that just how you are ?????

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 08:12 PM
OK, so you are saying that you didn't write what was in the post I linked to? You can't say your Nan doesn't drive any more and then start telling us how you'll get her driving more than you once we highlight the fact you would be committing fraud on your insurance. In your post in this thread you have highlighted you know you're doing something wrong with the whistle smiley.
The rest of us have spent our time building up NCB and following the rules, paying the price if we really wanted to do it. You're going to jump into driving a powerful car, regardless of you 'intention' to drive it hard or not, and are not properly insuring it. Who is going to pay the price of your actions? Us, the people who follow the rules. The reason we have to pay too much is because of all those inexperienced drivers who lose control.

I regard driving as a privelige and try to do my best to drive safely as much as possible, as can be seen with my 17 years NCB wihtout using a NCB protector either. As a couple of other members will know I am particularly fussy when it comes to people using mobile phones for any purpose whilst driving. Having had two friends killed, in separate incidents, by drivers using their phones please forgive me if I was a little upset when I percieved the situation as someone doing just that in the outside lane of a dual carriageway. Just think how it would effect you if one of your kids or your fiance were to be hurt or killed in the same way, it only takes a second. My later comment about obstructing the windscreen was tongue-in-cheek as I'm sure Glenn (WODJNO) took it so.

Perhaps I have been a little ovezealous in my comments, if you, or any other members, have an issue with any of them please use the "Comittee Feedback" tool on the post. I'm just fed up of coming on here to find someone else who's joined up and thinks that it's OK to flaut their blatant disregard for the road laws. Otherwise I'm normally pretty relaxed and helpful whenever I can be, I'm sure you'll find that after a while.

bradc
12-08-2010, 08:21 PM
It is common in NZ for a first driver to drive their parent's ~4 litre or ~5.7 litre v8 rear wheel drive family car. There aren't that many cars here that have less than 2 litres capacity and less than 100kw.

I was driving my dads Holden V8 when I was 16 which had about 290hp, rwd and a stupid 4 speed auto that would kick down at random, and I bought my purple VR-4 when I was 20.

Over here a VR-4, especially a stock auto as a first car would not really be considered that unusual.

I don't see why everyone is being so difficult about this. If mrlewty is going to be driving the car 80% of the time then it is his own responsibility to declare that to the insurance company, not anyone elses problem.

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 08:27 PM
Brad, it is our problem when he crashes into us or hurts someone and the insurance refuses to pay up. It's also illegal to 'Front' in the UK due to the fact it negates your insurance.
i can't comment on the driving in NZ but in the UK the driving test is useless and doesn't prepare a driver for the real world ie. no motorway or skid pan training. Most instructors can only run small cars, if a learner even bothers getting proper tuition, and the new drivers simply aren't prepared for more powerful cars.

bradc
12-08-2010, 08:35 PM
Our test here is probably worse than yours. We have a simple multiple choice questionaire to get a learners, then about a 10 minute on the road test for the first level of license where you can drive by yourself, then finally a 20-30 minute test to get a full.

mrlewty
12-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Sorry to here about your friends dude, and appologies to you for being snappy. I don't like getting off on the wrong foot with people. I totally see how building your no claims the "right" way is important to you, but I'm 20 years of age and don't want to have to start driving in a fiesta etc. I thought getting on my nans insurance was a good idea enabling us to have a nice car and her to have some freedom for when my grandad goes traveling with his metal detector. I may end up useing the car more than my nan. And Maybe I am mistaken that this is the right thing to do, but will be gutted to have to let the legnum go.
Hope you understand

Phil

Beastlee
12-08-2010, 08:46 PM
Likewise, please don't get the wrong idea about me. I do understand where you're coming from and I hope you get to enjoy the car without issues.

Brad, I'm reconsidering my potenital emmigration now :/

Ryan
12-08-2010, 08:47 PM
The NZ restricted licence test is a joke.

andydckent
12-08-2010, 08:50 PM
We all had to start in a Ford Fiesta man! We'll apart from the Kiwis and Aussie who all drive v8's

First car I bought though was a Colt, defo a step about the usual crap but no more powerful, and it certainly provided me with attention as no one knew what it was. Still cost me £1400 for the first year to insure, no mods, doing it the hard way.

lancerevo3
12-08-2010, 11:11 PM
had a corsa for my first 3500 irish pounds at the time for insurance.
just be straight up in future man as everything you type is on record somewhere on the site,and be careful with that car PLEASE.

JTG
12-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Couldn't agree more. It really doesn't take a massive amount of talent to drive a VR4.

The only point I would bring up, is where is the car being kept? At your residence, or your Nan's? If at yours, but yet your nan is the main driver, then that's going to completely screw you over.

It is common in NZ for a first driver to drive their parent's ~4 litre or ~5.7 litre v8 rear wheel drive family car. There aren't that many cars here that have less than 2 litres capacity and less than 100kw.

I was driving my dads Holden V8 when I was 16 which had about 290hp, rwd and a stupid 4 speed auto that would kick down at random, and I bought my purple VR-4 when I was 20.

Over here a VR-4, especially a stock auto as a first car would not really be considered that unusual.

I don't see why everyone is being so difficult about this. If mrlewty is going to be driving the car 80% of the time then it is his own responsibility to declare that to the insurance company, not anyone elses problem.