PDA

View Full Version : Galant VR4 2001 gearbox AYC fault

H24k
12-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Hi guys, ive just bought a Galant VR4 in pearl white, its a 2001 model in nice condition, ive owned a 3000GT Twin Turbo very late 98 model for the past 6 years and wanted something a little bit more practical for every day use, i was after something rapaid but wanted an auto or tiptronic box so the VR4 Galant was perfect, i noticed a few things with my car, first the car drove superb, gearbox was changing up and down very smoothly in auto mode, however i parked the car up after buying it and driving it back about 120 miles, and about 2 hours later i got back in it to drive somewhere and when i started it, it was running very lumpy and cut out, i started it again and gave it some revs and it was still running a bit lumpy but then as i drove off it seemed to smooth out however i then noticed that even though the auto gear was selected it showed neutral on the dash and would only stay in 2nd gear and move upto 3rd only, i tried tiptronic when this happened and it still would only stay in 2nd and i can move upto 3rd only and back down to second??? Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this, if i leave the car for a bit and start it up it goes back to normal drive mode in auto but then this happens now and again while im driving? Just wondered if this means my gearbox is on its way out? Also the red AYC is allways on, on the dash, the 3 green lights light up on ignition and then go off but the red one stays on all the time, is this anything to do with the gearbox? I know its the Active Yaw but im not technical at all!! Thanks

MPBVr4
13-08-2010, 09:04 AM
First of all welcome to the best car forum on the net.

Regarding the gearbox issues somebody with greater knowledge than me will be along shortly to sort that one for you. My first thought was change the ATF.

The AYC is not connected to the gearbox issues. That is located under the boot floor. It is a common problem and is indicative of either oil change needed or AYC pump not producing enough pressure. Firstly get the oil changed and see if theres an improvement. Otherwise you can change the pressure switch which will get rid of the red light.

Where are you based there are several weekend mechanics on here that should be able to help.

Have you sold the 3000GT ?? We have had one for the last 7 years. Nice car.

Roberto
13-08-2010, 09:06 AM
Firstly Welcome to CVR4...

No answer about the gearbox, (only owned a manual) but the AYC is a seperate system.
It's built into the rear diff.
Do you have any idea of when the 3 sets of fluids have been changed, if not, that would be my first point of call.
Then if the pump is getting weak, there is a pressure switch that can be changed, the system will work on a slighty lower pressure than Mitsu specify.
After that it would be the pump itself, not cheap.

H24k
16-08-2010, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, i guess im gonna have all the fluids changed for starters and see if that helps, i did check the fluid for the AYC in the boot and it was well over the full mark and looked very clean, and again the same with the transmision fluid for the gear box, this is well over the full mark but looks clean, i read in the owners manual that having too much fluid in can cause problems?
I can understand if theres too little but if theres too much will this cause problems too?
I still own my 3000GT had it for nearly 7 years now, i cant bring myself to sell and unless im gonna replace it with the New skyline thats out?????? lol then i think i'll be keeping it for a long time, i really cant see anything else comparable, even upto say 15k, and with regards to the VR4 im VERY impressed, i was after a tipronic car with some power and was really after an Audi S8 series 2 which has about 360bhp, really great car but seriously thirsty with the 4.2 lump and to be honest the VR4 is the perfect substitute , its fully loaded, drives sooo smooth and looks the business to, and is faster than the S8 and highly tuneable, so it looks like its mitsubishi all the way for me!! lol

mattnz
16-08-2010, 09:30 PM
Welcome. This car is pretty thirsty itself though :/

Nick Mann
16-08-2010, 10:00 PM
If the fluid level is okay and looks a nice ruby red colour, then I'd say it's unlikely the fluid is the problem. Even if it is overfilled.

The next thing to do potentially is to remove a couple of the intake pipes and make sure the connectors on the box are all seated properly. You'll have two large plugs near the front of the car, just to the side of the battery and down a bit. Then there are two shaft speed sensors on smaller plugs further back.

A dodgy connection on one of those could cause an issue.

Does your N light do anything wierd whilst you are having issues?

AYC is almost certainly a completely seperate issue, so I'd leave that for the time being.

H24k
17-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Thanks for the replies,

i noticed the N light was flashing when the car went into limp or safety mode, i cant recall how many times it was flashing etc but it flashed and the car would only stay in 2nd and third gears,

ive been driving the car everyday since and it hasnt happened again since however i was warned when i bought the car that the owner had been advised by his garage that the car would need a replacement gearbox in approx 6 to 12 months however if this is true and its the garage people that said this then it could be true or just crap to earn more money!!

So i just took a chance with it, i dont do many miles but at the price i got the car even if it is the gearbox its well worth me changing it, however only time will tell, im gonna have all fluids changed and take it from there,

in regards to this being very thirsty, i can believe it, but im used to juicy motors, ive owned maseratis, 3000GTS and also Audi A8s 4.2 etc etc and the car i was after which was the S8 is probably the most uneconomical car there is, check it out if you dont believe me, its due to the gearing and obviously big 4.2 engine, so i think the VR4 is alot better. And mines attracting attention wherever i go, people keep asking about it, which is cool. Seriously rare and cool motor, i love it, and think i'll be keeping it for a long time.

Wodjno
17-08-2010, 05:30 PM
A VR4 will give as little as 4mpg. And as much as 30+ mpg !

H24k
21-08-2010, 03:04 PM
I noticed my ATF is a yellowish colour not ruby red at all!! lol, wondering if the previous owner might have put the wrong type in? What fluid do you guys recommend? Thanks

MPBVr4
21-08-2010, 03:22 PM
I noticed my ATF is a yellowish colour not ruby red at all!! lol, wondering if the previous owner might have put the wrong type in? What fluid do you guys recommend? Thanks

AMSOIL........Get your CVR4 discount but you need to be a paid up member. You'll save your membership fee in no time at all, especially if you need an AYC pressure switch as well.;)