PDA

View Full Version : Need a litle help with painting wheels.

aboo
14-08-2010, 10:41 PM
The Konig wheels I have on my car badly needs new tyres but I cant afford them till after the STS show next week & I want to get them refurbed while there off the car.

My standard wheels have good tyres on them & I'm going to clean them up & paint them gun metal grey for the show cause I'm taking the car on track & I still want the car to look good.

Can anyone give me any tips on which primers & how to get them ready for paint?

Thanks in advance/yes

hardarse
14-08-2010, 11:36 PM
now than mate get some paintsripper wire wool. do not use any abrasive paper on them you will struggle to get the scratch marks out. as soon as you remove the paint they will need cleaning and drying so they are spotless then etch primer is to help the the adhesion of your colour.. all this has to be done as quick as possible after the paint is removed to stop the oxidisation of the wheels. if they are rough after the etch primer you will need a high build primer to give it a bit of a thickness so you can fine sand it to a smooth finish

crazyken76
14-08-2010, 11:41 PM
got some for sale all nice and freshly painted wht :)

I-S
15-08-2010, 04:18 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41045&highlight=diy+wheel+refurb

I now have all 4 of mine on the car and they look pretty good.

aboo
15-08-2010, 11:13 AM
http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41045&highlight=diy+wheel+refurb

I now have all 4 of mine on the car and they look pretty good.
Nice one. I'd forgotten about that thread/GJ

Wodjno
15-08-2010, 11:25 AM
The Konig wheels I have on my car badly needs new tyres but I cant afford them till after the STS show next week & I want to get them refurbed while there off the car.

My standard wheels have good tyres on them & I'm going to clean them up & paint them gun metal grey for the show cause I'm taking the car on track & I still want the car to look good.

Thanks in advance/yes

Andy..

Is it just the polished rims that are in need of the refurb ?

aboo
15-08-2010, 11:32 AM
The polished rims I'm going to tidy up myself with paint & get the Konig's professionally done.

These ones. http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/vbpicgallery.php?do=big&p=2655

Wodjno
15-08-2010, 11:36 AM
The polished rims I'm going to tidy up myself with paint & get the Konig's professionally done.

The Konigs rims if there like i think they are, can be refurbished with an artist brush and paint stripper. The lacquer on the rim is what makes the rims look coroded.
Once stripped back you can re-lacquer them. I haven't found that the spokes on Konigs have any problems..

aboo
15-08-2010, 11:47 AM
It is the rims that are letting them down the spokes are fine & there is a bit of kerbing.

Ralliart1
15-08-2010, 12:23 PM
I had mines kerbed as well Andy,sandpapered dry out the kerbmarks,
uploaded/51457/1281871002.jpg,
after sandpapering wet with 300 grit sandpaper and sprayed with Simoniz grey primer,or you can use some putty spray as well,
uploaded/51457/1281871115.jpg,
will be sandpapered again wet with 1200 grit,after two coats of anthracite paint and two coats of laquer.
Due that all this I have to do myself,can wait to be done:rolleyes4

jahooli
05-12-2010, 01:13 AM

Thanks in advance/yes

did you do this, if so any pics?

aboo
05-12-2010, 01:22 AM
No never got round to it. I just left the standard ones as they were & I'm just going to use them as winter wheels.

The Konigs will be getting refurbed & new boots on them for the spring next year/yes

jahooli
05-12-2010, 01:26 AM
No never got round to it. I just left the standard ones as they were & I'm just going to use them as winter wheels.

The Konigs will be getting refurbed & new boots on them for the spring next year/yes
thanks

jahooli
16-07-2011, 08:19 PM
now than mate get some paintsripper wire wool. do not use any abrasive paper on them you will struggle to get the scratch marks out. as soon as you remove the paint they will need cleaning and drying so they are spotless then etch primer is to help the the adhesion of your colour.. all this has to be done as quick as possible after the paint is removed to stop the oxidisation of the wheels. if they are rough after the etch primer you will need a high build primer to give it a bit of a thickness so you can fine sand it to a smooth finish

what do you do if the wheels are already oxidised?
thanks

hardarse
16-07-2011, 08:55 PM
get some fosforic acid if thats how you spell it. spray it on make sure it doesnt dry and wash off after ten minutes and dry straight away, then rub down to key for etch primer.

Goreden
16-07-2011, 09:37 PM
i had the same problem with my wheels i just took all the crap off with a wire wool attachment for my drill and fully degreased them, i then went straight on with halfrauds black wheel paint in a spray can and once that had dried went on with the lacquer look pretty good for £30 and a days work

Erskine_atom
16-07-2011, 09:39 PM
get some fosforic acid if thats how you spell it. spray it on make sure it doesnt dry and wash off after ten minutes and dry straight away, then rub down to key for etch primer.

Phosphoric acid.