PDA

View Full Version : I have an idea!

Gizmo
16-08-2010, 10:53 PM
So my idea stems from not being able to arm the alarm when leaving the car running on the turbo timer and this is rather annoying when leaving the car in public, as the only security it has is the locked doors. So without actually staying with the car till the timer hits 00:00 and locking it with the fob (which negates the point of having a turbo timer!) the car is only protected by the locked doors and not the actual alarm system.

So in basic terms, i want the alarm to arm itself when the turbo timer kills the engine, but only if the doors are locked.

Simple idea right? Im just not sure how to put that idea into action as i would need feeds from all over the place, ie from the turbo timer, doors and alarm system.

We have a Blitz DC2 turbo timer and the factory fit Cobra alarm system.

If any of you electronic experts know if this would be possible and how to go about it, your help would be much appreciated!

Thanks guys!

Giz

andyleaves
16-08-2010, 10:58 PM
From what I have heard, remove the timer...
you dont need it as (I take it you have a VR4) we have water cooled tubs...

Thus remove timer, wait for about 6 secs get out lock car...
Sorted :D

Wodjno
16-08-2010, 11:00 PM
I would just take the Turbo timer out /yes

Our Turbo's are Oil and Water Cooled and do not suffer like other Tub's ..

Unless you regularly thrash the car within an inch of it's life and then stop suddenly and turn the car off ?

Cheers

Wodj

Wodjno
16-08-2010, 11:00 PM
Doh !! Beaten to it /pan

andyleaves
16-08-2010, 11:02 PM
See Glenn getting there :D

Wodjno
16-08-2010, 11:03 PM
See Glenn getting there :D

I was busy making a Coffee :dance:

foxdie
16-08-2010, 11:07 PM
Okay, yes, water and oil cooled turbos, but it's still good practice to let the car cool down a little before turning it off, 30 seconds or so should do it.

The only way to truly get the alarm to re-arm is to fit a fob into a circuit, and have it trigger the lock button when the turbo timer kills the engine, but you may have problems elsewhere such as doors locking / car arming if you're not out of the vehicle by the time the turbo timer cuts out.

For the sake of those 30 seconds, just let the turbo timer do it's work, by the time you've got out the car, got your coat etc, it should just about have finished :)

oldgit9
17-08-2010, 04:43 AM
Why don't you get an alarm system that has the option of adding a turbo timer?

There are loads of different cat 1 systems that can do this. I have a Hornet (a Clifford sister company) cat 1 system fitted to mine and the turbo timer only cost £50 to add on to the system. And it's simply the case of pressing two buttons on the fob when the car is running, then turn off the engine, leave the car, then arm the alarm in the normal way. The engine will keep on running and the car is armed. Job done!

Nick Mann
17-08-2010, 08:34 AM
I re-wired my alarm so the system works.

My alarm (Sigma cat 1) was wired into the ignition signal. So it wouldn't let you arm the alarm if the ignition was on. The turbo timer keeps the ignition on. There is the problem!

My solution was to wire the alarm in to the accessory signal. The turbo timer does not keep the accessory circuit energised, so on removing the key, the turbo timer is running but the alarm is happy to activate.

I do have a problem if I have the timer running for more thn a couple of minutes. Not sure what, but something triggers the alarm after that time. Maybe the internal sensors pick up on vibration fater that time, or the voltage sensor complains about the volts not being in the right ball park. As I only have it running for 30 seconds it's not a problem anyway.

Hope that helps!

Gizmo
17-08-2010, 08:04 PM
Okay, yes, water and oil cooled turbos, but it's still good practice to let the car cool down a little before turning it off, 30 seconds or so should do it.

The only way to truly get the alarm to re-arm is to fit a fob into a circuit, and have it trigger the lock button when the turbo timer kills the engine, but you may have problems elsewhere such as doors locking / car arming if you're not out of the vehicle by the time the turbo timer cuts out.

For the sake of those 30 seconds, just let the turbo timer do it's work, by the time you've got out the car, got your coat etc, it should just about have finished :)

Yeah i guess we could just set it to 30 seconds and wait around...but it just seems pointless having the thing! XD Ah well, it will just have to stay unarmed XP

Gizmo
17-08-2010, 09:20 PM
Why don't you get an alarm system that has the option of adding a turbo timer?

There are loads of different cat 1 systems that can do this. I have a Hornet (a Clifford sister company) cat 1 system fitted to mine and the turbo timer only cost £50 to add on to the system. And it's simply the case of pressing two buttons on the fob when the car is running, then turn off the engine, leave the car, then arm the alarm in the normal way. The engine will keep on running and the car is armed. Job done!

Its an idea getting a new alarm! Maybe something for the future! I just wondered if such a thing was possible to do reletively easily :P

Gizmo
17-08-2010, 09:23 PM
I re-wired my alarm so the system works.

My alarm (Sigma cat 1) was wired into the ignition signal. So it wouldn't let you arm the alarm if the ignition was on. The turbo timer keeps the ignition on. There is the problem!

My solution was to wire the alarm in to the accessory signal. The turbo timer does not keep the accessory circuit energised, so on removing the key, the turbo timer is running but the alarm is happy to activate.

I do have a problem if I have the timer running for more thn a couple of minutes. Not sure what, but something triggers the alarm after that time. Maybe the internal sensors pick up on vibration fater that time, or the voltage sensor complains about the volts not being in the right ball park. As I only have it running for 30 seconds it's not a problem anyway.

Hope that helps!

Thats not far off what i wanted to achive! Except i wanted the alarm to arm itself automatically once the engine had turned off to prevent setting itself off! hehe

Thank you for your responces though guys! Seems we will just have to stick with what we have for now :P