PDA

View Full Version : Xtreme

Jimbo
01-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Just had a few bits and bobs sorted (which on a VR4 meant I spent several hundred squids :laugh: ) ready for Trax.

40500 service (inc AYC flush/refill): £145 labour, £107 parts

ATF flush and refill: £29.08 labour, £20 parts (3 litres of Dextron 111 - this sound right, I thought it was more?)

Fit new brake discs (supplied): £117 labour :scared1:

Total cost - £412

Can't fault them at all, they've been absolutely brilliant to me both times I've serviced by car there and there service manager, Simon, is a star answering all my whiny email questions about discs, pads, tyres and service costs for the past month or so.

It's a bit of trek for me (80mile round trip), but call me paranoid android, they fill me with more confidence that my local Mitsi dealers. I'm sure others do this, but I've never had anyone actually go to the sort of detail as printing my brake disc thicknesses (in mm with 2 decimal places, no less) and tread wear measurments....nice touch. They washed my car too!!!!!!! First time in a service in 4 years someone has actually washed my car, and washed it good'n'proper too!!!

They get the Jimbo thumbs-up :thumbsup: (might try and learn how to fit my own discs, though!)

Nick Mann
01-09-2004, 09:25 PM
Fitting discs is not particularly difficult! If I could fit them all day for £100 a pair I would quit my job yesterday!

Having said that, good service and peace of mind almost always comes at a price, so if they do a good job, then sod the expense.

enigma
01-09-2004, 09:32 PM
My discs pads and calipers have been swapped so many times I lost count. I reckon I could do it blindfolded in 15 minutes now! (You may be able to put me to the test on Sunday!) :lipsrseal

zedy1
01-09-2004, 09:38 PM
ATF flush and refill: £29.08 labour, £20 parts (3 litres of Dextron 111 - this sound right, I thought it was more?)

the atf should be 8.9ltr if it has been flushed

Kieran
01-09-2004, 09:44 PM
Did you mean ATF or AYC refill Jimbo?

Jimbo
01-09-2004, 10:33 PM
the atf should be 8.9ltr if it has been flushed

Hmmm...that's what I was thinking.

Did you mean ATF or AYC refill Jimbo?

No, it says they used 6x 0.5ltrs worth for the ATF and 3x0.5lts for the AYC. Puzzling.... :rolleyes5

If the gearbox takes 9 litres then I must still have 6 litres of 40000 mile old gunge in my box. Ickle bit concerning :dozey:

Jimbo
01-09-2004, 10:36 PM
My discs pads and calipers have been swapped so many times I lost count. I reckon I could do it blindfolded in 15 minutes now! (You may be able to put me to the test on Sunday!) :lipsrseal

LOL, perhaps you should branch out with a sister company to BDA Fabrications then......"BDA Brakes Incorporated" ???

Ooof, I tell you what though, these discs may need some bedding in, but they don't 'arf stop the car sharpish!

bernmc
19-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Well, visited Xtreme myself today. Incidently, the first VR4 I ever drove was from these guys - back in the days when they were still Ralliart.

I'd contacted Oak Tree Mitsu in Coventry for some servicing prices last week - they didn't respond to my email, and didn't have time to talk to me when I phoned. Promised a reply sometime this week. Still no word. Phoned Xtreme on Friday - they could fit me in on Tuesday if I was prepared to wait (need more notice for a courtesy car). As I worked last night (Monday), I had today off, so waiting was fine.

Prices before VAT:

Deja Vu Jimbo: 40500 Service! £110 labour.
I asked them to do ALL the fluids, including a full ATF flush, and have a good look at the car as I'd just imported it.... Invoice didn't have any ATF on it, so I queried whether they'd actually done it - they assured me that they had, they just hadn't charged me for it! I'm just hoping they're trustworthy - any way to check...?
So labour for this: £82.50
Parts total: £148.08
This included:

Oil & Air filter
Sump washer
4.5l RS oil
6l AYC fluid
4l Antifreeze
2l Syntrax (eh- I hope that this isn't the ATF?)
1l brake fluid
Total inc VAT was £400.08.

Also said they'd knock off a £100 or so if I brought it back for the 4.5K service.

Nick Mann
19-04-2005, 07:38 PM
Could have been worse I guess.

The syntrax could be the gear oil for the rear diff? There are 3 seperate fluid areas to the AYC, one takes gear oil, the other two are AYC (ATF) fluid.

ritch_w
19-04-2005, 08:36 PM
so where / which ones the ATF then???? :inquisiti

Sulli
19-04-2005, 08:55 PM
Check your ATF on the dipstick to the left of the battery. It should be clearish brown I think.
Check your AYC fluid in compartment of right hand side of boot, undo cap and dipstick should show fresh red fluid.
Brake fluid - well this should be gold in colour as 1 litre will flush it all through.
Air filter - take of the housing and check it's new.
Antifreeze - should look new - blue maybe? (Reminds me, that's one thing I haven't done on mine - guide please :thumbsup: )
Me, i'm a total cynic, and reckon a lot of garages take people for a ride, as it is so easy to get away with. Though Extreme do have a good reputation, so i'm sure that is not the case with them.
It's a good feeling when you know it's all sorted and ready to rag, aint it Bern?

Nick Mann
19-04-2005, 09:58 PM
My ATF is clear red?
The AYC fluid check in the boot is only the hydraulic control fluid. Should also be clear red. There are 2 fills/drains on the diff itself for the other 2 fluids (clutch and gear). Check these through the fill plug. The 2 fluids in the diff will need changing long before the hydraulic fluid accessed from the boot.

bernmc
19-04-2005, 10:25 PM
so where / which ones the ATF then???? :inquisiti
As I said, I queried this and they said that it had been done, but they hadn't charged me for it. It would knock about £100 off the price, which is what they've offered to do for the next service too...

I'll run through the dipstix etc again, but my ATF was pink beforehand, so it would be difficult to tell. I'm not too concerned about being conned as I haven't been charged for it - I just want to be sure it was done for the gearbox' sake!

And yes, I may be tempted into a bit of abuse now.../whip!!

Sulli
19-04-2005, 10:33 PM
Nick
I checked the Ralliart service intervals, and the diff. tx box fluid checks are every 9k, with replacement being every 45k.
My diff and tx box were both checked at my last dealer service, and found to be OK, but would like to check myself.
You au fait with the procedure to check it? Diff looks easy enough - I guess I just undo the top plug and get a syringe in to check the fluid - what am I looking for?
How about the transfer box check??

Jimbo
19-04-2005, 10:44 PM
I'm not too concerned about being conned as I haven't been charged for it - I just want to be sure it was done for the gearbox' sake!

I hate to say this Bern, but I very much doubt they've flushed your ATF. At best they would have emptied and refilled the sump, but they certainly wouldn't have flushed the torque converter.

I had a big to-do with them in September last year, and also January this year on this very subject. Simon, their service manager - nice chap as he is - told me when pressed that they just don't have a procedure to do a full flush.

They're pretty rock solid with everything else though, and I would have kept going back there for all servicing despite my gearbox fiasco - I'd just have been sure to get an annual ATF flush done elsewhere /yes

I-S
19-04-2005, 10:49 PM
Everyone seems pretty flummoxed by ATF flushing. Basically don't trust any garage to do it because they'll **** it up.

SGHOM
19-04-2005, 10:49 PM
do it yourself ??
Wirdy has put up an excellent article in the members area on how to change the aYC etc.
unfortunately the pictures are missing, but if you want to PM either me or Nige, i'm sure we can send you the photo's via e'mail. :thumbsup:

Jimbo
19-04-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm keen to find out about AYC - is this "compartment" in the same place in the saloon's boot? I've looked many times in the past, but I've never found the bloomin' thing :inquisiti .

Derek, those piccy's would be mighty handy for future reference mate ;) :thumbsup:

SGHOM
19-04-2005, 10:57 PM
I could post a link ??....................... but then everyone would know !! /yes :embarasse :embarasse
keep it under your hat i say !! :scholar: :rolleyes4

bernmc
20-04-2005, 02:39 PM
I emailed Simon today, asking whether they went throught the full flush procedure, and this is the reply:

Hi Bernard,<o ="">
</o>
I have spoken to the technician involved and he can confirm that all, the driveline fluids have been replaced, these consisted of :<o =""></o>

Auto transmission fluid<o =""></o>

Transfer box<o =""></o>

Rear differential<o =""></o>

Ayc unit<o =""></o>

We also replaced the engine oil and filter, antifreeze and brake fluid.<o ="">
</o>
It looks as though we haven’t charged you for the ATF fluid, all other fluids are booked on your invoice.<o =""></o>

Hope this settles your mind.<o =""></o>

<o =""></o>Regards,<o =""></o>

Simon Grove
Aftersales Director
Central Motor Group Ltd.
<o =""></o>

Nick Mann
20-04-2005, 04:51 PM
Nick
You au fait with the procedure to check it?

Yes, but only because of Wirdys article in the members section. I'll see if I can add the photos later, as Nigel was good enough to send them to me too. It made my DIY experience a lot better!