PDA

View Full Version : 215/45 R17 or 225/50 R16?

Kieran
02-09-2004, 05:26 PM
Chaps,

Hordak's wheels are erm.... Well, "Battered" is the best way I can put it! :$ They do seriously need a refurb!

Seeing as I've still not sold my 16" Alloys, and money is TIGHT at the moment:$, I'm thinking about using them shod with 225/50s to provide a slightly softer ride and also a slightly rounder sidewall to protect the alloy. My daily use of the sport highlights the fidgety suspension like you wouldn't believe!

I could then keep the 17s with the 215/45s with tyres for trackday use...

Good idea?

enigma
02-09-2004, 06:21 PM
Anything that keeps ££££ notes in your pocket is a good idea!

If they were good enough for the GLS they are good enough for Hordak! :D

ritch_w
02-09-2004, 08:14 PM
would this involve having to buy tyres for 16" rims? if so whats the point - i would expect the 17" tyre to be cheaper.....

also if its just a case of needing to replace tyres - look for ones with better side wall protection ie Marshalls or Falkens

Nick Mann
02-09-2004, 09:26 PM
K - I am also in smelly street with my wheels. 2 are buckled!

I am thinking that 2 wheels from mitsy with tyres (about £150 each?) will be cheaper than any other option.

Unless you find a good group buy!!

Kieran
02-09-2004, 09:39 PM
would this involve having to buy tyres for 16" rims? if so whats the point - i would expect the 17" tyre to be cheaper.....

also if its just a case of needing to replace tyres - look for ones with better side wall protection ie Marshalls or Falkens

The Michelins on the car (which are ok but are one of the LOUDEST tyres on the planet!) have side protection beads... That's ok, but it's just not enough. I'm careful when parking, but I just find that having no sidewall protection (in terms of some bulge to cushion) when parking up is a pain.

The 16s are actually *cheaper*... Hence my consideration of them. For Falken ZE-512s it's about £6 a corner cheaper. Not much, but that's £24 on a set of four... Factor in wheel refurbishment costs and the 16s look appealing, no?

Nick - Interesting.... I'll send you a PM... I have had an idea :)

Big Ian
02-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Kieran,why not try and trade your 16" & 17" alloy's for a set of new 17" with tyres?
you can buy a decent set new for £550-up,i think it's worth a try go to a alloy wheel centre and offer your 2Xalloy's and bargain with them with the cash you'd spend on tyre's for the 16"...or try it with 1 set first,then work your way around them with offering the other set..."what you got to loose" they can only say no! but i think you'd soon patter them up to your way of thinking ;) .

Big Ian
02-09-2004, 09:45 PM
if the above work's?.....you could maybe go for these (link) for the track?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10400&item=2488694335&rd=1

Phil S
03-09-2004, 11:07 AM
I've got a two buckled rear wheels, one of which slowly seems to be leaking air. Just had two new tyres put on the back thinking I had a puncture (existing ones were pretty worn anyway), but the new tyre is deflating at the same rate :(

If anyone fancy's selling a couple of 17 inch sport rims with or without tyres let me know!

Phil S
03-09-2004, 11:47 AM
BTW - spoke to Mitsi Guildford and was told that they don't do a wheel and tyre package any longer......

adam_shaw
06-09-2004, 12:40 PM
BTW - spoke to Mitsi Guildford and was told that they don't do a wheel and tyre package any longer......

I think they're fibbing. :dozey:

I got back from my hols in Ireland having broken one wheel and bent another. (stone wall in road - ouch!)

The tyres were also pretty far gone so I got hold of my friendly neighbourhood mitsi dealer...

17" Wheel and Tyre Package (Dunlop Sports) came in at ~£190 each.

Considering the last time I was buying tyres I was over £100 each I thought it was a good deal.

I can look out the part number if it's any help...

A

Nick Mann
06-09-2004, 01:09 PM
The part number would be useful!

:-D

Phil S
06-09-2004, 01:16 PM
Part number would be great cheers...

adam_shaw
06-09-2004, 03:47 PM
As if by magic the part number appeared, from http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tmsweb/index.htm (just select Galant at the bottom)

SP023246 (Wheel and tyre)
SP023247 (Wheel only)

When I first went after them Mitsi said they didn't have any - but after some prodding by the local parts man (SGT in Taplow - great sales / great parts dept. / Service - not so impressed, but I digress) admitted they could make them up as needed.

Be good now,

A

colVR4
06-09-2004, 04:11 PM
Kieran,

I had the same problem with the wheels on my Sport and did some research before opting for my wheel package. I looked into replacement 17" wheels with tyres from Mitsubishi but they were going to be just over £600 for the set with CR4PPY Dunlop tyres on (poor traction and quick wearing).

There are some good Alloy packages around (especially in the back of magazines like Revs, MaxPower and their ilk) for anything between £500 and £700 depending on make of alloy and tyre. My wheel and tyre package cost a smidge over £700 for MOMO fighter and Avon ZZ-3 tyres and that was from Hal***ds.

I would do as suggested and sell your 17" and 16" on ebay and then put the money towards some decent wheels and tyres.

Then get the new spring and shocks upgrade later :-D :rolleyes5

Phil S
06-09-2004, 04:16 PM
Just spoke to the same garage in Guildford and gave the the part number, surprise surprise they do still do a wheel and tyre package! :-D

adam_shaw
07-09-2004, 08:01 AM
Just spoke to the same garage in Guildford and gave the the part number, surprise surprise they do still do a wheel and tyre package! :-D

So once again, we outwitted our suppliers with cunning use of their own part numbers :evil1:

:-D

A