PDA

View Full Version : Door open light / Battery problems

andydckent
26-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Hi there

I've recently been having a bit of trouble with the door open light coming on.

I thought that I had fixed the problem by turning round the rubber coated bracket that the drivers door clicks onto but the problem still seems to exist. However it only really happens when I shove against the door deliberately.

I have noticed that the light on the dash now also lights up when I brake. I am starting to wonder whether the problem may be with the boot. Several months ago I was rear ended and the rear bumper was replaced and the plastic trim now doesn't click in just right around the bottom. Does anyone know where the door open sensor is on the tailgate?

This issue has led to me having the jump start the car on several occasions, fortunately all of which have been on my drive at home.

I also wonder if there is a way of checking that the light being on is what's draining the battery and that its not something else or a bad battery or alternator?

Cheers!

Andy

mike74
26-08-2010, 12:54 PM
Don't know where the sensor is but you could always pull the interior bulbs to see if that stops the problem?

andydckent
18-11-2010, 06:44 PM
Right,

The issue seems to be with the door open switch on the drivers door.

To attempt to resolve the issue I removed the switch, took it apart and cleaned it up, however, if anything this has made the problem worse and the door always thinks its open. For the past few months I have got round this issue by sticking some folded over electrical tape to the door so that it pushes the switch in further.

Has anyone else had this problem? Would ordering a new switch solve the problem?

Cheers!

Andy

peter thomson
18-11-2010, 07:06 PM
Have you taped up the wire Andy because if you have removed the switch it may be connecting still. I have a few spare switches up here.

andydckent
18-11-2010, 07:11 PM
The switch is still connected its just that I've stuck a folded up clump of electrical tape on the actual door opposite it. This pushes the switch in further and therefore the door light goes off when close. Ideally only a temporary fix.

Gly
19-11-2010, 03:48 AM
new switch, or just unplug it,
but then the light will never operate with that door,