PDA

View Full Version : coilovers knocking

eddy
05-09-2010, 10:28 PM
ive recentley fitted a set off coilovers and they all knock bar the o/s rear but done a search on google and everyone has this problem so does anyone know if this is normal or not and is there anyway to solve it

Nutter_John
05-09-2010, 10:31 PM
Which brand are thet Eddy ?

BC's are known to knock and is normaly a case of the top nut needing to be tightened a little more .

tonyfazer
05-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I'm no expert on car suspension but coilovers are very much like motorcycle rear damper units just a bigger heavier unit too handle the job.

When changing out an old unit for a new unit on a motorcycle you have to set the pre-load on the spring and also the rebound and compression damping rate......if this is not done correctly the unit will not perform correctly and can make noises....

On cars i am led to believe that as long as these things are done and all bushes/bearing etc are in tollerances thats about it..

Hope this is of some help and i'm sure others on here will have more advice

Tony

Nutter_John
05-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Yeah they are almost the same Tony , most car one 's only have a combined rebound and compression adjustor , but the pre-load on the springs needs to be set at +5mm on BC's

tonyfazer
05-09-2010, 10:52 PM
Yeah they are almost the same Tony , most car one 's only have a combined rebound and compression adjustor , but the pre-load on the springs needs to be set at +5mm on BC's

Cheers for that John like i said others will know better just a lowly Motorcycle Mechanic......:2thumbsup

eddy
06-09-2010, 11:06 AM
they are jic ones and the only adjustment is the ride height they have got pillow ball top mounts but they are all tight

mike74
06-09-2010, 12:50 PM
I used to have JIC's on my pulsar & pretty much all of them clunked. I lived with them up until this winter which finished them off good n proper! :(
When I removed them I had a good look at the pillow mounts & the one which clunked most had the 'loosest' top mount of them all. I think its because unlike normal (ie rubber) top mounts there's nothing at all to take up any movement in the shocker so, even a tiny amount of clearance in the pillow mount will give a slight clunk. Don't know if there's anything that can be done with them other than ignore them or turn the stereo up louder.

Nutter_John
06-09-2010, 01:17 PM
can you not replace the top mounts with stock ones , as the adjustment side is no good on a vr4

eddy
06-09-2010, 04:14 PM
im pretty sure its not the top mounts loose ive had them off twice and stripped greased and checked them but will have a go and see if the standard mounts will fit