PDA

View Full Version : Break or Not Break...that is the question!

Maxus
05-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Hey Guys,

I am in a bit of a conundrum and hope i can pick the brains of the more "Mature" members for some good old honest advise. As some of you may know i currently have 2 VR4s at the moment. The older one has been stripped of the goodies (S-AYC, Projector Lights, etc) and put into the new one so now its time to sell the old one.

The problem i have is this, aside from having some cracking points (Carbos, Slotted Brakes, 60K Miles, etc) it also does have some bad points (Has been in a Cat-C, Minor Body Panel damage, Requires an MOT, Needs Wheel Sensor & AYC Pump).

So i have been having lots of chats with Foxdie, Nick & John about what the best route forward is for this car....do i sell her on to a new owner, or look to break the car up and sell for parts...?

Open to thoughts and/or opinions!

Cheers,

Maxus

Humpty's Revenge
05-09-2010, 10:51 PM
OK Tempt us with whats left on the car to justify breaking?

Also what would you expect to get by selling the car complete to how much you would get if you broke it.

hardarse
05-09-2010, 10:54 PM
if there wasnt money in parts people wouldnt look for cheap cars to strip. but on the other hand if you think its still worth a bit, its always easier to just get rid in a oner for less hassle mate

Nutter_John
05-09-2010, 10:55 PM
My view is that at this point in time the car is worth more in parts than it is in whole form

to be clear I would say that your looking at around £1000 to get it into a fully repaired state on the bodywork and ayc / abs , but alas the car is still a cat C

I will drop you PM tom as I have been thinking about this for ya :)

Maxus
05-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Thanks for the Replies so far :)

In response as to whats Brake-worthy, well pretty much the usual run-of-the-mill stuff, Engine, Interior, Panels, etc. Nothing extraordinarily amazing (i took the goodies! heh).

The only other thing turning me away from braking is that i really do-not have the time nor the space or tools to do a job, so would have to give this to someone else to do :(

Gargh, decisions, decisions...

Maxus

bradc
05-09-2010, 11:43 PM
I always think breaking a car is a bit of a shame as you are only lowering the numbers on the road. Over here we tend to get quite a bit less for VR-4's than you guys but only really break them if the car has been in a crash.

How many hours and how much will it cost to get the car back to being a good runner again and then how much more will you get back by selling it like that. It will be much less work than breaking, you'll probably make about the same amount of money and finally you keep one more VR-4 on the road for someone else to enjoy.

Maxus
07-09-2010, 09:38 PM
Hey Brad,

I agree with you, would be very nice to sell it on, but in it's current condition it might Be hard to sell her. If I can get the wheel sensor and AYC pump then I can put her through a MOT which should help The situation.

Cheers,

Maxus

chris300zx
08-09-2010, 01:01 AM
any pics

Nutter_John
08-09-2010, 01:41 AM
This is the thread from where Maxus purchased the car , some of the items on the car are not included as they have been put on his second car

the damage has been done on the rear nearside ( there may be photos on another post by Maxus)

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44495

Maxus
08-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Thanks John! Here is the thread of my crying about body-damage:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46350

Cheers,

Maxus

Maxus
10-09-2010, 01:45 PM
Awrghhhh! Nooo, the poll has gone 50/50 split down the middle.

I might throw it up in the For-Sale section and see what attention it grabs.

Cheers,

Maxus