PDA

View Full Version : Legacy BP/BL mirror on VR4

LouisC
08-09-2010, 11:45 AM
You can fix BP/BL LED mirror direclty on VR4 but little modification on mounting need.

BraindG
08-09-2010, 11:54 AM
do they still retract?

Kryton
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
Like it but agree, gotta still retract to be worth doing!

LouisC
08-09-2010, 04:40 PM
do they still retract?

Yes! retractable and the mirror with defrozen function

Kryton
08-09-2010, 06:06 PM
Right, on the phone to the scrappy in the morning then! Good job

LouisC
08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
when lights on....

Kryton
08-09-2010, 06:28 PM
Is the amount of light coming from the standard side repeator less than normal or is it just how it looks in the picture?

LouisC
09-09-2010, 02:13 AM
Is the amount of light coming from the standard side repeator less than normal or is it just how it looks in the picture?

Actually the light is normal but comparatively, the LED is much more brigther than standard bulb and make u confuse..Also, the brightness of LED depends on the angle because of the reflectors and the inherent properties of LED...

VR4 MAD
09-09-2010, 04:41 AM
Now this is interesting...................... /Banana /notworthy

Please can you give us more detail as to what is required to achieve the "little modification on mounting needed"................ :uhoh2:

Are the modifications to the car mounting position or the the mounting on the mirror itself?

The latter would mean one could return to the factory mirrors whenever one wanted too but the former could mean once these were fitted you might not be able to go back to the factory mirrors.........../duh

/toycar

MarkSanne
09-09-2010, 07:38 AM
I've been waiting a few years to finally find a post/mod like this arrived. And now it's time to create a side-repeaterless side panel with a vent in it :)

Good work LouisC !

LouisC
09-09-2010, 10:17 AM
Now this is interesting...................... /Banana /notworthy

Please can you give us more detail as to what is required to achieve the "little modification on mounting needed"................ :uhoh2:

Are the modifications to the car mounting position or the the mounting on the mirror itself?

The latter would mean one could return to the factory mirrors whenever one wanted too but the former could mean once these were fitted you might not be able to go back to the factory mirrors.........../duh

/toycar

First of all, the shape of the mirror base is exactly the same as the OEM mirror so no modificaion on the LED mirror is required. However, the position of fixing screws are difference and you have two options to consider...

1) drill another holes on the door frame according to the orientiation of the LED mirror. However, only two of three screw you can fix. Can resume to the factory mirrors.

2) no drilling on the door frame and making use of exisitng screw holes to fix the mirror. but you need to make an adapter to convert the screw position (this is what I have done). I will show u some pics about the adapter later. also can resume to factory mirros.

Last is the wiring works, u can chof off the plug and replace by original plug and do some simple re-wiring works...

LouisC
09-09-2010, 10:27 AM
I've been waiting a few years to finally find a post/mod like this arrived. And now it's time to create a side-repeaterless side panel with a vent in it :)

Good work LouisC !

Thx and actually, only two VR4s are equipped with the BP/BL LED mirror in Hong Kong (the silver one is mine). I have found this club few days ago and it is very professional. I will share more DIY items from HK here.:tiny:

MarkSanne
09-09-2010, 01:05 PM
I'm looking forward to reading more details about the wiring and the adaptor.

LouisC
09-09-2010, 01:41 PM
Pic (1) Factory waterproofing rubber can be fitted with the LED mirror
Pic (2) The position of the factory speaker can still be maintained if option 2 is adopted. For the Option 1, this speaker need to relocate.
Pic (3) Cut off the Legacy plug and connect with the VR4 plug (re-wiring need). So that u can resume with factory mirror anytime.
Pic (4) Conveying steel plate.

MarkSanne
10-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Nice! And would you also happen to have the wiring colors? Like 'LED mirror blue/white -> Mitsubishi wire red/yellow, etc ?

LouisC
10-09-2010, 05:19 PM
EC5A Wiring diagram first.. BP/BL mirror later...

Up - 5(-) and 7(+)
Down - 5(+) and 7 (-)
Left - 5(-) and 6 (+)
Right - 5(+) and 6(-)

Folding 2(-) and 3(+)
Open 2(+) and 3(-)

mattnz
11-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Now if only you could upload measurements of the adaptor plate maybe? :P

Also, what's involved in grabbing the indicator signal?

LouisC
11-09-2010, 02:25 AM
Here is the wiring diagram for Legacy. D5 and D15 is for LED mirror

LouisC
11-09-2010, 02:36 AM
Now if only you could upload measurements of the adaptor plate maybe? :P

Also, what's involved in grabbing the indicator signal?

from the side turn-signal light but terminal (i.e. +/-) should be correct cuz LED light. The size of adaptor is not important and I suggest you to measure the position of screw hole directly from the mirror and the door frame.

LouisC
11-09-2010, 02:50 AM
more pic for the adaptor

ratboyab
12-09-2010, 11:30 PM
I love this, any ideas on where to buy these mirrors from in the UK. Also I assume by Legacy you are talking about the Subaru Legacy, or am I getting completely the wrong idea?

Thanks - Adam

LouisC
13-09-2010, 02:18 AM
I love this, any ideas on where to buy these mirrors from in the UK. Also I assume by Legacy you are talking about the Subaru Legacy, or am I getting completely the wrong idea?

Thanks - Adam

Yes. It is coming from Subaru Legacy fourth generation but two type of LED mirrors (BP/BL) you can consider as shown in my first post.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_Legacy

ratboyab
13-09-2010, 06:27 AM
I can't seem to find anywhere that has them with the indicators built in, any ideas?

& Cheers LouisC - Adam

LouisC
13-09-2010, 03:17 PM
I can't seem to find anywhere that has them with the indicators built in, any ideas?

& Cheers LouisC - Adam

Silver one is BL (mine one) 2003~2006
Black one is BP (facelift) 2007~2008

tonyfazer
13-09-2010, 04:25 PM
This looks like a pretty cool mod......just need a car to do it on lol......also well explained dude:2thumbsup