PDA

View Full Version : BDA hELMET CAM footage

enigma
05-09-2004, 10:10 PM
Apologies for the low quality, but it is a £20 webcam glued to my helmet.

The funny farting sound and the accompanying deceleration on the last lap are very much to do with a very sick engine :dozey: However it was fixed and I was ready to roll again for an afternoon session........well I say session, it was more like half a lap! Fart, pop, BANG.........game over :( Some drifter tw@t got the session stopped after 2 laps anyway and I was so peed off I forgot to finish the webcam session so no footage of the 30 seconds of following the pace car! :laugh:

Did bag me a Clio sport before I got greedy and upped the boost on the start finish straight.........nearly drove off the track too :$

It was a great day despite having my car in bits for what seemed like 3 hours......ah, I have just been told it WAS 3 HOURS! AND THEN SOME! :lipsrseal

BDA HELMET CAM (17MB!) (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/john.hidle/images/TRAX%20RUN1%20oops.wmv)

Kieran
05-09-2004, 11:10 PM
Cracking Video! Surprised that the Clio held you off for so long! :rolleyes5

That engine fault is weird! :sad3: Any clues? Warning lights? Smoke? Or was it just a farty sound and then unhappy engine? :huh:

How did you fix it after the 1st session?

Jimbo
05-09-2004, 11:23 PM
Cracking Video! Surprised that the Clio held you off for so long! :rolleyes5

Phew, I thought it was just me that was struggling to get by them- damn, those things are quick in a straight line!

Fantastic vid - I was re-living every corner with you!

zentac
06-09-2004, 10:08 AM
These VR4 are slow.....I had no problem with the V6 sports ;)

Dave. I saw you turn the boost up twice throughout that session. How much were you running? You need to get the lambda sensor running and check you fueling, its got to be running lean on high boost and Im not convinced that your not getting detination as well. Get your self a long stethascope (sp?) so you can listen for det while in the car driving.

Nick Mann
06-09-2004, 01:30 PM
Air/fuel mixture monitoring has got to be a massive requirement now. Whatever the problem is, data from that would give a good hint at what it may be.

Physician
06-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Great stuff Dave ......... I must learn the driving line better!

enigma
07-09-2004, 04:51 PM
I think I may have sussed my engine out.......after much research today I have concluded the following:

I had lots of oil in my turbo pipes when I removed them..........this is apparently due to running high boost and getting blow by at the rings thus pressurising the crankcase, this pressure then gets expelled along with oil in a kind of mist through the breather and in to the inlet. Oil in the inlet means oil in the combustion chambers, this oil reduces the effective octane rating of the fuel and detonation sets in. The reason it went the second time is that there was still bags and bags of oil kicking around and at 0.8bar my engine said F*$K this!

Still it does give weight to the arguement they are bomb proof! Done 400 miles since Sunday and it hasn't missed a beat! Its quiet as a mouse too, the tappety noise is gone! WTF??!

Air fuel monitoring is high on my list, I have the sensor just need something to drive it now!

As for the racing lines.........mispent youth :lipsrseal :laugh:

Wodjno
07-09-2004, 06:34 PM

Nick Mann
07-09-2004, 06:48 PM
Sounds like a cheap answer!

But having said that, if the pressure is leaking past the rings, how do you increase power without that occurring?

Kieran
07-09-2004, 07:49 PM
I had lots of oil in my turbo pipes when I removed them..........this is apparently due to running high boost and getting blow by at the rings thus pressurising the crankcase, this pressure then gets expelled along with oil in a kind of mist through the breather and in to the inlet. Oil in the inlet means oil in the combustion chambers, this oil reduces the effective octane rating of the fuel and detonation sets in. The reason it went the second time is that there was still bags and bags of oil kicking around and at 0.8bar my engine said F*$K this!

A lot of 'racing' engines use catch tanks from the breather system.... From what you've said I think it may be an answer?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7920047100&category=33742

If detonation is to be kept at bay perhaps an aquamist system may also help?

mike
07-09-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm with Kieran - a catch tank makes sense, but include a swirl pot to extract as much of the oil as possible.

Not sure thats the full answer though Dave. :sad3: What state were the plugs in?

Mike.

Simon
07-09-2004, 08:16 PM
Im about to post about oil catch tanks in the members sections................as its interesting stuff....................im also waiting for my oil catch tank to arrive.....should be here by mid week.............GReedy...... :-b :)

Kieran
07-09-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm with Kieran - a catch tank makes sense, but include a swirl pot to extract as much of the oil as possible.

Not sure thats the full answer though Dave. :sad3: What state were the plugs in?

Mike.

:undecided Thought Swirl pots were to help with fuelling, to prevent the Injector rails going lean if the tank pump draws a bit of air through?

enigma
07-09-2004, 10:46 PM

Mike.

The plugs were in pretty good shape.....apart from the one that had been mullered! :rolleyes5

Kieran
10-09-2004, 08:24 PM
:undecided Thought Swirl pots were to help with fuelling, to prevent the Injector rails going lean if the tank pump draws a bit of air through?

Anyone?! Or can you get swirl pots for oil circulation too? :huh: :thinking: :rolleyes5

Simon
10-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Swirl pots are connected to the top radiator hose to allow the circulating water to "swirl" to allow any trapped air/air bubbles to escape from the system, and this allows for better cooling........