PDA

View Full Version : Replacing lateral (straight) arm - questions...

Atik
10-09-2010, 09:23 PM
I've got the dreaded suspension creaking and I have got myself a set of nearly new front lower lateral (straight) arms (covered a few thousand miles only) from a breaker. The passenger side one is the one thats creaking, but was thinking that as I have two nearly new arms, I'd replace both. However, one of the dust covers on them has been damaged in the removal process (those forked ball joint separators most likely the culprit).

So, as part of my Brembo upgrade, I had bought a set of dust covers just in case mine were a nightmare to take off, but didnt have to use them in the end as they came off without being damaged. They are now just sat there in the stockpile of bits in the cellar.

So I am thinking I can fit these new dust covers, while at the same time regreasing the ball joints.

Question is, how do I get the dust covers on/off? I've had a good look at Bern's article (http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22450&highlight=ball+joint+cover) on replacing the arms and have all the parts ready at hand, but cant see exactly how the covers come off.

I will also probably take off the compression arm and replace the dust covers on that while checking the ball joint is ok and replacing the cover. Makes sense to use the covers seeing as they cost me nearly £50.

Mark 4
10-09-2010, 09:42 PM
They are just a press fit Atik. Small hammer and a blunt chisel and just tap them off. I found that when fitting new ones the removable plastick second handle from my electric drill was the perfect sice and shape to tap the new ones on.

Nutter_John
10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
yep there very easy to do as Mark says

Davezj
10-09-2010, 09:47 PM
to get the dust covers off you should be able to slide a thin flat blade screwdriver or equiv. under the the rubber dust cover at 90 deg to were the ball joint sticks up and it should just be able to role/prize it off. it is just a friction fit.

i used to think it was bonded to the arm but this is not the case there is a lip of metal round the top of the ball joint opening where the threaded bit of ball joint is and the the dust cover is pushed over this bit and it lock in place.

Atik
10-09-2010, 10:14 PM
Excellent :)

Thanks guys. It appears to be stuck fast which is why I asked, but at the same time I thought its got to be removable as I obviously have replacement dust covers for it!

Will tackle this on Sunday.

Atik
12-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Ok, I managed to get the passenger side lateral arm off and it is actually getting close to seizing, so it was a good thing I managed to sort it now! I was only driving the car when I really needed to and could feel the steering getting heavy and 'vague'. Steering wheel wasn't returning to the middle when taking turns.

Anyway, I replaced the arm just now, with a nice greased ball joint and fresh dust cover. And took the car for a short drive.

The steering has become much lighter, but the wheel now feels almost too light! On bumpy undulating road surfaces, if I take my hands off the wheel, it swings left right very noticeably. It didn't do that before. On a left/right turning, when I turn the wheel, the steering feels like it wants to turn to full lock rather than return to straight. I have to actually direct the wheels back to straight.

Just doesnt feel right. Have I missed something? Nick mentioned that the bolt hole on the lateral arm that houses the suspension fork is very slightly different on the passenger/driver arm. Could I have used the wrong arm? The bolt went though the fork and arm without any issues - this is why I felt that the arm was the correct 'passenger' side one and finished the job.

Any advice? Is this normal? Will it settle down after a few miles? I've only taken the car for a spin round the block (about half a mile).

Atik
12-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Had some time to ponder this since installing and driven a few more miles. Steering feels much much better than it was, but I think its simply a case of getting the tracking sorted on the car now. The steering wheel is now aiming slightly left when the car is rolling straight. Steering feel and feedback through the wheel is back to how it used to be - except the tracking!