PDA

View Full Version : taxing a newly purchased vehicle

ANTHONY
18-09-2010, 08:59 PM
i'm trying to find a van for my son but all the cheap ones seem to be up north. i dont mind getting a train to have a look but if i were to buy one. i could phone my insurance co and insure it BUT if it has no tax on how do i get on. As if i'm a long way from home i'd want to drive it back home that day.

Wodjno
18-09-2010, 09:02 PM
i'm trying to find a van for my son but all the cheap ones seem to be up north. i dont mind getting a train to have a look but if i were to buy one. i could phone my insurance co and insure it BUT if it has no tax on how do i get on. As if i'm a long way from home i'd want to drive it back home that day.
Tax it online /yes

ANTHONY
18-09-2010, 09:04 PM
but if i'v only just got the van and insured over the phone i'd still be at the dealer and it wont yet be reg in my sons name

Spirit
18-09-2010, 09:04 PM
If it's a dealer (and the local PO is open) then they should be able to do it with their insurance certificate IIRC.

If not then, without at least a cover note, you could be buggered. One of the pains of not buying locally I guess.

ANTHONY
18-09-2010, 09:08 PM
If it's a dealer (and the local PO is open) then they should be able to do it with their insurance certificate IIRC.

If not then, without at least a cover note, you could be buggered. One of the pains of not buying locally I guess. so a dealer can tax a van/car with their insurance, i shall have to make more inquires about that Pete cheers

Wodjno
18-09-2010, 09:12 PM
so a dealer can tax a van/car with their insurance, i shall have to make more inquires about that Pete cheers

I agree with Pete :oops:

:p

Spirit
18-09-2010, 09:12 PM
Don't quote me Tony ! The problem may also be if they tax the vehicle then they will also become another registered keeper ? Then you will have to hope they forward you the V5 when then they receive it.

Quite often it's why people end up having to pick the car up later.

SGHOM
18-09-2010, 09:18 PM
As said Tony, a car/van can be collected taxed, it just puts another owner on the log book.

Nutter_John
18-09-2010, 09:19 PM
why not pay someone to drive it to your house on trade plates , put a requesut on shiply.com

ANTHONY
18-09-2010, 09:20 PM
this tax thing is a pain i wonder if the insurance co could fax a cover note to the dealer but would the PO except this

Wodjno
18-09-2010, 09:22 PM
this tax thing is a pain i wonder if the insurance co could fax a cover note to the dealer but would the PO except this

I tried that once and they wouldn't accept it :(

ANTHONY
18-09-2010, 09:24 PM
I tried that once and they wouldn't accept it :( bollox:huh: oh well may have to look for a van more locally or taxed

tonyfazer
18-09-2010, 09:25 PM
It depends on the policy that the trader/dealer has some will require the vehicle to go in the traders name but the majority of policies nowadays do not require it when a vehicle is taxed for the new owner..

Tony

Spirit
18-09-2010, 09:26 PM
But then you may pay well over the odds. If you're saving £500+ on it then surely it's worth 2 trips ?

ANTHONY
18-09-2010, 09:27 PM
It depends on the policy that the trader/dealer has some will require the vehicle to go in the traders name but the majority of policies nowadays do not require it when a vehicle is taxed for the new owner..

Tony looking better

Nick Mann
18-09-2010, 09:51 PM
I've never tried taxing a car in someone elses name, but my traders policy has always let me tax my vehicles. Nick Mann Services on the traders policy and Nicholas Mann on the cars V5.

I'd be quite suprised if the dealer can't sort that out, TBH.

ANTHONY
18-09-2010, 10:03 PM
cheers guys, if i do go look at a van in a Galaxy far far away i'll check with the dealer dont reary wanna make 2 long journeys. Nick seems to have the right idea. also john's plan could be an option.....why is UK car tax so complicated

Nutter_John
18-09-2010, 10:07 PM
You don't need to own the van to tax it as long as there is a valid insurance in place and an mot you can tax it ... When i picked my van up I emailed my insurance cert to them , they then went to the post office and got the tax disk

ratboyab
18-09-2010, 10:22 PM
I've picked loads of cars up in the past and driven them home without tax, I remember one I needed to use in an emergency and was driving it for about 6 days throughout the country and never had a problem. The DVLA isn't the problem as they seem to give a certain amount of grace for when you first aquire a vehicle, the only trouble you might have is it showing up on the polices LNPR database but to be honest if it's coming from a dealer it should still show on their system as being on a trade thing until the DVLA transfer the log book to your name on the system. I really wouldn't worry about it too much.

Nutter_John
18-09-2010, 10:40 PM
Not quite the case anymore if a car is SORN and it is on the road then you are up crap creak without a paddle

Kryton
19-09-2010, 11:15 AM
The only way the dealer will be able to tax the car using their insurance is if they register it to them 1st. Depending on how well they know their local P.O., they might be able to tax it using a fax. Alternatively, they can fill in the green slip, showing that they are going to be the new owner & use their certificate, & that way, the P.O. knows that they will be the new owner, but without registering it to them, so never adding a new owner. Some insurance companies now will email certificates, you can then print this out & will be acceptablem or alternatively, depending on the size of the garage, they may offere a 7 day free insurance & can sort it all out for you. Some P.O. are very slack, to the extent, i hvae taxed a car before from a fax of the v5, with no insurance certificate & no mot certificate. The joys of 'who you know' lol. There will be no way of taxing the car online until the v5 comes through in your name.