PDA

View Full Version : A question from an electrician to .......

SGHOM
18-09-2010, 09:12 PM
.... Any other electricians or trades people on here.

I should know the answer, but I don't. :sick:

With the abolition of HIP's ( home information packs) can I do domestic electrical work without being NIC or part P registered?

Got a couple of fuse board swaps to do for people I know.

Atik
18-09-2010, 09:30 PM
I think all Part P rules still apply Derek.

TAR
18-09-2010, 09:35 PM
Short answer will be no. HIP's are irrelevant in connection with electrical work. Anyone can carry out work but if you are not part p or NIC you need to notify the local council first and get it inspected afterwards by them.

Some things can be done without any notification but fuse boards are not one of those things.

At least that was what I was told when I enquired at my local council.

:happy:

miller
18-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Derek,

I need a power source to garden shed plus an extra security light next to an existing one.

Would you need part p for that?

Fancy it ?

Nick Mann
18-09-2010, 09:43 PM
What Tim said.

Part P is a must to perform notifiable work on a domestic property, or pay the council to inspect the work if not registered.

Fortunately, I know a part P registered electrician!

Nick Mann
18-09-2010, 09:44 PM
Mike - outdoor electrics are also part P. Officially.

miller
18-09-2010, 09:46 PM
ah right...

Wodjno
18-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Officially.
Unless it has always been there /Hmmm :lipseal :huh:

SGHOM
18-09-2010, 09:53 PM
Lots of quick answers!! Ty

it also begs the question, who now.... Without
HIP's... Is going to monitor & regulate?

Atik
18-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Who give a toss about regulating it! Until it becomes LAW like Corgi has, people are out there using cowboys. The number of times I've been called out to rectify cowboy work is unbelievable.

Not to sound racist, but being Asian and having most of my customer base being Asian, I see it all the time. They get cowboy workers in for almost anything and it works fine for a few weeks until the choc-block they connected to overheats and melts away and then they call a pro in. They pay twice for the work cos they were being a tight-wad in the first place.

Mike, as Nick has said, outdoor installations fall under Part P, unless (like Wodj said) its always been there? :whistle:

SGHOM
18-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Well said Atik

I'm no cowboy, I do a good job at a fair price.

I'm just not sure of who is regulating things now?

If I were running an electrical company, I would be niceic registered. But what's in place now to stop me changing a fuse board for a friend?

TAR
18-09-2010, 11:28 PM
When a property is sold, any building work or recent electrical/gas/fensa work is checked by the solicitor, same as a land registry search to ensure all works are legal. It could make it difficult to sell if those guarantees are not in place.

That said, who is to know when any electrical work was completed?

It would only matter if you were trying to justify a sale price.

Nutter_John
18-09-2010, 11:30 PM
IIRC wasn;t the wire colours changed at the same time you need to have a part p , and you can only buy the now standard coded wire .

Would imagine everything will have batch codes on that can be traced back to a date of manufatcor .

D why not sit your Part P ( I'm sure I said this to you 3 years ago :p )

Wodjno
18-09-2010, 11:31 PM
When a property is sold, any building work or recent electrical/gas/fensa work is checked by the solicitor, same as a land registry search to ensure all works are legal. It could make it difficult to sell if those guarantees are not in place.

That said, who is to know when any electrical work was completed?

Exactly my point in an earlier post /yes

Deny all knowledge and say it was there when u purchased the property /GJ

chugg
19-09-2010, 12:01 AM
I just passed my part p earlier this year :dance:

This is right:

Short answer will be no. HIP's are irrelevant in connection with electrical work. Anyone can carry out work but if you are not part p or NIC you need to notify the local council first and get it inspected afterwards by them.

Some things can be done without any notification but fuse boards are not one of those things.

At least that was what I was told when I enquired at my local council.

What Tim said.

Part P is a must to perform notifiable work on a domestic property, or pay the council to inspect the work if not registered.

Thats if you want to be legal about it, if not just tap your nose and collect some holiday funds!

Nick Mann
19-09-2010, 09:18 AM
Tbh part p is not tricky to get. It's just a bit expensive to get into. I had no issues getting it, but it costs about 400 a year for your registration, plus any meters you need or qualifications.

SGHOM
19-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Part p is not an option. It's too expensive for the amount of work I do.
I have no plans on going back to electrical work on my own.

TAR
19-09-2010, 11:19 AM
IIRC wasn;t the wire colours changed at the same time you need to have a part p , and you can only buy the now standard coded wire .

Would imagine everything will have batch codes on that can be traced back to a date of manufatcor .

The new wiring colours came in about a year before the new regs became law. There was also an overlap between when you could use both colours. They produced labels for use on the fusebox which warned of this situation.

chugg
19-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Tbh part p is not tricky to get. It's just a bit expensive to get into. I had no issues getting it, but it costs about 400 a year for your registration, plus any meters you need or qualifications.

:iagree:

I just did it with doing plumbing. Handy to have tho.