PDA

View Full Version : (FAQ) Should I Install Stainless Steel Brake Lines?

Brind
06-09-2004, 08:55 PM
Click Here (http://www.nsxprime.com/FAQ/Performance/brakelines.htm)

I just found this on the NSX forum.

wirdy
06-09-2004, 10:23 PM
Interesting reading, mmmmm?

Goodridge do loads of different colours of sheathing.
Would be interesting to get their take on the NSX owners' comments?

I haven't heard of racers replacing brake lines every season? or of failures?

Over to the forum floor..........

enigma
07-09-2004, 06:50 PM
I dont think the argument holds water! Do you check your hoses ever? Sure the MOT man might, but the fact is any brake line can fail at any time!

Polabear
07-09-2004, 07:06 PM
I have had braided stainless steel hoses fitted to three cars that I have owned, two of them quattros, and as I think Dave will agree they give you one helluva a solid pedal, and if you go one step further and use silicone fluid too (this is the next mod on the Bearmobile) you can forget about replacing brake fluid every two years.....sorry if I hijacked the thread .... :rolleyes5

Physician
08-09-2004, 11:07 PM
Very interesting read.

Ironically I went to see my garage today regarding the problems I had with my brakes at Silverstone to see what they recommended.

Whilst chatting I asked about braided hoses and asked what the advantages were (you know me - I'm not car technical!). He explained that it was basically to do with pressure but he personally felt the advantages were minimal. At that point his elderly father jumped into the conversation (ex-hillclimb racer) and advised me not to get them as it was highly likely that the ends/joints would fail fairly quickly. (Roughly what that NSX article was saying).

Just another point of view ....... :sad3:

wirdy
08-09-2004, 11:51 PM
As Dave A will confirm, the kit car fraternity have used these hoses for years without drama.
The ones on mine are 7 years old, fully inspectable and show no deterioration. Bikers have also used them for years too.
The weak point will always be the joints/unions that's obvious. They don't fail on aircraft either - you get more trouble with chafing of the rubber ones and fracturing of rigid ones.

Pete M
21-11-2004, 09:54 PM
Within the last year or so, the built-up type of brake hoses have become illegal to use on the road in New Zealand. I had to replace the braided hoses on my bike (thoughtfully fitted by a friend who was using it while I was in UK). I still had the original (20 years old) hoses, and was able to get a set of new ones made to the same dimensions. So screwed on fittings etc are now illegal as hoses have to be crimped and have a standards marking on them. It cost me about NZD150 to have five hoses made.

Kenneth
21-11-2004, 10:54 PM
I had the braided brake lines on my motorbike checked very thoroughly when going for my warrant of fitness... In NZ they have to be DOT approved, or you wont get your warrant.

Mine were dot approved, so it was all sweet. Steel Braided brake lines are great, I love em.

Unfortanatly like most things, there are people out there who are not so interested in quality. IMO if you do ANYTHING with brakes, suspension or tyres/wheels then you should make sure you are getting/using a quality product.

Thats my 2c worth...