PDA

View Full Version : Membership Fees ?

Spirit
24-06-2003, 12:23 AM
Okay, here is the situation.

We may need to look at starting a proper membership due to the costs/workload involved in running the site.

Of course, paying members would get the full benefits of access to the whole site INSERT INTO post VALUES (non-members will be restricted access) as well as future members offers such as discounts on parts INSERT INTO post VALUES (watch out for news very soon).

So, how much would you consider a fair price to pay a year ?

If you use the "Other" option then please post what on here.

Thanks

Pete

Roadrunner
24-06-2003, 08:30 AM
I'd be happy with up to £20 a year. That's in the range of what I pay to the ABD, MLR and SIDC and, tbh, I'm getting much more info from this BBS than I get from the others :)

Brian

strangebat
24-06-2003, 09:55 PM
happy to pay 20 quid a year, I've learnt more here in a month than in a year of trawling searching engines for a year

Pescha
25-06-2003, 06:21 AM
20 quid a year for me is a lot thats NZ$56.95. Thats huge to pay out as we are a young family :INSERT INTO post VALUES (... I joined here to be perfectly honest cause it was FREE!

And I love it dearly! :thumb:

Sits and waits in anticipation!

Cheers,
Pescha!

Spirit
25-06-2003, 07:08 AM
Pescha

You have raised a point that we need to discuss - i.e our overseas members. Whilst of course you benefit from the forums and advice etc, I doubt you would ever use the discounts for parts as you are in NZ - will speak to Barry about it.

Pete

Nick VR4
25-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Why not do donations first :Ponder:

landy
25-06-2003, 10:27 PM
i think donations are a good idea too.

i'll be prepared to donate so much a year, as long as it covers your overheads and keeps this site busy and popular :D :D

Spirit
25-06-2003, 10:42 PM
Nick/Landy

Fair point but you have to consider the costs such as the web address, the hosting costs, future things like a chat facility. Then there is the time involved by Barry setting up/maintaining ongoing. Also our personal time sorting out discounts INSERT INTO post VALUES (coming soon) etc.

Let's say you "donate" some money - is it then fair that someone else gets the same info/discounts as you for free ?

Let's hear some more comments/thoughts as this was the whole idea of the poll to get peoples opinions

Pete

BraindG
25-06-2003, 10:48 PM
can i ask, what is the difference betwen paying a donation.. and a members fee?

haydar
26-06-2003, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by BraindG
can i ask, what is the difference betwen paying a donation.. and a members fee?

I guess one is discrecinary while the other is a set amount?

Roadrunner
26-06-2003, 10:54 AM
The MLR operates a system whereby "members" get more privileges but the BBS is still open to everyone. I'm a member INSERT INTO post VALUES (and I get an icon below my username so everyone else knows ;) ) but I don't really make use of the discount schemes because everything's geared towards Evos. Good to hear about track days and stuff, though, which I occasionally do. Member of the SIDC for the same reason, even though I had a Legacy and hadn't had an Impreza since 1994.

Brian

Nick VR4
26-06-2003, 01:05 PM
I dont mind paying a fee as long as it put to use

With MLR you get Wastegate chatter mag every Q and when you join a Tshirt and a few other bits plus discounts

I'm also a bit careful when putting my Credit Card details over the WWW
I know its all secure INSERT INTO post VALUES (YEAH RIGHT) seen it too many times with someone getting caught out
INSERT INTO post VALUES (Remember guys I use to work for a Anti-virus company)

So there should be a post cheque address in my opinon

Cheers

BraindG
26-06-2003, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Nick VR4
With MLR you get Wastegate chatter mag every Q and when you join a Tshirt and a few other bits plus discounts

Something similair will be inplace here.. wee googies

I'm also a bit careful when putting my Credit Card details over the WWW
I know its all secure INSERT INTO post VALUES (YEAH RIGHT) seen it too many times with someone getting caught out
INSERT INTO post VALUES (Remember guys I use to work for a Anti-virus company)

Ive done it twice, reluctantly.. I know how easy it can be to hack into computers - thus everything I do on internet goes through a double layer, things of importance are made secure.

So there should be a post cheque address in my opinon

Yes, this has been considered dont worry :)

Cheers
Cheers

banjo
26-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Also for me, £20 yearly is fine, and as said by other members, I also have picked up good info from this site, thanks again.

landy
26-06-2003, 11:07 PM
i think the point made by H.7 is a good idea, like the MLR:

The MLR operates a system whereby "members" get more privileges but the BBS is still open to everyone.

calum
27-06-2003, 10:45 PM
It's only £10 or £20. If you can't afford that how can you run a VR4?

I'm happy to pay - I know there's costs and time and mucho effort involved. If I don't feel I've had value next year I may review my decision then, as can everybody else.

Thanks again for the effort so far, guys!

Calum

landy
27-06-2003, 11:12 PM
nicely put calum, i agree.

to be honest i would be lost without browsing through the various forum topics. where else would i go to find anything out about my pride and joy.

INSERT INTO post VALUES (do i need to get out more) lol :D :D

Spirit
28-06-2003, 09:26 AM
It's good to see the majority appreciate the time and money involved in running the club and I am sure we will only improve ongoing. Of course those not willing to pay a membership fee will probably regret it later - but thats just my opinion.

Keep the comments coming.

Pete

Lee
28-06-2003, 06:43 PM
Sorry but i dont think its about being able to afford it, this is the internet, and we all came here because it was easily available and free, nobody pays for scoobynet and look how many posts that gets and i doubt this forum will get as big, you need money to fund the site then i would look at advertising first and membership last, what about stickers or something like the t shirts to make a profit on to fund it that way.
Only my opinion of course

BraindG
28-06-2003, 06:48 PM
http://shop.scoobynet.co.uk/scoobynetplus.asp

Shutting down the forums isn’t necessarily what’s going to happen..

I doubt selling x amount of tshirts is going to cover the on going costs, once you have bought a Tshirt, are you really going to buy another? and another?

Theres not alot of money involved with advertising.. its more hassle than its worth..

Simon
30-06-2003, 06:10 PM
I'd pay 6p a day to be a member! INSERT INTO post VALUES (you all know rush for your calculators!):D Paying is fair. It provides a service for us with the VR4's ......and like u say above...where else are u going to go for your information. Other Clubs charge a fee to join eg. Sporting Fiats Club is over £24 just for membership, INSERT INTO post VALUES (most negative responses on here are solely looking at it only providing a web site...a lot more is involved behing the scenes....would you want to do it!...i wouldn't...haven't the time!)....for a flipping fiat 88bhp max!!!.....your just lucky its not being suggested we pay on £ per BHP!!!! Just out of curiousity that would be nearer £80.....then start tuning!$%*$!........ :devil2:

Simon
30-06-2003, 06:17 PM
P.S Yes i had a Punto......dont tell anyone.....but then i saw the light!;)

BraindG
30-06-2003, 06:20 PM
now simon... if you hadnt said that.. we would never have know! you could have picked that from the first car club you looked at..

but nope.. now we all know your dark little secret! wuuhhahahaahh

/puts on whiney playground voice.. "Simons, got a punto.. Simons got a punto!"

Simon
30-06-2003, 06:26 PM
I did have a Punto....but no longer! So dont upset me!:Cry1:
It was great!!!! Full Abarth body kit, Strut braces where ever i could fit them, a cool car:rolleyes: must stop, just realised that im not on the Fiat web site anymore!

Simon
30-06-2003, 06:33 PM
Not to change this forum from membership to Fiat....but......How does a VR4 engined Punto sound... .watch this space.:nono:

mook
30-06-2003, 07:04 PM
I'm also a member of the Celica-Club.co.uk and they have a membership scheme which works pretty well - here's how it works;

£10 a year gets you full membership, which is access to the whole site together with a club sticker and benefits from organised club discounts.

£20 a year gets you gold membership, which also provides a club cap and allows you authority to perform group buys. As a 'trade' member it also allows you the right to promote your goodies on the forums. This works well and no-one take sthe mick either.

If something like this sounds a decent option, I would happily provide some club graphics for a good rate, and pay for 'gold' membership giving a 10% discount on the stuff I do - http://skewer.co.uk - ooops, got one in there ahead of schedule ;) . The discount then goes to those who have paid up membership, so in the course of the year should save more than their fee plus giving the site admin/owners the necessary cash to keep the site running smoothly :D

Any good????

PAUL
01-07-2003, 11:26 AM
I am happy to pay a membership fee.

Paul.

Ailsa
01-07-2003, 12:58 PM
As a commitee member for SS-R I know how much work is involved and also how much extra work you give yourself by charging fees....

I'd be happy to pay up, but from experiance suggest you review the alternatives first for your own sake!

If you charge fees you have to be a lot more careful with regards to the legallity of any events you organise as you may be held responsible for anything that happens.

People will also expect some return for their money such as a membership pack. This means selecting the items to include such as keyrings, pens whatever. Paying them in bulk based on working out roughly how many members you will get actually paying and hope you get enough to break even INSERT INTO post VALUES (or do what we did and ask people to wait 4 months till we had enough cash to cover the costs...)

You also need to appoint a treasurer INSERT INTO post VALUES (which is an almost daily job) and open a club bank account so that you can receive payment in cheques or credit cards.

I think to open a bank account you have to have a recognised committee and chairmanINSERT INTO post VALUES (this might not be right); who will take responsibility for club actions and desicions, which means calling an AGM of all your members etc..etc..etc..etc...

I'm not saying don't do it, just pointing out the extra work it creates! Go in with your eyes open!

Why not ask some relevant business's to provide prizes in return for some advertising. Set up paypal in someones own name and organise a raffle or something in order to generate enough funds to cover you hosting costs?

BraindG
01-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Everything you have mentioned is INSERT INTO post VALUES (has) being discussed, and is either already set-up.. or waiting on returns/info... membership packs will more than likely include membership cards INSERT INTO post VALUES (credit card size, with imprinted # and name); tax disc holder, stickers, newsletters, your own forum, added to members car section, exclusive access to new features still to be implemented on the site , first choice at track days/shows and of course all the discount entitlements within the online shop INSERT INTO post VALUES (on one purchase alone you have made you money back - on selected items of course) further discount schemes will be introduced shortly as there are still a few ideas which I am keeping to myself INSERT INTO post VALUES (for now).

everything from committee members to PO BOX is being addressed as I type.. I have collateral so I am able process most aspects of the initial set-up fees.. some may say this is nonsense as I could be set to loose allot of money, however I believe in this, and want to see our cars represented in the UK..

money gathered from membership fees, is returned into the club, allowing us to purchase gazebos for club stands, and any future ideas that may appear including more club track day basically expanding the club from what it is now into something big. I have looked into the bank accounts, commitee members, roles/responsibilities - they all weight up fairly well. Ive spoken to a few people who run car clubs, and received some valuable information on all respects..

Ailsa, thanks for your input/concerns/ideas, they are all valuable to me, and the club. anyone with knowledge of club running is a valuable resource... so dont run away :D

thanks again..
"A stressed out" Barry :)

calum
01-07-2003, 06:28 PM
If there is a membership fee, and that is contributing towards the hosting, should it be set up so that only peeps who are members can post piccies? Those who don't pay are still subsidised by those who do, but not to the same extent?

Just a suggestion.

Calum

Ailsa
01-07-2003, 09:26 PM
No Probs Barry - Glad to see your way ahead of the game!:cool1:

bonsai boy
03-07-2003, 10:35 PM
£20 pounds to join i think is fair.
this site is good allready.
so with the extra dosh it would be even bigger.

Joe
11-07-2003, 12:34 AM
£10 has to be minimum unless the work load that is involved with running the site is spread out to other people within the site that are commited and are willing to do so?
but this sounds fair to me.

joe

zentac
18-07-2003, 07:39 PM
I am one of the guys that runs the FTO Owners Club, and have done for about 4 years, so I know how much time and effort people put into running both a small INSERT INTO post VALUES (200 members 4 years ago) and large club INSERT INTO post VALUES (1700+ members now)

Firstly I would like to disagree with the point made earlier about peoples time. I believe that the people running this club should do it for their love of the Car and shouldn’t get paid for it.

Also most of what Ailsa says is correct however we looked into AGM`s and there is no legal obligation to hold one.

You will need liability insurance, just in case your gazebo blows over etc… which is as follows for 2 million liability cover.
Up to 15 events per year £200
Over 15 events per year £325
Le me know if you’re interested and I will find out whom we use.

These boards currently have 250+ members, about 50 of which are active and the rest sleepers. Initially you will be doing well to get 30+ paid up members, but it will grow with time.

With so few members I think your going to have to charge that little bit more so you can get the club up and running INSERT INTO post VALUES (I would go for £25). Its also going to be more difficult to get discounts organised. I know I still have problems with 1700+ members.

And people are going to want to see some return for their money. News letters initially I would suggest half yearly, more as new members come on board.

Ok Im getting bored of typing now…

Having said all that I can put you in touch with most of the companies we use and I am willing to spare some of my time to help you get the club up and running. BraindG if you want to give me a ring to chat 07966 473951

Owen
22-07-2003, 10:36 PM
I think paying for membership is a great idea...I dont belive people would try and run this club for the love of there car..I love my car so much i would prefer to be driving it rather spending hours on a computer thinking about it and everytime you look up at your monitor VR4 everywhere.... the thought of it ....Torture!!!!!!!!
I have helped to run clubs and its a lot of work...and you stop enjoying it after a while.
i think 20£ is fair membership fee. If you manage to get 50 members in first year, i would be suprised and it would be less than £20/week for all that expence and work
I wish you good luck and look forward to it:devil4:

peterernest
28-07-2003, 12:45 PM
THE VR4 IS A VERY UNKNOWN CAR. EVEN MOST MITSUBISHI INSERT INTO post VALUES (INCLUDING SOME RALLIART) DEALERS ARE UNABLE TO ASSIST WITH ALL VR4 QUERIES. PERSONALLY, THIS SITE HAS BEEN A VALUABLE SOURCE OF INFORMATION AND HELP TO ME.

£20-£25 A YEAR FOR MEMBERSHIP IS VERY REASONABLE. IF YOU ARE A VR4 OWNER PUNCH 'GALANT VR4' INTO YAHOO AND SEE HOW MANY OF THE 6300 WORLDWIDE RESULTS INSERT INTO post VALUES (217 UK) ARE OF ANY GENUINE RELEVANCE OR USE!

IF I CAN BE OF ANY SUPPORT TO THIS SITE JUST ASK.

bastrd
06-08-2003, 09:22 AM
http://www.clubvr4.co.uk/forum/misc.php?action=getsmilies&s=i agre with your comment about overseas members not getting discounts etc ....i still enjoy the site heaps thanx all :hurrah:

Spirit
06-08-2003, 05:25 PM
I believe we have our answer ongoing - at present 68% of current members INSERT INTO post VALUES (who have voted) agree a fee of £10 to £20 a year is acceptable. Thanks all for the input so far - keep it coming and watch for developments soon.

amesh
14-08-2003, 02:13 PM
20 quid sounds good to me.

Japmetal
14-08-2003, 07:26 PM
I would be willing to pay for membership, except that probably most fo the discounts wouldnt be much use to me [since I dont have a phase 2 VR4]

If you want to start up a 'proper' club and need a wider membership base, might it be worth expanding to cater for other performace Galants - I know alot of people would take one look, think "Oh, but I dont have a VR4 so what's the point ?" and trek off to find another site for their beloved V6 Sport [I dont know if one even exists, but still]

If you wanted to go further than that, you could open up to be a Galant Owner's Club and then you'd really score some new membership [Just think of all those lonely Galant owners who could only afford the 2.0 !]

Kieran
15-08-2003, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by Japmetal
If you wanted to go further than that, you could open up to be a Galant Owner's Club and then you'd really score some new membership [Just think of all those lonely Galant owners who could only afford the 2.0 !]

:mad2: LONELY GALANT OWNERS WHO CAN ONLY AFFORD THE 2.0?!... Wash your mouth out!:D

Seriously, I agree with Japmetal - UK Galant owners in general could use some representation, but I don't think Club VR-4 is ready to expand to that degree just yet... I think the membership needs to be sorted INSERT INTO post VALUES (I think £20 is fine); links need to be forged INSERT INTO post VALUES (for parts/servicing discounts, etc); and then maybe review the situation. It'll be much easier to attract members if there is something to offer them beyond a friendly place to chat and meet like-minded owners.... But then again, would that dilute the original spirit and aims of Club VR-4:Ponder:

That's my 10 bobs worth... I'm off to be lonely with my 2.0 GLS:biglaugh:

ReggieK
23-08-2003, 06:35 PM
I don't even have a VR4 INSERT INTO post VALUES (yet) but think upto £20 is not unfair, specially as it is a rather restricted club.

I've already learnt more here in a week than I would have trawling round Mitsi garages in 6 months. Once I get one I would gladly pay a subscription to have access to the knowledge of the other members.

In saying that I currently belong to Mondeo Enthusiast Group which is free, but is a large group, so I suppose they must get a bit in sponsorship money. However STOC INSERT INTO post VALUES (the ST only offshoot) needs to charge as they are too small. Perhaps, as has been mentioned, if you expanded to the whole Galant range, having the bigger base might help?

Have you considered contacting the very few official Ralliart-Mitsubishi dealers for some sort of sponsorship? You probably have so i'll shut-up.

hobbit
13-09-2003, 10:18 AM
I have to agree with Pescha, being overseas and on a tight budget i would have little use for the discounts, but find the forums very useful. Perhaps something could be worked out for those overseas???

Not sure how much i could contribute but if it was 20 pounds by the time i pay the bank and transfer the money etc it probably would not be worthwhile for me to pay it.

in the immortal words of the Toyota add bugger.

Look forward to seeing what you propose.

Hobbit!

Brind
13-09-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by hobbit

in the immortal words of the Toyota add bugger.

That is the best advert I've ever seen!

Spirit
13-09-2003, 03:23 PM
I can confirm it will be a cheaper price for overseas members so don't panic

Regards

Pete

colVR4
09-10-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm new to the site and new to the Galant, but this site has been very helpful. I would have to agree that I would prefer to see a little more for other sporting Galants such as the V6 Sport, as there seems to be even less parts and information for mods to this motor than there are for the VR-Beast.

One suggestion is that you offer the first 10-20 memberships as automatic gold memberships on a first come first served basis. At this point you don't have to decide what gold membership will have that is different to standard membership, other than at some point in the future there will be added benefits. This may get the memberships started...and mine would be amongst the first. INSERT INTO post VALUES (Could include a gold members card for example). :Ponder:

@:^)