PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable suspension

Gizmo
21-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Hey guys and gals!

Just a quick question for anyone who may know....

Are the Bilstein B12 Shocks and Springs adjustable at all?

The reason being Maxus's VR4 has a little problem every now and then when either reversing on full lock or turning a tight corner at a bit of speed as the tyre seems to grind against something.

If it is adjustable how would one go about raising it a little and if not...what would be the solution?

Cheers! =)

Giz

Nutter_John
21-09-2010, 04:04 PM
AFAIK they are a fixed height unless they have a collete on them that allows you to squeeze the spring

Atik
21-09-2010, 04:30 PM
What size tyres are on the car? Could it be the tyres catching the inside of the wheel arch/well area? I know on my car the 235 wide tyres (some brands) catch a small area on the indide of the wheel well.

Nutter_John
21-09-2010, 04:31 PM
As atik says , or have a look at the front pasenger wheel well towards the front as it could be the liner come lose

Gizmo
21-09-2010, 09:12 PM
AFAIK they are a fixed height unless they have a collete on them that allows you to squeeze the spring

Hmmm, not sure, wouldnt know without looking, i cant remember off the top of my head. Could a collete be added if they dont have them already or would the solution be to get all new shocks and springs? =(

Gizmo
21-09-2010, 09:18 PM
What size tyres are on the car? Could it be the tyres catching the inside of the wheel arch/well area? I know on my car the 235 wide tyres (some brands) catch a small area on the indide of the wheel well.

I cant remember the width of the tyres to be honest, i know they are the Toyo Proxes fitted to the Evo 8 Enkei 17" rims. It used to have 18" Speedline rims on it before and i dont believe that it had a problem then, so its possible that it could be the width of the tyre.

In any case the front needs to be raised an inch at a guess as we struggle to go over any speed bumps or even get into our car park without taking chunks out of the front bumper! >_<

Mark 4
21-09-2010, 09:35 PM

What's a collete ?

And how much does she charge ?

Nutter_John
21-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Ok so I can;t spell but you knew what I meant :)

it is a ring on the suspension leg that allows the spring to pre-loaded thus raising the car a little

Gizmo I will have a look when the car is on the ramps on Friday

Mark 4
21-09-2010, 11:06 PM
No John, I really was not being facetious. Did you mean a collar, as in adjustable ?
Please do not think i was taking the pish, if I was it would be far less subtle.

Gizmo
21-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Ok so I can;t spell but you knew what I meant :)

it is a ring on the suspension leg that allows the spring to pre-loaded thus raising the car a little

Gizmo I will have a look when the car is on the ramps on Friday

Awesome! Cheers John! I probably wont see you when Tom drops the car off as i will be working, but when its up on the ramp could you do me a favor and check the front wheels for play as it sounds to me like a wheel bearing is on its way out as there seems to be rather a lot of noise when driving at about 70-80.

Thanks again man, your a super star! :P

Nutter_John
21-09-2010, 11:32 PM
No Worries buddy , but drive faster if it makes noise at 70 :)

Mark , yep as in rotating collar that shortens the spring