PDA

View Full Version : Auto/Tip gear change issue..

Legnum Boy
07-09-2004, 12:19 AM
Anyone know how much of a part the ECU plays in terms of gearchange control in the Auto/Tiptronic systems on our motors?

I have just today installed an APEXi RSM, and in doing so, I had the battery disconnected which has resulted in resetting the ECU.

I have now noticed that the car struggles to change into 3rd gear on full throttle... :sad3:

It hangs on to the rev's as if its waiting for the gears/plates to line up, which has resulted in actually hitting the Redline a few times. It pretty much behaves the same in Tip mode, sometimes taking as much as 2 seconds to finally select the gear.

I did think that it was just the learning process taking place, but I am not so sure now, as the other gears have settled into a nice smooth change.

Does anyone think that an MUT may be able to adjust this problem??

The gearbox is sound, fluid levels/temperature etc. (..and still covered by warranty for 10,000 more miles ;) ), and the install of the RSM is 100%.

Anyone got any ideas??

Spirit
07-09-2004, 01:05 AM
At this stage I would not panic, I would give it another day or two of "learning" first. I have never had an issue when I have reset my ecu but sure one or two others have commented before.

How did the RSM fitting go, take it was all okay as car is running again. If you need the power loss settings when you get a G sensor give me a shout ;)

Legnum Boy
07-09-2004, 01:34 AM
The fitting went well...( :lipsrseal :rolleyes5 )
I just wish I had made sure I had all the correct tools for the job before I started. ;) (Trying to crimp with a 50 yr old pair of pliers)

What you say about the ECU reset may be true. I had a little drive about 10 mins ago, a few 0-100 runs, and the change is getting a bit better. Well, not hitting the limiter now.. Fingers Crossed :lipsrseal

Got a 6.10 on my third run tonight, with launch.
Not bad for the few mods I have....

G-Sensor on its way soon, no doubt - along with an AVC-R... :-D :-D

Roadrunner
07-09-2004, 08:38 AM
I experienced a similar problem after I reset my ECU once. The advice I took at the time was, after the reset, to give the car some stick so it would learn a "sports" mode. I don't think this was best advice because I ended up with the sort of issue you have. I reset my ECU again and drove the car "relatively" gently for a few days and it was fine thereafter. I'd recommend another reset.

Brian

pjjohnson
07-09-2004, 08:39 AM
Mine does exactly the same when the ECU has been disconnected - the gear changes are awful to start with, and it takes a couple of hours of mixed driving to settle down.

Wodjno
08-09-2004, 11:25 PM

Beastlee
17-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Just as a leader on this, having installed the RSM my box shifts like a dog. It's worst in 1-2 and 3-4. 1-2 is a pain when cold as it can make the engine rev excessively. Have done approx 40 miles of mixed driving since reset but will persevere.

Lee

Kieran
17-03-2007, 10:39 PM
Just as a leader on this, having installed the RSM my box shifts like a dog. It's worst in 1-2 and 3-4. 1-2 is a pain when cold as it can make the engine rev excessively. Have done approx 40 miles of mixed driving since reset but will persevere.

Lee

Yeah, disconnecting the battery does make the gearbox go into 'mong' mode. Keep at it and it'll sort itself out. I find that booting the car a few times speeds up learning if it's making a mess of things - though follow this with some gentle driving. I would also say that it has been known for these beasties to take upto 200ish miles before they behave again, so don't panic just yet.:scholar:

ralliart-type-s
18-03-2007, 12:30 AM
Mine did this wierd sh*t too. Was like riding a langaroo on cobbles for an hour or so. That was a week ago, fine now. Dis-connected battery when I did my filter/plugs/backbox upgrades all in one go. Dunno if I did the right thing, thought I'd killed it when I got it out again. But as you all say, she was learning my driving style again. Now she drives like I stole her too!!!/rally

Beastlee
19-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Will be about 3 weeks till it's sorted then LOL, have only done 60 miles in a week.
It's had a few boots as I'm still playing with the RSM. Wil wait and see what happens.
At least it's learning from it's new driver rather than adapting from the old driver .