PDA

View Full Version : TRAX appraisal

Physician
07-09-2004, 02:52 PM
Silverstone track

A Virgins appraisal:

After the five laps or so I came off the track with mixed feelings, some of which will be controversial.

Like most of you, I'm sure, I love driving and driving well, albeit too fast at times. I pride myself in being able to judge the driving line correctly, judge distances and generally being aware of what is happening all around me, and well ahead of the car immediately in front of me. (Talivans excepted - lol!)

Out on the track I was very uncomfortable. It was unfamiliar and I was on a steep learning curve. Why?

Well, on the first lap I took it easy to try and learn the various bends. I was aware that I was watching my rear view mirror excessively but I just didn't know what sort of cars were on the track with me and possibly going to catch up unexpectedly within a few seconds. This, in turn, took my mind off my braking points and driving line.

I found the helmet particularly obstructive. You all know those slight movements, dark shadows, glinting bodywork in your peripheral vision of the rear view mirror and side mirrors and windows that tell you 'something' is there. I found that I was getting incorrect peripheral vision information because what I was actually seeing were corners of the helmet or visor etc. This led to having to make large head movements to check what was behind and beside me ..... again, not conducive to smooth driving.

The Galant itself really isn't a track car in it's standard form ........ please don't shout at me! It has a crap chassis and the only reason it stays on the track at all is because it's bristling with safety systems - ABS, ASC, AYC and TCL. But, of course, it's not manufactured to be a racing car - it's a luxury executive car with a moderately high powered engine providing extra 'kick' due to it's twin turbos.

As for the brakes ...... I've read it on the forums before - they are absolutely useless. Into my second lap I was charging down the Hangar Straight at 110-115 mph and slammed the brakes on to take the right hander and almost nothing happened ...... I just carried straight on. Almost total brake fade which I found very disconcerting, as I'm sure you can imagine. From then on I had a lousy time because I was now very concerned that if anyone was overtaking me (on the left) as we approached any bend I may go straight on and take them off the track with me.

When I was exiting the track after the run I was stopped momentarily in the queue and couldn't see a thing for a couple of seconds as smoke billowed up from the car in front of me ......... only to realise a moment later that it was MY brakes creating all the smoke!

I quite possibly didn't put enough air in my tyres ........ 35 psi all round which had them squeeling on just about every bend and my daughters even said there was a strong smell of rubber when I returned. AYC and TCL were also lighting up on most bends.

I guess 5 laps is nothing really and one can't expect to learn much in such a short session but it's certainly taught me a few things about the car in general.

I'm interested in what the 'experts' and other 'virgins' think. In particular, those of you that have had new brakes fitted - does it make a huge difference?

Richard

Jimbo
07-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Yeah, like you I was taking it quite easy in and on the approach to corners for almost the entire first session as I really had no idea how good my brakes really were or how much grip I would actually have.

The first session was a lot of fun for me, I got to overtake a few cars without really trying too hard and towards the end of that session I was realising that the grip I was getting was better than the cars I was following. I followed a moroon Clio for the best part of two laps seeing him slip and slide wide in every corner with me quite literally tootling behind him...

/edit: I didn't think we were supposed to overtake on corners, so it was only when quadal (I think?) and a focus went past me in the Luffields that I followed suit :laugh:

The second session was the one I really, really enjoyed. I know it was only 2 laps after the parade lap, but I'd gained a lot of confidence from the first session so I began to push a lot harder, especially with the brakes.

As you know, my brakes are not standard, and your (and other's) descriptions of the standard brakes suggests they are rather poor, but these AP's were continually "stamped" on all the way through that 2nd session, getting later and later before I weighed anchor and they worked incredibly well :)

The BMW driver left a real sour taste in my mouth, and I especially felt sorry for Heath and Nick who were on their first (and only) session. I am now desperate to have another go, hopefully Coombe this Saturday.

Richard, maybe try an uprated brake package to see what added confidence it gives you?

Nick Mann
07-09-2004, 07:39 PM
I was disappointed to not get a full go. Having said that I enjoyed it a lot. My nerves and adrenalin just about balanced themselves so I think I was thinking relatively well. Quadal overtook me on copse corner, so I started to get more aggressive then too! It was a massive learning curve for me, but having passengered with Derek at Castle Coombe probably not as daunting as it would have been otherwise. (Thanks again, D!)

I didn't get brake fade, but that could have been because my car is less powerful, slightly lighter and manual. I put my tyres to 37 all round, and didn't let them down afterwards. I had them at 32 previously. I should drop them, but I'm not going to drop them far as the car handles much better now!

I did enjoy it immensely and I am looking forward to next time!

Spirit
07-09-2004, 08:29 PM
I was very lucky in that my first experience of the VR4 on a track was at Haynes Motor Museum's track back in February this year, and it was a small tight track that involved lots of corners (so not massive speeds) and was one car at a time so I did not have to be concerned about other cars.

This day alone gave me the enthusiasm to go on to the likes of Combe and Silverstone since. Until you have experienced the VR4 on a track I don't think you have a chance to really see how these cars handle when really pushed.

My conclusions.....well better brakes will give added confidence for sure and I have been more than impressed with the National front discs and Ferodo DS2500 pads if your wallet cannot stretch to the likes of AP/KAD. In fact considering the set up is a mere £215 from Woodford I would recommend the upgrade even if you have no intention of track racing. I guess my lowered suspension also helps on track, but I believe the standard set up can me mastered with experience (just watch the likes of Simon), and just as important is faith in your tyres - Eagle F1's have done me proud. But, don't forget the faith in the standard car itself - the AYC works well and once you find the limits of your (and your car's) ability the fun is endless (at a price of course lol !).

I just hope that some of you now have a continued thirst for more track action, and maybe the next track day we attend will see a fully booked CVR4 session ;)

HJM
07-09-2004, 09:14 PM
As another first timer, I agree with all of the responses above, particularly the brake upgrade - I run the same set up as Pete and had no problems in my albeit short stint - or since.

Even from the barely 10 minute session that I had, I have def got the bug (hence, will be at Castle Combe on Saturday :D )

Also, great experience driving around with fellow club members - but you can't always trust them - on what turned out to be the final lap, I thought the V6's (Andy & Nick) were pulling over to let the mighty VR4 pass - only to find out the red flags were out and it was game over - just as I'd really started to enjoy myself :(

So, bring on the next CVR4 track outing :-D

SGHOM
07-09-2004, 09:20 PM
IMHO, the circuit was too fast for my liking. too flat also, you couldn't see some of the corners coming !! :lipsrseal :rolleyes5
on my 1st full lap, I was cornering pretty hard, when a Nova overtook me on three wheels !!
A Legnum is a lot of car to try & throw around.
I preferred the experience of Castle Combe to be honest.

Kieran
07-09-2004, 09:33 PM
My first session was a Castle Combe earlier this year.

Wearing a helmet was not nice and took some getting used to - especially because (and here's were you can laugh! :embarasse) the first thing I did was put the helmet on in the car and when I sat back up, because my GLS had a sunroof and therefore a lower ceiling, I got stuck! :embarasse :laugh:.... Then I clacked my visor down and all I could see was "FOR PROPER CARE AND MAINTENANCE OF THIS HELMET".... I'd forgotten to remove the protective strip, so I had to raise it again!!!:embarasse - By the time I was on the slip road onto the track, I was so nervous and pumped up with adrenalin that I couldn't stop my hands shaking!

However, by the end of the first lap, my fears had melted. I didn't realise just how wide the track was - plenty of room if I got it wrong. My GLS was safe and composed at the limit with driving manners, that whilst not suited to the enthusiast, were perfect for a novice... Predictable under steer, a talkative chassis (you could really FEEL the chassis and the suspension loading up, and it let you know exactly how much was left - once you learned how to 'listen' to it correctly!) and brakes that could cope with the car (my automatic GLS was only 15Kg lighter than Hordak because of the transmission, which is some 250/300Kg lighter than a VR-4). And I soon got used to coping with the limited visibility of the helmet.

On the second session I was initially gentler, just to make sure the GLS was happy with things, then it was GO GO GO!!!!

I backed off later in the session as I started to feel that the gearbox was getting a bit flustered - adding 500rpm before each change. As it happens, the ATF that was in was a mix of old and new, and the track hadn't done it any favours. Fortunately I hadn't completely ruined it and there was no smoke, flashing lights or dramas. Just an ATF flush and change to perform when I got back.

I think that had Silverstone been my first session, I would have similar feelings to Richard. However, because I knew the people and their cars, I felt a bit more confident. Also, because I was the slowest car on track I was left behind to enjoy the curves without the worry of a strange car bearing down on me. I didn't feel any pressure to 'keep up' and having the majority of the time to myself meant that I was free to set my own pace. For that reason I look forward to taking Hordak on the track.