PDA

View Full Version : Green Galant Vr2

NLduffyNL
24-09-2010, 11:42 PM
Hi all,
I dont know if your a bit interested to follow my project but i am busy with a swap from 4g63 (N/A 2.0 16v) to the vr4 engine with N/A manual v6 gearbox

We just started this week with the swap in the eveninghours.

My english is not that very good but ill do my best :)

Want to start with a few pics of the car and the process we got so far.

swapped the brakes from a n/a v6 together with the ...arm's
And putted a BC coiloverset underneath the car.

Painted the enginebay from turqoise (original colour) to black

Placed new belts/tensioners etc.

Relocated the actuator a bit, because the clutch slave cilinder is on that spot.

LudviG
25-09-2010, 10:32 AM
Nice project here :)

GalantOnly
25-09-2010, 11:02 AM
Veeeery sweet:) The good one with clutch cylinder.../yes

Is it a steel or alloy subframe in the car??

NLduffyNL
25-09-2010, 11:23 AM
It's a metal one,
We are going to see if it is possible to only cut a bit out (for the turbo) and weld some new plates in it.

If it isn't possible i got a vr4 subframe but i need to modified that one with the steering,

so the original subframe would be easyer to fix if its possible

GalantOnly
25-09-2010, 11:47 AM
If it isn't possible i got a vr4 subframe but i need to modified that one with the steering

How is that? I use the original VR4 alloy subframes in mine LHD conversions - there's no modifications needed

NLduffyNL
25-09-2010, 12:54 PM
http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KxQaCMOcecQ/TE9DDB2MS2I/AAAAAAAAAZE/mPMkQ1CByXs/s800/27072010685.JPG

A link to the picture, that needs to be rewelded and the vr4 subframe needs a lowering and my original proberly dont have to

GalantOnly
25-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I see... You use the old steering rack.../yes

I didn't :)

NLduffyNL
25-09-2010, 03:28 PM
Oh i see, and u didnt had to lower your subframe?
(because both vr2 swaps that i know in the netherlands got the vr4 subframe and had to weld that as the picture has shown, and they both lowered the subframe a bit with some spacers specially made

See below picture on the left and right side:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KxQaCMOcecQ/TFHs3kH8KTI/AAAAAAAAAao/wk-GYq7IrrY/s800/28072010695.JPG

GalantOnly
25-09-2010, 03:40 PM
Oh i see, and u didnt had to lower your subframe?
(because both vr2 swaps that i know in the netherlands got the vr4 subframe and had to weld that as the picture has shown, and they both lowered the subframe a bit with some spacers specially made

See below picture on the left and right side:

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_KxQaCMOcecQ/TFHs3kH8KTI/AAAAAAAAAao/wk-GYq7IrrY/s800/28072010695.JPG

/JawDroppi /JawDroppi /JawDroppi
What a hell is that?? Why did they do that? No, I didn't lowered the subframe..

NLduffyNL
25-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Haha, i dont have a clue why they did that. I'll ask him why (i'll reply when i know)

good to know you didnt have to do that. (it would be better if we dont need to)

Tonight we're going to get the engine in the enginebay and going to look what have to be adjusted to make it all fit.

GalantOnly
25-09-2010, 04:01 PM
My guess is that they did it, because it looks very shiny...:)

The Vee
26-09-2010, 01:21 AM
Didn't alter my subframe at all. Not sure I'd want to chop, bend, bash it or whatever as I wouldn't want to weaken it. On mine I had the cast downpipe on the rear turbo cut and redirected to avoid fouling the subframe. I then made new exhaust downpipes to fit. It's all explained in my thread from way back. Pictures of the wastegate location there too.
Good luck with the project - great feeling when it's done

NLduffyNL
26-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Ok, a correction from me:

He told me he didnt had to lower the subframe but needed to make some spacers to make the vr4 subframe fit. i only dont know why to need and weld the steeringrack. (sended a e-mail to ask)

Now my preference will go to the vr4 subframe to keep the car's strength.
But we'll see what it will be ;)

GalantOnly
26-09-2010, 01:11 PM
VR4 subframe goes straight in. Nothing has to be modified. Just one thing you must be aware of - you CAN'T use your old steerng rack from steel subframe. And, of course, you CAN'T use original VR4 RHD steering rack either...:)

NLduffyNL
26-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Haha all so confusing, one says this, the other says that.
Yesterday we couldnt look anymore but hopefully monday or theusday we can look with the subframe how to do it and what is possible.

Because this is really the old steeringrack with the vr4 subframe:
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_KxQaCMOcecQ/TE9DDuDnSGI/AAAAAAAAAZI/R5d4gHVbcOg/s800/27072010687.JPG

How did u do it then? because u say: You cant use your old steering rack and u cant use the original vr4 steering rack either?

NLduffyNL
28-09-2010, 10:55 PM
Update :)

We're gonna try and get the vr4 subframe fitted,
+ this gives as a lot more space in the enginebay
+ looks nicer
+ stronger

- Needs some modifications ;)

But we get over it :P

(all pictures are with the vr4 subframe on it)

Picture 1:
That is where the spacers need to come, its about 4cm we're short.
My brother is gonna make them this week (if his boss allowed him)

Picture 2+3:
Driversside, the mounting does not fit to the original of the vr4.

Picture 4:
Passengerside, this will fit without any problems.

What are we gonna do :

Were gonna take the rubber + bracket from the passengerside
Make a new bracket and weld this on the steeringrack, then bolt it to the subframe.

On the driverside we are going to cut the mountings off the steeringrack and place the rubber+bracket here.

This is proberly the same as someone else did, but im still waiting on his e-mail to get this confirmed. (because ive only looked at pictures from him + mine)

GalantOnly
28-09-2010, 11:07 PM
Looking good...:)

Just clear something up for me... Why are those spacers nessesary?

NLduffyNL
28-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Ok, going to answer it with a question:
How do i bolt them else?

All other mounts are fitted right, this one comes 4cm short

The Vee
28-09-2010, 11:12 PM
Looking good...:)

Just clear something up for me... Why are those spacers nessesary?

If I recall correctly, a vr4 has box section extensions from the chassis rail to meet the subframe. the alloy subframes from later FWD cars fit OK. Think the VR4 subs are cast steel. Spacers will work but not sure they will give the rigidity.

NLduffyNL
28-09-2010, 11:21 PM
Not sure about that chassisrail, but it is possible, it is diffrent anyway :P

and i know what you mean,

I got some pictures how the other guy did it, and i think it is pretty rigidity and secure this way.

It will be a little diffrent but principle theyre quite the same.

The Vee
28-09-2010, 11:25 PM
One other thing to check is that the gearbox mounting that attatches at the rear of the subframe near the bulkhead (firewall) will mate up with a FWD gearbox if you do use the VR4 subframe. May or may not need some mods. I suspect you'll need the bracket off a VR4 but not certain.

NLduffyNL
28-09-2010, 11:31 PM
Yea, im aware of that, we are not able to check that now, but it looks like its at the same spot.

We cant use the n/a mountingbracket it has a whole other attachting to the subframe.

So we're keeping our fingers crossed.
Else we're going to modify or make our own bracket ;)

GalantOnly
29-09-2010, 10:14 AM
If I recall correctly, a vr4 has box section extensions from the chassis rail to meet the subframe. the alloy subframes from later FWD cars fit OK. Think the VR4 subs are cast steel. Spacers will work but not sure they will give the rigidity.

Andy, you're absolutely right! I've checked the pictures... And that's what I found...
Later FWD, which got the alloy subframes, got those "extentions" too at the same time /yes

NLduffyNL
30-09-2010, 10:09 PM
Today we've been busy with the subframe and steeringrack,
1 side is done, tomorrow we hope to fix the other side.

Picture 1, the spacers my brother had made for me

Picture 2, spacer attached to the chassis

Picture 3, steeringrack on 1 side fitted

for the other side of the steeringrack we're going to make a new "mounting-brace"

sonicsoundzdj
01-10-2010, 12:25 AM
looking good, i would love to do this to my car. keep us updated on your process.

NLduffyNL
02-10-2010, 09:18 PM
Update:

Today we made the disicion with the guys from jjcp.eu to the make the wiringloom ourselves.

Now we have to wait for the wiringloom to come back from the guy who should make our wiringloom in the first place, but he couldn't find the wiringdiagrams and it would take to long and he had to much work to finish it in time.

Hopefully i get the loom's back this week so we can continue ;)

Update from today:

Look yourselves

Till so far the subfra me is on its place with the spacers between and the steeringrack provided of some new mounts.

And for the look's we've hanged the engine in the bay too
/megawoot

So that was it for today, it was a long day but pretty progressive.
Tomorrow a rest day and then we continue with the rest so we can focus on the wiringloom when it returns.

NLduffyNL
06-10-2010, 05:35 PM
The modifying of the rear bracket on the gearbox is more work than we thought.

Hopefully we going to fix it today so we can continue with the rest.

Picture 1: Little action picture, while cutting of a fraction of metal from the bracket to create a bit more space.

Picture 2: Exhaust diffrence, i allready had a 2.5" catback.
Now we're going to cut the catback exhaust en reweld it in an other angle and distance so i can put my cat. in for the MOT and going to make a straight pipe for the rest of the year ;)

NLduffyNL
09-10-2010, 07:34 PM
Today the guys who normally work on my car had to repair a other customers car. (she had broke it and had to be repaired in a few days)
So to bad they cant work fulltime on mine, hopefully they can in 3 days so they can finish it :)

Did yesterday:
-made all enginemounting good.
-putted the driveshafts in and putted the rims on so its rollable again.
(most things are done on the underside of the engine)

Today ive been busy with:
-rerouted the powersteeringlines (needed to bend a lot but its fixed now)
-Made new pieces of hose for the powersteering and fitted them
-1coolinghose made and fitted.
-Other coolinghose measured so i cant get a new one on monday or theusday
-6 new sparkplugs
-Fitted the old wiringloom in the car again.
-Fitted the new wiringloom on the engine.

Old wiringloom in the car:

NLduffyNL
16-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Well, today the story continue's

Today i had to go to a birthday, took a look at the car before i go there,
They going to start with the wiringloom.

Great news! So i took a little picture and went to the birtday.

Still at the birthday i get a phonecall around 19.00, its one of the guys.

Mark, your car is alive, it has started.
She ain't running on herself, she needs our help and started with a big backfire, but its alive..

So that is great news :D

This week going to fix the wiringloom in detail and build it back in the car, hopefully it will run on herself then.

I'm waiting full excitement :D
My day cant be broken! ;)

VR4WGN
17-10-2010, 05:42 PM
ida used an alloy subframe dude,to save weight man

NLduffyNL
18-10-2010, 01:34 PM
ida used an alloy subframe dude,to save weight man

/secret i dont understand what you are trying to say :anxious:

VR4WGN
18-10-2010, 05:32 PM
your front subframe that you fitted(vr4) the one with the mounts you made up,they come in alloy aswell as cast steel

VR4WGN
18-10-2010, 05:34 PM
aluminium that is

NLduffyNL
18-10-2010, 10:19 PM
You think that subframe vr4 is lighter then the stock one of mine?

VR4WGN
21-10-2010, 05:24 PM
the alloy 1 from an str will be i think so,and stronger too

NLduffyNL
21-10-2010, 06:36 PM
It's no problem, i can use some extra weight on the front wheels ;) :P

NLduffyNL
04-11-2010, 06:24 PM
1st pic show the car how it looks now.
With new piping and samco hoses.

Theusday we addemt a second try to start the car (first time it was going high rpm/low rpm all the time) so we shutted it down
Now we added the resistorpack (saw that i missed it) and connected a few other things,
Now he started and went to 7000rpm and stayed there. (proberly we got a vacuum leak)
We think that we found it, has to dry now so we can try again tomorrow.

We need to get a new feulline because my original one is a bit to short (its very tight now)
And there are more little things but i dont know at the moment :P

Meanwhile i received some new parts, that are the rest of the pictures.

GalantOnly
05-11-2010, 09:29 AM
What a nice engine cover!!!

adamvortex
06-11-2010, 07:39 PM
what a project! it has been very intresting to read and has got me hooked, i cant wait to see the final result. i would love to do a vr2 on my n/a galant,
im sure this car will be fun,but what about all that power through the front wheels?
your local tyre shop is going to love you!
keep up the good work

NLduffyNL
11-11-2010, 06:37 PM
Haha i hope not, im not a crazy driver, its a showcar and proberly not going to be my daily car (because ive bought a Swift gti 1.3 with 101Hp and it drives a lot cheaper, but still pretty fast)

I have connected the tweaked ecu from John yesterday and we healed the vacuumleak.
We tried again to start: Check! took few seconds and it started :)
Not 7000rpm but 6000 and when after 3seconds slowly back to 5000rpm.
But the engine sounded really good! and really didnt sound like 5000rpm, so i did some research, the 4cyl has an other signal, and its says +/- double of the rpm, so its good to know that its +/- 2000/2500.
Still need to connect a lot of little hoses, let the wastegates work, put in all clamps for the turbopiping, make a longer feulhose. and then exhaust and stuff :)

But im really happy that the engine is running smooth now :D

NLduffyNL
14-11-2010, 12:54 PM
Friday night ive been busy with the guys @ ASA to look how to connect all hoses and what some connectors are for.

Saturday, because the hoses where (more) connected, we heard a little vacuumleak, we could bolt it a little more and it was gone :)
Rpm went from 5000 to 1500 so thats great (because my 4cyl unit gives more rpm on the v6)

And i made a little movie for how its running now:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEAsc9eLkio

Now we can continue with finishing the wiringloom and weld the exhaust and lot of little things more ;)

Exhaust is proberly going to be 3" now
I allready had a 2,5" but we need to reweld it that far, that is proberly better to weld a whole new exhaust.
Then i'm going to make it 3" in the front, at the end its going to split in 2x 2" or 2,5" and going to make a double muffler (left/right) because that is really looking good on my rearbumper i think.

NLduffyNL
20-11-2010, 05:44 PM
- Got this week my 3 inch weldpiping

- Bought original cat. from a vr4 for the yearly inspection. (thnx Ralliart1)

- Today i got my mufflers: 2 HKS High Power Endmufflers. /woot :smitten:

GalantOnly
20-11-2010, 05:50 PM
Any wiring loom problems?:) I'm just curious.../yes

NLduffyNL
20-11-2010, 05:54 PM
Stil l need to check that all, first want to car to run smooth, all interiorwiring can be fixed later.

Allmoste forgot, we drove today our first little round :D

GalantOnly
20-11-2010, 06:04 PM
Nice :)

But if there's something strange about interior wiring - just ask. I know just about everything inside the interior loom /yes

NLduffyNL
11-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Hey, its been a while, we didn't do that much with this weather, because its to cold in the garage :P

But today the temp. was good inuff without the heatingcanon :P

We made a little improvement:

-Powersteering is working again
-The clutch worked nicely when we drove a little round (Hope it stays this way, because we had some probs with it)
-Ordered new clamps for the turbopiping
-New fuses are ordered (whole bunch of them, to fix few probs electrical)
-Weldflanges for the exhaust are still not here :S (I hope they get here a.s.a.p.)
-Next week i get my vr4 HC-dash so i can see how the car is running
-Worked out some idea's for the licenceplate (now only need to make it)

Proberly did some more things, but i don't remember it now :P

Meanwhile ive been busy with my console (and still busy)

And some little movie files on youtube (recorded with my phone)
(This all with only downpipe under the car)

First one, cold start and how its running:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aelx3W-tAI4

Car heated and give a little throttle:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwualrFIVlo

And this is the thirth time we drove a little round, this time with powersteering ;) and made a little movie what we didnt do the other times ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FlbayPZWm0

NLduffyNL
19-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Update:

To bad the powersteering is still leaking a bit fluid, hopefully we can fix the leaking soon.

This weak i received the new clamps for the turbopiping, fixed a few, the rest is going on next week.

I received the HC-dash from Uray25, modified it right away, now only need to modify it in the car and i got HC vr4dash :)

Here a little impression for the mid-console, going further with it next week:

This evening i've been busy with the licenceplateholder, i didnt want it on the normal place as every car has (because i think its ugly on this bumper)
And i couldnt do it on the place i had it before (because of the intercooler)
So i made one :) (only need to make it fit to the bumper with a few bolts and rubbers.

NLduffyNL
22-12-2010, 10:52 PM
Today i ordered somewhere else my weldingflanges for the exhaust, it was taking me to long, now i proberly get it this year :)

And i've been busy yesterday and today with my mid-console:

got the shape of the radio out:

The first putty (hope i got the right word for it) and smoothing it a bit:
Just did the 2nd level of putty on (filling little holes and fix corners) Its starting to look like something :P

Hopefully need to do this +/- 2 more times and hope i can smoothen it to get in primer and fresh paint :)

GalantOnly
23-12-2010, 03:55 AM
You must consider changing manual to automatic A/C, while you're re-wiring the car... It's not that hard :)

NLduffyNL
23-12-2010, 05:37 PM
You must consider changing manual to automatic A/C, while you're re-wiring the car... It's not that hard :)

If i still had my A/C (i pulled it out of the car because i never use it :) )

NLduffyNL
28-12-2010, 08:04 PM
Update:

I got my silencers for the exhaust

Finally got my weldflanges (From a other company, and i got them in 3days haha)

Part of my exhaust stuff :D
Today:

-All turboclamps are replaced for good ones.

-I needed to change the frontbumper a bit for the intercoolerpiping. (done for 95%, only need to smoothen it and put it back on the car)

-I placed HC dash
Had to do some adjustments
The how-to on the dutch galant forum was'nt exactly the same as what ive got (I had more cable's in the connector then the diagram said)
A well. i made the HC work, only dont got the Oil indicators (Is'nt a real problem because ive got the oilpressure and oiltemp. gauges)
If its getting annoying i might fix it, but its good inuff for now. (the same for the AYC error and the A/T indication in the mid section)

When the engine was a bit warm it went to +/-950 rpm (Didn't wait longer, might be a bit less)

Tomorrow we're going to try and fix the whole exhaust system from the front to the back.

And proberly going to bring my blowoff to a proffessionalwelder to weld it on my piping.

NLduffyNL
30-12-2010, 12:56 AM
Update of today: I've been busy with the frontbumper (95% --> 98% done) And welded a lot of the exhaust (going to finish it tomorrow)

First some pictures of the car in the workinplace followed by some pic's of making the exhaust
We're allmoste done but we talked a bit to much and the coffee was to good :P

Making the Exhaustsystem:

First we're started with making the part thats coming first after the cat. So we could make the cat-replacer next.

First part done:

Made cat. replacer:

And made the second part of the exhaust:

Now we got the mufflers on some wood on the right spot, so we can weld the Y-piece to the muffers and place/hang the mufflers under the car.

Here a last impression of how its going to look (sorry for bad quality pics)
Tomorrow only a few hours more and its all done nicely :D

NLduffyNL
29-01-2011, 08:23 PM
The car is allmoste done for the inspection (to get the 6a13tt on the carpapers)
I'm driving now some testkm's (drove 600km now without problems)
Need to get some new O-rings for the turbo's because theyre leaking pressure.. the pressure is not getting above the 0.5bar and i'm hearing the turbo's very good so its leaking pressure.

I'll post some new pics soon :)

NLduffyNL
28-02-2011, 10:57 PM
Okeey, its been a while ago,
To make a long story short,
Ive been to the "RDW" to get my other engine on the carpapers.... The inspection wasn't bad, some little things (allready fixed them)
But they have done bad things to my car.... They had my car on the machine to test your brakes.. He drove a bit to hard of it...

Now i have to wait 5 weeks for a new frontbumper (The manager told me that they would pay it all... i hope so because its a fcking expensive colour/frontbumper and the side they have to repaint)

But i'm really mad... i wanned to be on a show here in the Netherlands 27march, but i'm not gonna make it now (DAMMID!)
Going to make a phonecall to the company that sells the frontbumper if they could make a exception to send the frontbumper earlyer to The Netherlands.

A well... Join the Pictures... ive got more, but ive only uploaded to most interesting ones.
Questions? ask them! ;)425904259742596425954259442591425924259342589425 98

Galant_martin
05-05-2011, 11:09 AM
Hello

im reading this Thread, but its awhile ago since last Post..

Is that Project still alive?

But i really like that what u do :) I drive a 2,5L non Turbo EA0, think that urs is more fun to drive :D

Greetings from Austria

NLduffyNL
06-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Yea, im driving the car daily,
Cant do to much lately, need to work a lot, and not having the money all the time ready for the car ;) (Known problem for everyone i think ;))

The engine project is still going on.
Have a little pressure problems (sometimes) Because now ive got my boost back for 3weeks :S

Going to replace all my vac hoses anyway and placing an oil-catch-can, and i hope the problem aint coming back

One of these days im going to place my rear-strut
And maybe in the summer going to get myself a new downpipe 2,5 to 3"

My brother is making an sort of a box for my airfilter so i can place it where my battery supposed to be, and it gets fresh air true the vented bonnet.

Oh 2 little movies, nothing special, but a little idea.
First movie is to much wheelspin, and im playing with the power to lower the wheelspin (thats what u hear in 1st and 2nd)
But im getting better in driving the car without wheelspin ;) But sometimes i just want it to quick ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QodlRzf-wy8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6rr2yvg4wic

Galant_martin
07-05-2011, 09:50 PM
BTW which cable cross section did u use for the battery in the car boot?

I want my battery in the car boot too becouse my battery holder is very rusty and i want a better air intake, so i could make more place under the hood ;)

NLduffyNL
07-05-2011, 10:18 PM
I've used 35 square, and fused it twice, once in the boot, and double under the hood (If you look good in the picture u can see it)

Galant_martin
08-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Oh yes i see ;)
Thanks for the information!

Galant_martin
16-05-2011, 08:26 PM
And what fuse did u use in the boot and hood?

NLduffyNL
17-05-2011, 04:37 PM
I cant see it without getting the fuses out so im not going to do that.
But as far as i can see and i think.
Its 2x 75A (poss 60A)under the hood
and 1x 150A (poss 100A) in the boot.

Under the hood ive got those 2 cables from the fusebox into my fusebox with 2x 75A turned (could be 60A), 1 cable out (35sq) to the boot, 1 cable in, there fused 150A (could be 100A) 1 cable out, going to battery

Sorry i'm not sure what it is :(

NLduffyNL
01-07-2011, 01:00 PM
It's been a while since i've updated:

There been done a few things:
-ive got myself a pair of evo X seats in the front.
-Got a new set of polythurene engine mounts because 3/4 are torn. But i need to install the next week.
-Then ive been busy with my air box (and still busy)
-hoping soon to get new rubber to hang the exhaust well. (it can hang an inch higher, so i can drop the tail a bit)
-Next ive got myself a new pair of wheels, i still doubt if im gonna coat them high gloss black or leave them this way.
A well, its a lightweight 18" set. OZ's Ultraleggera. With ray's ultralight lugnuts and new Toyo Proxes T1R
Diffrence with my last pair of rims is including rubber = +/- 3kg (so 6kg on the drive because ive got FWD)
-Proberly going for a 2,5"/3" downpipe within a few weeks.

463694637146370[46368463674637246366

lateshow
03-07-2011, 10:33 AM
This car must be a hell of a lot quicker then vr4 for example 80-120. I've tuned thw original turbo setup to the max and vr4 seems to be disgustingly slow after 100 km/h. Bloody 4wd, didnt want it in the first place :) Propably this fwd consumes much less fuel too when driving nicely.

NLduffyNL
21-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Nah i have no complains about it ;) I can only complain about my wheelspin pfff :P
A well, ive been busy, i changed 3 out of 4 enginemounts.
1 is to big, but i'm going to try and make it smaller so it fits.

NLduffyNL
21-08-2011, 08:26 PM
And i've been to EPS, an company that makes custom exhausts.
They made me a nice new downpipe:
2x2,25" to 3"

and they fixed my end-mufflers, They were a pretty wobbly while driving.
Really annoying and it looks like crap!

Soo enjoin the pictures. I'm very happy with it!

Thing i noticed the most was the turbo's that are spooling more quickly and i can hear them a little more.
And i got more V6 sound when i release my throttle :)
At performance, proberly a yes, but i cant tell for sure because i got to much wheelspin and its allways hard to tell if ur really noticing a 10 or 20hp more.

peter m
21-08-2011, 08:57 PM
looking good mate, do you have a pic of the back end when she is on the ground,,i was thinking of going the same way with my exhausts on my galant

Nutter_John
21-08-2011, 08:58 PM
looking good Mark

NLduffyNL
21-08-2011, 09:17 PM
Thanks guys,
Peter, i got some when they were wobbly, in 1 of youtubelinks on page 3 u can see it better how it looks. I dont got a new pic when they are nice straight on it.

peter m
22-08-2011, 09:55 AM
thanks mate looks very good i think i will go this way

NLduffyNL
29-09-2011, 04:02 PM
First of all, ive bought a new car for the winter so the vr2 can go in the garage.
Its a Toyota Celica '78 1.6 dohc with 108hp (Snow fun)

Meanwhile ive been busy with a few things.
Ive got my new wheels on the car (sorry no picture added)

There is some progress on the airfilterarea
This week we are going to fit it again, make sure it fits exactly. Then its going to be laser cutted and welded.
All the bolts you see are going to disapear. and some more.. but you'll see when its done.

I dont know if i metioned in the past but my front-left wheel was allmost 1,5 inch out of the middle

Some while later ive heard from the guy where ive bought that "frontbear-arms" from. that the car it was from had some damage front left...:bigcry:

So, today i started with it, lucky i had my original front arms from the 2.0L because they are all the same.
Got it all lose, and started the checks.

First started with the top, check the picture, its clear that that isnt straight ;)
So changed this one out for the left one.

Everything back in place.... to bad that wasnt the problem, search for the next one.
The bow-arm
Bingo! now the wheel is nicely in place :D (I think i can be glad that nothing happened with those power on those front wheels)

MarkSanne
30-09-2011, 10:33 AM
Good you've found the faulty part Mark! Keep up the good work on the mahoosive, yet beautifull airfilter box/tunnel-thingy.

suzieboy
06-10-2011, 04:12 PM
hey guys where was that nice carbon fibre engine cover purchased?Or does any one hav stock to sell? thx

MarkSanne
06-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Search for 'Peter m'. He sells all kind of carbon parts.

NLduffyNL
28-11-2011, 08:56 PM
Just some pictures from yesterday witht the new wheels and the exhaust haning straight ;)

MarkSanne
28-11-2011, 09:44 PM
Great pics Mark! Those wheels look awesome!!!!

aboo
28-11-2011, 10:04 PM
Looking good. You should enter pics 6/7 into the calendar/yes

adamvortex
28-11-2011, 10:19 PM
very nice! defo a calendar car

Eurospec
29-11-2011, 07:07 PM
Yeah, that looks amazing! Well done dude!

Cheers,

Ben.

NLduffyNL
06-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Thanks all :D
To bad i was to late to react on this.
A well sh*t happends, But love your comments :)

mathilda
31-12-2011, 08:32 AM
Hi all,
I dont know if your a bit interested to follow my project but i am busy with a swap from 4g63 (N/A 2.0 16v) to the vr4 engine with N/A manual v6 gearbox. 2012 is coming ,so happy new year hi,I love to play free online games (http://anyonlinegames.com) such as Dueling Blades (http://www.dotmmo.com/dueling-blades-6371.html), Eldevin (http://www.dotmmo.com/eldevin-6344.html), Hidden Chronicles (http://www.dotmmo.com/hidden-chronicles-6357.html). learn more mmorpg games (http://popmmo.com) and browser games (http://browsergamesite.com).

We just started this week with the swap in the eveninghours.

My english is not that very good but ill do my best :)

Want to start with a few pics of the car and the process we got so far.

swapped the brakes from a n/a v6 together with the ...arm's
And putted a BC coiloverset underneath the car.

Painted the enginebay from turqoise (original colour) to black

Placed new belts/tensioners etc.

Relocated the actuator a bit, because the clutch slave cilinder is on that spot.

TO be honesty,the colour is nice ,aha:dance:

Galant_martin
30-03-2012, 08:00 PM
Hey ;)

Ive been away from this Forum a while.. is this project over or did u do anything in 2012? ;)

greetings

NLduffyNL
31-03-2012, 06:43 PM
The project aint over ;)

Ive just done some thing. The airfiltercompartment is done since this week.
Ive replaced the vacuuum hoses.

ill post some pictures in a while.

Im busy for the future to make the car 4WD.

a little question: Does someone know what a manual gearbox cost?

NLduffyNL
04-04-2012, 10:14 PM
Well done some few things again :)
Removed the restriction in the boost solenoid

replaced the vacuum hoses (including the original restriction from that hose ;) ) Have been troubleshooting a week, but its solved!

And i got my new airfiltercompartment. right behind the air-inlet from the hood.

Then we had Streetpower on the TT-circuit in Assen (car-event)
at 6 in the morning, started the engine, put my feet on the clutch pedal, pressed it... felt something broke.....
released the clutch pedal.... damn its like a sponge.....
Tried again... F*ck! same again.
Looked underneath the car and saw it leaking fluid.
So i started searching at 7 because it was still dark outside.
at 10pm we found the problem and had it out the car.
It was the clutchfluid-damper (a pretty new one, but proberly couldn't handle the strenght of the ACT clutch). We'll the picture speaks for itself...
I never had that damper when i had the 2L gearbox. so i thought it would work without.
We bended the old pipes fitted it straight on the secondaryclutchcilinder. And the problem is solved.

And to pictures when i was driving back from the event :)

Galant_martin
05-04-2012, 06:45 PM
Wow nice pics ;)

The clutchdamper is a weak point with a stronger clutch ( i already readed that) and i removed mine at the time where i replace my clutch..

Feels a little bit more "direct" as befor.. even with a normal replace part ;)

Btw what gearbox u had in?

NLduffyNL
03-05-2012, 07:27 PM
29th of april we had Japanese Carsports Festival (JAF in dutch)

I was very curious what the VR2 would do on the grid, and i registered myself for the 1/4 mile street legal drag.
Ive become 4th in B/SL and 3th in C/SL so im very happy with the results

Number Name Dial-in Reaction 60-foot Time Speed Diff. DateTime
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,559 2,631 14,349 156,182 14,349 29-04-12 9:01:06
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,695 2,522 13,967 164,384 13,967 29-04-12 9:29:51
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,563 2,568 14,127 169,412 14,127 29-04-12 9:53:03
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,500 2,455 14,054 169,811 14,054 29-04-12 10:19:58
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,500 2,627 14,699 169,014 14,699 29-04-12 10:52:31
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,282 2,527 13,854 172,249 13,854 29-04-12 11:10:32

What im going to do for the next time wich i hope to improve my time with:
-Shortshifter
-get less fuel in the tank (instead of 3/4 get it to 1/4 haha)
-get 5kg out of the car (easy removable for the next time) So i hope to get 40kg in total lighter at the start next time.
-Add a bit octane booster to get my octane at the same specs as in Japan. (Netherlands got ron98, next time i'm going to drive close to ron100)

-Going to test at what rpm it would be the best to change gears. (This time i getted the gears to the max rpm before i changed gears)
And i think i might improve when i change gears a bit lower (5500rpm or something like that)

aboo
03-05-2012, 09:01 PM
29th of april we had Japanese Carsports Festival (JAF in dutch)

I was very curious what the VR2 would do on the grid, and i registered myself for the 1/4 mile street legal drag.
Ive become 4th in B/SL and 3th in C/SL so im very happy with the results

Number Name Dial-in Reaction 60-foot Time Speed Diff. DateTime
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,559 2,631 14,349 156,182 14,349 29-04-12 9:01:06
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,695 2,522 13,967 164,384 13,967 29-04-12 9:29:51
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,563 2,568 14,127 169,412 14,127 29-04-12 9:53:03
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,500 2,455 14,054 169,811 14,054 29-04-12 10:19:58
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,500 2,627 14,699 169,014 14,699 29-04-12 10:52:31
451 Mark Duffhues 0,00 0,282 2,527 13,854 172,249 13,854 29-04-12 11:10:32

What im going to do for the next time wich i hope to improve my time with:
-Shortshifter
-get less fuel in the tank (instead of 3/4 get it to 1/4 haha)
-get 5kg out of the car (easy removable for the next time) So i hope to get 40kg in total lighter at the start next time.
-Add a bit octane booster to get my octane at the same specs as in Japan. (Netherlands got ron98, next time i'm going to drive close to ron100)

-Going to test at what rpm it would be the best to change gears. (This time i getted the gears to the max rpm before i changed gears)
And i think i might improve when i change gears a bit lower (5500rpm or something like that)
53141Welcome to the 13's club:)

adaxo
03-05-2012, 09:11 PM
:mexicanwav/GJ:mexicanwav

Well done

NLduffyNL
03-05-2012, 09:58 PM
Thanks guys, im very pleased with the results because its the first time :D
I hope my time is going a bit down to 13,5 that would be a great time to archieve next time.

I still have a new FPR laying in my garage, i think it would be smart adding it right?
Do we need a adapterplate or something to use it?

Note: The membership is payed so i would be member in a couple of days :) (yay!) haha

adaxo
03-05-2012, 10:33 PM
Note: The membership is payed so i would be member in a couple of days :) (yay!) haha

Nice one.
So now sit down and have a good read, its all there.

NLduffyNL
10-05-2012, 10:03 PM
Removed some more weight from the car.
About 16kg's less in the car (13 out of the rear and 3 out of the front)

I ordered the addco anti-swaybar from the US. And im busy for poly bushes at the suspension. That would do the trick to get better road-abuse ;)

NLduffyNL
03-06-2012, 01:36 PM
Update time!

Ordered, on the way or going to be happened soon:
-New intercooler core size 590x200x70mm
-HKS turbotimer
-Frontbumper needs some modifications for that intercooler and the garage for yearly inspection made some damage, so im letting that fixed too
-Tool to check turbosystem for leaks.

Meanwhile arrived and fitted:
-Addco anti-swaybar (only big mod that needs to be happened is make it the same lenght)
-Shortshifter

Done meanwhile:
-Stripped out all back interior
-Painted it all matt-black
-Painted inside the door black (it was stock colour)
-Cusco rear strutbrace made nice and clean and painted those feets shiny red

Colin Wiltshire
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Did you have to cut the holes for the rear strut brace to go through?

NLduffyNL
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
Jep thats correct.

BraindG
03-06-2012, 06:36 PM
I presume it's the legnum brace you have there?

Really enjoying this thread, been paying particular interest to the airbox - what was the reasoning for having such a large pipe from airbox to MAF?

Thanks

NLduffyNL
03-06-2012, 10:11 PM
Thanks Brian,
Sorry, cant help you with that question, ive bought it from someone in The Netherlands and he didnt tell me from what car it supposed to be. But big chance it should be for a Legnum.

The reason for the airboxsection:
-Don't narrow something that has his size originally that big. (took the size of the adaptor thats streight on the MAF)
-The lenght of the pipe because i dont wanned to disturb MAF readings (you proberly heard a lot of ppl who has issues when adding an open air filter)
-Position of the ari section is right underneath the little air intake on the hood. So it gets fresh air! :)

aboo
03-06-2012, 10:34 PM
I'v always been lead to believe you don't need a rear strut brace on a Galoon. The part you have cut to fit the rear strut brace does the job with out one.

NLduffyNL
04-06-2012, 05:47 PM
i'm not quite sure, you might be right but i think i did notice a bit of diffrence but not very much. But i think it looks cool too :) ;)

Today received the "find turbosystem leak tool" ;)

The Vee
05-06-2012, 02:02 PM
Still not fitted my addco, but good to see you've done it. Did you use the original droplinks or were new ones required? Is it now stiffer at the back end?

NLduffyNL
05-06-2012, 03:53 PM
Still not fitted my addco, but good to see you've done it. Did you use the original droplinks or were new ones required? Is it now stiffer at the back end?
Its better to order some new, those things doesn't cost a lot, and replacement with a new part can't hurt ;)
I needed to cut them both because they were to tight. Because i had new ones it wasn't hard to dicide to cut them haha.

With the testdrive i did i could'nt say it was a lot better.
now ive been driven it for a couple of days and i can defenatly say yes. You can notice diffrence. I think its worth is money :)

NLduffyNL
08-06-2012, 05:04 PM
Package arrived today :)

Autobahn88 intercooler :) Looks really good!
its an identical (performance and looks) to the Greddy intercooler.
Got some extra powersteeringhoses that i didnt expected (braided) to attatch to the new S-cooler
Can't wait to get it fitted ;)

aboo
08-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Nice/yes It does look exactly the same as my Greddy intercooler.

NLduffyNL
27-06-2012, 09:43 PM
Meanwhile received:
-Heatwrap
-Red tow
-Breather filter (needed one for the oilcatchcan that was a observation on the dragracing)
-Innovate AFR from the groupbuy

Today did a boostleaksearch with the new tools.
That is working really great!
Found one leak. i had 1bar pressure on the system, that went within 5seconds to 0.1bar
Tightened that clamp and now it kept 1.4bar for 5minutes, dropped 0.2bar in 20minutes So that is really nice.
Went for a little drive and very good noticable that the car is responding better :)

Placed my breatherfilter. checked everything under the hood. Allmoste done for Dragracing on friday :D (Tomorrow getting my audio back out and im fully ready)

aboo
27-06-2012, 11:11 PM
Good luck on the drag strip Mark & look forward to seeing your results.

Gingerfish
27-06-2012, 11:20 PM
You've done a brilliant job on your Galant project Mark. Sterling work chap :thumbsup:

MarkSanne
02-07-2012, 10:36 AM
Mark, is that turboleaksearch-thing the pro version of what I've made up (and have been using for years)? (I think you've seen it on pics on here or at the dutch forum).

NLduffyNL
05-09-2012, 09:17 PM
Yes it is MarkSanne :)

We'll meanwhile did some new upgrades
the damage that has been done by the garage has been restored and upgraded.
Now the core of the intercooler is full in the wind. (Bumper hole for the intercooler has been made 5cm bigger)

and if everything is ok i will receive my Apexi Avc-r this week!
Then i keep my boost at 1.1 bar (if my AFR say's its ok ;) ) (Now it drops to 0.8-0.9)

NLduffyNL
11-09-2012, 10:13 PM
Wow that avc-r adjustment is pretty difficult!
A we will get there ;)

Last friday another run at Airstrip Drachten, started with full tire pressure (2.8bar) and a 14.2xx on 1/4mile
And only did some dropping in tire pressure (till 2.2 because 1.8 was getting slower last time) and improved my own record (added to drag slips):
this was without the AVC-R by the way'. Sunday another one, i hope i got the AVC-R a bit adjusted.

R/T 0.327 sec
60ft 2.332 sec
1/8mile time 9.046 sec
1/8mile speed 135.85 km/h
1/4mile time 13.656 sec
1/4mile speed 169.81 km/h

German-Dave
12-09-2012, 02:08 PM
Nice.

elnevio
12-09-2012, 02:21 PM
Excellent times. Just need to improve that 60ft time now! :thumbsup:

Dropping the tyre pressures does give you more traction off the line, but hurts further down the strip when traction is no longer important. It's all about finding the balance!

NLduffyNL
12-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Excellent times. Just need to improve that 60ft time now! :thumbsup:
Yes your right, but that is really hard with FWD!!

Dropping the tyre pressures does give you more traction off the line, but hurts further down the strip when traction is no longer important. It's all about finding the balance!
So true, last time on airstrip drachten, i was getting slower on the 1/4mile but my 60ft still improving ;) I think my right tirepressure would be around the 2/2.1bar
But i'll try that the last run because i cant get my tire pressure up on track ;)

Thanks!

aboo
12-09-2012, 05:47 PM
Nice time there Mark well done/yes.

The last time Phil(phosty) & I were at the 1/4 mile we found our times were dropping as the day went on & we both think it is down to the ECU starts pulling timing due to heat soak.

NLduffyNL
14-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Nice time there Mark well done/yes.

The last time Phil(phosty) & I were at the 1/4 mile we found our times were dropping as the day went on & we both think it is down to the ECU starts pulling timing due to heat soak.

Thank you Aboo,
That is what i am seeing too, allmoste every time ive been on the dragstip the times are improving after a few runs.
I don't know if its the ECU, i don't think so, ive to drive 200km before im entering the area where it all happends, so it should be pretty heatened up ;)
What i have expierenced is that i think the biggest "+" is that due the day the old rubber gets burned off and you get new rubber, then the track is at a better temperature too.

Sunday is Supersunday event @ Circuitpark Zandvoort.
That is a more open asphalt then the airstrip @ Drachten.
With Semi-Slicks should it be better on open asphalt then "closed" asphalt what is at Drachten.
So i'll see, would be wonderfull if the AVC-R and the more open asphalt would bring me a 13.5xx :)

NLduffyNL
20-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Well im back from Circuit Zandvoort and indeed my time did improve again! Even with a mis-shift still had a 13.821 :P (slowest run of the day)

I'm still having problems with my AVC-R adjustment (would be great of someone could help me in the boost section of the forum)
But it is allready better then the stock solenoid on ecu ;)

Fastest run Super Sunday @ Zandvoort:
R/T 0.131sec
60ft 2.348sec
1/8mile 9.001sec
1/8speed 136.11km/h
1/4mile 13.563sec
1/4speed 172.66km/h

A member of GalantFans in The Netherlands spotted me and made a little complication from 3 runs he saw, I thank him for that!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PiYUqBgrg&list=UUqXRfObMyt6gktdlHDjHMug&index=1&feature=plcp

I was very surprised to defeat the Subaru Impreza, i don't know what he had under his hood, but he was driving a sequential gearbox and was revving his launchcontrol. So never guessed that i would beat him ;)

BraindG
20-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Heel goed gedaan! Lekker man.

NLduffyNL
20-11-2012, 09:19 PM
Little update:
the dragracing season is over.
Last race i became 3th :)

Well in the DHRA (Dutch Hot Rod Association) season i raced in the B/StreetLegal (13.00-13.99sec) class and ive become 4th on the DSPS (Dutch Street Power Series, 28cars) and 5th in the EDRS (European Drag Racing Series) (about 48 cars, mainly the netherlands and germany)

aboo
20-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Well done :)

The Vee
21-11-2012, 01:20 PM
That's impressive. Flying the VR2 flag!

NLduffyNL
28-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Well the first gearbox is down ;)
The rattle is getting louder every day, only driving the car when i really need to.
Hopefully i can bring the gearbox next week to a man that is going to do a revision.
No real upgrades yet, when going to get the gearbox out i'm going to connect the AFR and FPR to the car :)

NLduffyNL
22-04-2013, 07:11 PM
Gearbox is back under the car :) No more weird sounds and driving smoother (less vibes)
That last thing probably would have caused the vibes would be the cv joint that was missing some parts ;)

One of the other problems was the primairy shaft that had a lot of tolerance http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mpZX0YkODdE
refitted new primairy axel, bearings, seals and synchromesh rings and a few small things.
It had proberbly wrong oil in it for a while, because all the oil that was inside the gearbox was very sticky and thick and some parts were even affected.

Didnt fit the AFR and FPR yet, might do that some other time ;)

And a few pictures of the sunny weather saturday :)

Galant_martin
22-04-2013, 07:32 PM
Hey :)

Nice pics, and how long did u need to refurbish ur gearbox? Mine makes strange sounds too sometimes.. What gearbox do u use?

NLduffyNL
22-04-2013, 07:43 PM
I'm using the N/A V6 gearbox.
I had it done by and ex-gearbox-mechanic of mitsubishi :) i deliverd the gearbox to him at tuesday night around 23.00 and i got it back washed and fixed at friday morning

Galant_martin
22-04-2013, 07:56 PM
I just read it on the first page ;)

Nice, what did u pay for the parts?

And, another question.. Can i use ur posts and pics for german Mitsubishi forum and translate it in german?

NLduffyNL
22-04-2013, 09:19 PM
All parts were around 450euro, but it was that expensive because of the primary axle that was damaged as you see in the youtube movie. (that was 170euro)

Sure no problem :)

NLduffyNL
17-08-2013, 06:54 PM
We'll ive got my car for sale, because i want to go drive evo 8/9
And don't want to be the 'man with the green car" in this village ;) hahha

Got my Tomei Type-S Fuelpressure regulator fitted, and AFR, doing pretty good actually.

And some new pictures from 2weeks ago,... really have to share those with you guys, to bad cant upload in the right quality :)

Gingerfish
17-08-2013, 08:11 PM
Car looks awesome dude. Shame you're selling up.

adaxo
17-08-2013, 08:25 PM
Love second picture with that jet taking off at the background :thumbsup:

NLduffyNL
22-08-2013, 09:49 PM
Thnx guys,
Yea i know it actually hurts to sell the car...
But if i want to go any further with this car, i need to make it 4WD
Rebuild engine with upgraded parts and big single probably... Well gonna cost more then 10.000euro when im done with that...
I think its better to sell this car... start over again with a newer car, that allready has 4WD and a lot of potential and parts available.