PDA

View Full Version : CAT needed

landy
07-09-2004, 08:39 PM
A continuation of my MOT post, I still haven't found the CAT that I apparently need for the MOT.

Does anyone have one for sale?

If not I may even think about a new dragger exhaust (this is the only excuse I need), but does anyone know if the dragger exhust (or any other for that matter) includes a CAT or do they need one?

Spirit
07-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Sorry mate, keeping my CAT in case needed in the future.

To answer your Drager question, no it does not come with a CAT (none will) and mine is fine without one......sounds lurverly ;)

nick-f1
07-09-2004, 08:48 PM
A continuation of my MOT post, I still haven't found the CAT that I apparently need for the MOT.

Does anyone have one for sale?

If not I may even think about a new dragger exhaust (this is the only excuse I need), but does anyone know if the dragger exhust (or any other for that matter) includes a CAT or do they need one?

Dragger's are a cat-back system, that is from the cat to rear.

If your not too far away Landy I might be prepared to lend you mine if you get stuck. I'm removing it this week and fitting BDA's de-cat pipe. (At long last) I live near Bournemouth.

landy
07-09-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks Nick, I much appreciate your offer. I am from Newtown, Powys though, Bournemouth is quite far (about 200 miles) but if all else fails I would be willing if you are :-D

nick-f1
07-09-2004, 09:24 PM
I am from Newtown, Powys :-D

How far is that from Ammanford Landy? My sister in law lives there but her son ( my nephew ) works/stays in B'mouth but goes home quite often. We might be able to work something out . Having said that its still on the car at the mo'.

SGHOM
07-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Or, drive to sheffield, & have it tested at the place I use.

quote/ "If the car is not listed on their government data sheet, [ which a legnum isn't ] then we cannot do an emmisions test " the test is simply bypassed, & 'pass' written on the test sheet.

Jimbo
07-09-2004, 10:03 PM
What sort of timescale are you on, Landy? I too have one of Dave's excellent DeCat pipes, but like Nick, it's not fitted yet.

I guess I'm about 65-70 miles from you, so a little closer than most. If I can arrange fitting of mine somewhere soon then you're more than welcome to borrow the cat to get through the MOT.

As a side thought, I'm quite surprised at how many people get through MOT's without the CAT. I always thought that MOT places have to check for a CAT as a legal requirement on all cars, irrespective of emissions (unless the car is way-old, of course). Is this right, or am I talking uninformed bo****ks (as usual, I hear to say!! :laugh: :rolleyes5 :$ )

Physician
07-09-2004, 11:04 PM
Likewise Landy ....... my CAT is in my garage and you're welcome to borrow it just for the MOT. I'm in Leicester.
I'll also go as far as Birmingham to meet you and hand it over if it helps.

Richard

Brind
07-09-2004, 11:56 PM
"Assuming" your problem is the Lambda sensor, you may end up killing your cat if you re-fit it.

If others have passed with flying colours without a CAT, it sounds like you do have a problem, if the Lambda sensor doesn't register the change once a CAT is fitted, you will potentially kill it within a few thousand miles or there abouts.

I know this from personal experiance, the Lambda died on my 200 which consequently killed the CAT = very high emissions, no MOT and £££ :(

zedy1
08-09-2004, 01:46 AM
, it sounds like you do have a problem, if the Lambda sensor doesn't register the change once a CAT is fitted,

cant see it being the lambda sensor as this is fitted before the cat, also if the lambda is faulty the engine management light should come on

landy you could come and borrow my cat, im based near preston

wirdy
08-09-2004, 10:34 AM
How come you've lost your CAT Landy?, you must have a garage in a worst state than mine - and that's saying something!

I haven't had an MOT since I removed my CAT but I was going to just pop the CAT in the boot when I'm due MOT in October. Any probs with emissions & I'll just try the logical approach with the tester.

Anyone else tried this, or needed to?

landy
08-09-2004, 10:36 PM
Thanks for all your offers of help, much appreciated :) :thumbsup: :thumb1:

I'd kept the CAT at work (as I thought it would be safer :rolleyes5 ). Anyway, this morning my sister (who works in the office part time) asked if she could have my 'Comic Strip' video - 'Mr Jolly Lives Next Door' (classic), I told here no way as it took me ages to get a copy off ebay. Then I thought a minute and said, "Yes, only if you can find my CAT for me!!"...

Would you believe it, but after me and a few others spending an hour or so on Saturday, and me half an hour on tuesday night she found it within 10 minutes :headsc: :wtf:

I'm sure she'd planned it all along, but who cares I got my CAT back :boing3: :hurrah: :thumb1: :wiggle:
And it passed with flying colours. Interesting about the Lambda sensor thing, hope everything is OK

Physician
08-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Good news ...... all's well that ends .............

Jimbo
09-09-2004, 12:37 AM
Yay! :)

nick-f1
09-09-2004, 08:27 PM
Glad you got it sorted Landy, but you didn't answer my question about how far are you from Ammanford. If its not too far- next time I get dragged to the sister in laws in WET Wales I could sneak off and meet up maybe for a chat :lipsrseal

Nick

landy
09-09-2004, 10:17 PM
No probs Nick. If it's Ammanford, Camarthen according to the AA's route finder (http://www.theaa.co.uk) about 80 miles.

Trying to get away from the inlaws eh? :lipsrseal :-D :-b

nick-f1
09-09-2004, 10:34 PM
No probs Nick. If it's Ammanford, Camarthen

Trying to get away from the inlaws eh? :lipsrseal :-D :-b

Is there more than one Ammanford? Yep its carmarthen end of m4 A48 then right turn Cyde before the cross hands roundabout......... or was that their old place?Hhmmmnnn never mind and yep always trying to escape the sister in law, her and I react like petrol and fire, she has no sense of humour and she's not even welsh!..... No insult intended to any welsh members :lipsrseal Will give ya a shout when we go.

Cheers

Nick

PS. Its the one on the Black mountains.......... dunno why they call em that - you can't see 'em most of the time!