PDA

View Full Version : Busted a thief last night.

Subaru ETA
26-09-2010, 11:26 PM
We got home from the moivies last night at about 9pm. we were sitting in the car as Jess got all her things together when we noticed a guy jumping over the fence, then put his hoodie on. we were thinking hmmm ok wierd.

we remaind in the car and watched him as he went up to one of our neighbours cars (a legacy GT) Now we live in a block of flats down a long driveway so there a quite a few cars parked down our driveway. he then went to the flats oppoiste and went into one of the garages. it was at this point we called the cops.

He then comes out of the garage and looks at a couple of other cars. next thing we know he is walking down inbetween the flats. there are 6 flats on either side of the drive so he walking inbetween them. When we lost sight of him he was looking over the fences. I was going to get out and confront him but figured it was best to get the cops to get him - no point in me scareing him off.

He then comes back to the subaru again. then we loose sight of him. Next thing we hear people running down the driveway with flashlights - 4 cops. he sees them them aswell and we see him run for the bushes. one cop comes over and asks where he is and we point him in the right direction. they call out his name and he doesnt come out. the treaten him by saying that the dogs were coming (they didnt have the dog squad with them but they were on stand by). he quickly came out of the bushes!

Cops then ask him what hes up to and all he can come up with is "what do you mean" he then goes for his pocket! the 4 cops tackle him, little bit of a stuggle and then they cuff him and take him away /bat

the cops went over the property and checked all the cars and check our house window which he had been hanging around.

He has been arrested and charged with unlawfully being on a property and have asked everyone just to chck there things in the morning to make sure he hasnt actually damaged any cars.

now i dont have much time for the police but i must say that they got to us withen 5 - 10 minutes and the cop that took our statement was a good guy, so thumbs up to him :thumbsup:

however, the 111 operator was abit of a knob. we explained that it darkly lit and we couldnt really see him but shes asking dumb questions like race, tatts etc

At least we go another low life thief off the streets!

scott.mohekey
26-09-2010, 11:42 PM
How did they know his name? Were they on the look out for him already?

Subaru ETA
26-09-2010, 11:45 PM
they had a feeling they knew who it was ...it didnt actually turn out to be that guy tho!

scott.mohekey
26-09-2010, 11:46 PM
Ahh.. lol.. I wonder if he was thinking "I won't come out, they're asking for someone else".

Ryan
27-09-2010, 06:13 AM
Reading this story pleased me. I hate lowlife scum that steal things, anything... I think that they should treat car thieves like they treated people who stole horses back in the day *draws line across throat*.

I am so happy that you did the right thing by playing it cool, therefore resulting in an arrest :) Well done dude! I live in Glen Innes and I read the crime report in the local "newspaper" and the Remuera and Mission Bay area seems to be "the spot" for burglaries (for obvious reasons).

djb160
27-09-2010, 09:55 AM
I dunno. Being caught by cops is good but being caught and made to dance is kin hilarious - http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_365047&v=cGvUGlKVdAg&feature=iv

bCOiN
27-09-2010, 09:56 AM
tops mate, well done! another useless pr!ck getting dealt to. keep up the good work :)

Subaru ETA
28-09-2010, 06:28 AM
It's crazy - we have had letters in the mail warning of Molotov cocktail attacks on cars, houses getting broken into, tyres getting slashed. I never had this crap when I lived out west!

Gly
28-09-2010, 09:02 AM
sadly last night, my parents house got broken into,
(mum was visiting my dad at hospital)

got a few things, nothing that cant be replaced..

but its not nice to have your mum call up crying,
second time in 4 months now (dad had a stroke the last time she called me crying)..

its not a nice feeling, and if ever get the chance to deal with this scum,
i dont know if i could contain myself,

low life ****ing scum!! deserve to die!

but good on ya Dave, need more honest caring people in this world.

Subaru ETA
28-09-2010, 10:19 AM
That sucks bro, as if she hadn't got enough to worry about.

How is your dad doing if you don't mind me asking?

Gly
28-09-2010, 10:27 AM
he's ok, but he's changed mood wise, but that was expected was quite a severe stroke
still all there thou and very very slowly learning to walk again

SquattingDog
06-10-2010, 09:58 AM
Good work, nice to hear someone was actually caught for once! Nice that the cops actually did their job, and were good about it :)

Bummer to hear about your Dad, Gly - how's he getting on (now a couple of weeks down the track)?

gareth001
06-10-2010, 12:18 PM
Good story, I say bring back the stocks for any petty crime before their sentence begins.

Subaru ETA
14-01-2011, 12:00 PM
So I wasnt feeling too flash this evening so went to bed at about 9:30. Jess followed soon after.

Shortly after we heard some yelling and a thud outside. I was pretty shattered so didnt think much of it. A couple of minutes later we see flash lights and hear talking. I went around to the back door and saw our neighbours out there. Apparantly she was in the shower and her partner was outside and the only light they had on was the bathroom one. he came inside and saw someone trying to get into his kitchen window! He yelled at him and gave chase. Next think he knows he is having a cinter block thrown at him. The guy got to the end of the driveway and our neighbour wasnt too far behind but lost him....

We went around and checked the cars out and one of the cars door was open. He described what the guy looked like and it sounded like it was the same guy as last time. What I forgot to mention was that the guy who did it last time is actually the brother of the woman who lives in the house in front (the one the he jumped over the fence from).

We showed the cops where that house was so they went and knocked on the door. the cops come back and asked our neighbour what he was wearing. they say thanks for that, and make the call to cuff him! they take the cinter block and were on there way.

Now our landlord has our place on the market. when they came and took the photos of the place I asked that my TV, xbox etc were not in the pictures, which they agreed to. Reason being that with the break ins around here I didnt want my stuff plastered on trade me with the address where it is! But guess what? the first pictue on trade me is a picture of my TV etc!

Jess told them to take it down or that they will have to deal with me (im not as nice as she is :p ) the agent and the owner dont seem to want to so tomorrow im going to have to give them a call and "politley advise them to take them down..."

gareth001
14-01-2011, 12:44 PM
I'd never thought about contents of houses being shown on estate agents web sites being used by criminals. Guess I've not got a crimanal mind or would make a very good policeman.

Nutter_John
14-01-2011, 02:45 PM
I was listening to a radio programme the other week and it had a "reformed thief" on there who no advises security to the Police and local councils , some of the ploys he mentioned were quite interesting as he was saying TV shows like Antique roadshow / come dine with me etc gave the thief a great way to look at what a person has without any risk . He claimed that once he saw some item worth about 30k on Antiques roadshow , found the village where it was from and waited near the post office on pension day , the person who had been on the show went in to collect his pension and he followed him home . With 10 minutes work he knew a house with a valuable item in and the persons age etc

was quite an eye opener and Davids point is so valid about showing pictures of your property on estate agents as a thief does not need to do any work to find you

gareth001
14-01-2011, 03:24 PM
Exactly - the theif, if canny enough can also have a look around the property with the intention of buying/renting or get an accomplice to do this.

horndog
14-01-2011, 04:36 PM
And of course google street view lets them plan at home at there leisure.....

Subaru ETA
14-01-2011, 10:14 PM
The thing that gets is the estate agent and the owners attitude of "don't worry, its remuera, it will be fine" (remuera is one of the "upmarket" suburbs of Auckland).

Well to me that is even more reason to be careful - most people around here have nice stuff and the thieves know it!!

Ryan
16-01-2011, 01:41 AM
The thing that gets is the estate agent and the owners attitude of "don't worry, its remuera, it will be fine" (remuera is one of the "upmarket" suburbs of Auckland).

Well to me that is even more reason to be careful - most people around here have nice stuff and the thieves know it!!
HY
Recent monthly crime statistics show that Remuera consistently ranks in the top three for burglaries.

Guess that is where the best goodies tend to be...

dickytim
20-01-2011, 12:54 AM
HY
Recent monthly crime statistics show that Remuera consistently ranks in the top three for burglaries.

Guess that is where the best goodies tend to be...

And you don't sh!t in your own nest.

The whole population should be required to carry loaded guns, lets see rape, murder and thefts happen then...

Joanne
20-01-2011, 01:42 AM
The whole population should be required to carry loaded guns, lets see rape, murder and thefts happen then...

The USA being the prime example that guns for everyone improves things?

dickytim
20-01-2011, 01:57 AM

The deterant of knowing the consiquences of a crime is death is pretty strong. Obviously there would be initial teething problems, there are always slower people who don't understand cause and effect. i.e. cause: them stealing my car effect: their death. But in all honesty it wouldn't take long to weed them out of the gene-pool.

Ryan
20-01-2011, 05:42 AM
The deterant of knowing the consiquences of a crime is death is pretty strong. Obviously there would be initial teething problems, there are always slower people who don't understand cause and effect. i.e. cause: them stealing my car effect: their death. But in all honesty it wouldn't take long to weed them out of the gene-pool.

Generally speaking I am a proponent of a law-abiding citizen's right to bear arms. In saying that however, I do not feel that it is necessary for NZ citizens to start wearing Glocks on their hips and it has a *very* long way to go before it does because there simply isn't a high probability of anyone being involved in a gun crime. The amount of "stories" I read about in the paper where the headline might read "PISTOL WIELDING ASSAILANT..." and it is always found to be a BB gun.

People tend to hold up the USA as an example of a society where firearms are rife and people die every two seconds because some yahoo has gone on a rampage. Those rampages have actually happened for years but back then, the media did not have the same mass audience as it does today. USA also has 300m+ people, not all of them own firearms but in a country that big and that wealthy, crazy stuff is bound to happen.

One must also remember that the right to bear arms is a right that is enshrined in the American constitution and is a part of their history and a deeply ingrained part their culture.

Unfortunately firearm ownership will inevitably attract bad publicity - very few media companies will ever make a frontpage story about the guy who saved his children by shooting dead two armed hi-jackers, for example.

horndog
20-01-2011, 08:54 AM
cause and effect. i.e. cause: them stealing my car effect: their death. But in all honesty it wouldn't take long to weed them out of the gene-pool.

lol, Ive never thought that long and hard about this topic, but I like this :D

Natural selection

dickytim
20-01-2011, 07:36 PM
[QUOTE=Ryan;611638]Generally speaking I am a proponent of a law-abiding citizen's right to bear arms. In saying that however, I do not feel that it is necessary for NZ citizens to start wearing Glocks on their hips and it has a *very* long way to go before it does because there simply isn't a high probability of anyone being involved in a gun crime. The amount of "stories" I read about in the paper where the headline might read "PISTOL WIELDING ASSAILANT..." and it is always found to be a BB gun.

[QUOTE]

Agree totally a Glock is a bit of over kill, I'd have a little Colt .22 pistol myself, the glock could get annoying.