PDA

View Full Version : Raising Boost

Legnum Boy
08-09-2004, 03:32 AM
Been pondering over getting a boost controller.
The car has got 72,000 miles on her already and Im wondering if raising the boost slightly (12-14 psi) will massively reduce the life of the already quite old turbos..??
I have read on here about higher mileage cars, with raised boost not encountering any problems, and I have certainly not let the well being of my motor slip at all (regular servicing, cost regardless repairing) but there is that little nagging thought of turbo replacement bills on my credit card... :rolleyes:

Is the difference in boost well worth experiencing, and more importantly, addictive?? :-D :-D ( I say this because, I could always run standard boost most of the time, but would I??)

Someone please make my mind up for me....I probably only need a featherlight push.... ;) :p :p
p.s. If so, is £280 for an APEXi AVC-R a good deal, and the right type of controller? :$

Spirit
08-09-2004, 06:59 AM
If you have the money to invest in a boost controller then yes do it ! ;)

The extra boost and power increase is noticeable, just ask Polabear who now has 300+ bhp and has described his Legnum as a "scolded cat" :laugh:

The Apexi is an excellent controller (if a little difficult to set up I understand), and also consider a Blitz one - if you are lucky you can pick one up from the likes of eBay for about £150 ! Oh, and it hides away nicely in the fag packet holder down by your right knee ;)

Polabear
09-09-2004, 07:06 PM
If you have the money to invest in a boost controller then yes do it ! ;)

The extra boost and power increase is noticeable, just ask Polabear who now has 300+ bhp and has described his Legnum as a "scolded cat" :laugh:

The Apexi is an excellent controller (if a little difficult to set up I understand), and also consider a Blitz one - if you are lucky you can pick one up from the likes of eBay for about £150 ! Oh, and it hides away nicely in the fag packet holder down by your right knee ;)

Ermmmmm.... I think the correct term was off like "rabid dog".... :D :rolleyes5....and as for running std boost most of the time...who do you think you are kidding...(chortle)...and yes it IS FOOKIN ADDICTIVE...in fact I am on the hunt for more now...Horses that is..... :evil1: :evil2: and as Pete said the Blitz boost controller is probably one of the easiest to work with (if fitted correctly I must add) :lipsrseal

pjjohnson
10-09-2004, 08:24 AM
How is this comparison of boost controllers being done ?

Legnum Boy
10-09-2004, 10:05 AM
How is this comparison of boost controllers being done ?

Beats me...... :p

I have actually settled for an APEXi AVC-R on three grounds.

1. I have the RSM and you just know that everything has to match... :-D
2. It sounds like it has a lot of neat functions.
3. I can get it quite cheap and get the G-sensor for the RSM thrown in with it. :laugh:

Now I've just gotta fit the damn thing.... a good 8 hrs at my pace.... and then get the settings right...... a few weeks with my learning curve.... :$ :lipsrseal

Wish me luck.... this is not the last post here, by a long way.... ;)

Pete, how do I .... Dave, what does this..... Anyone, why wont it do.....

You get the picture??? Run, run now, while you still have the chance.... :rolleyes5

pjjohnson
10-09-2004, 12:36 PM
Well done, good luck, have fun.

Spirit
10-09-2004, 02:01 PM
Good choice mate, good luck ;)

nick-f1
10-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Beats me...... :p

I have actually settled for an APEXi AVC-R on three grounds.

1. I have the RSM and you just know that everything has to match... :-D
2. It sounds like it has a lot of neat functions.
3. I can get it quite cheap and get the G-sensor for the RSM thrown in with it. :laugh:

Now I've just gotta fit the damn thing....

I shall be watching avidly Legnum boy because thats the setup i'm working towards, so will be able to benefit from your experiences! Ha ha :rolleyes5

Regards

Nick