PDA

View Full Version : Debadging

colVR4
08-09-2004, 02:05 PM
I have been toying with the idea of debadging the back of the car. Here are some photos to give an idea of look. I think that the debadged car looks wider and cleaner but I am not sure so I thought I would ask around.

Does anybody know how easy it is to do and could tell me how the badges are attached.

Ta :-D

BraindG
08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
badges are attached with "double-sided-super-sticky-foamy-stuff" ( :rolleyes5 ) Pretty easy to remove.. best on a hot day, or with a hairdryer, using something plastic and strong - and/or further cloth protection to prevent scratching.. once removed the remaining gunk can be buffed off (which happened in my case) -

colVR4
08-09-2004, 03:43 PM
Is that the technical term :b

I think I'm going to give it a shot. I am going to start with the V6Sport badge and the GALANT and just leave the Mitsi logo for a start....see what that looks like.

jtfleming
09-09-2004, 07:44 AM
I think they look much better de-badged, mine is

BraindG
09-09-2004, 08:44 AM
I think they look much better de-badged, mine is

AGREED! :-D :D

BraindG
09-09-2004, 08:46 AM
Is that the technical term :b

Course it is..

:-b

Bal
09-09-2004, 12:15 PM
i've debadged mine. i still have a bit of the foamy stuff on but i have been told that lighter fluid works a treat to get it off. just soak the foam with it.

B

adam_shaw
09-09-2004, 12:26 PM
I'm guessing the fluid will melt the foam - fine as long as you remove it quickly, otherwise you probably just have more to buff off (the fluid spreading the gunk around)

I wonder how it would look for the Wagon, and how the letters are fixed/moulded on the moulding across the back?

A

Bal
09-09-2004, 01:30 PM
you know the galant bit ... i liek that leave it as is.

i have the v6 badges lol could stick them on my gls for a bit of a laugh

pezza
09-09-2004, 01:58 PM
I'm guessing the fluid will melt the foam - fine as long as you remove it quickly, otherwise you probably just have more to buff off (the fluid spreading the gunk around)

I wonder how it would look for the Wagon, and how the letters are fixed/moulded on the moulding across the back?

A

I debadged mine the weekend I got mine.. I like the look of less clutter on the back :D Plus is adds to the "What is it?" presence.. I actually went to a coupla garages asking for brake parts for my car and the mechanics are like what car is it? Which did not instill me with confidence about them doing work on the car :rolleyes:

The badges come off easily with care tho using something like a precision screwdriver and loads of cloth to prevent the tip gouging the paint :-D

The sticky foam back will come off with normal washing up liquid and the tough parts coem off with bug/tar remover without any problems. A few car washes later it should be off completely.

I have a waaaaagon too I took everything off including diamonds (on back only) this is what it loox like...

Cheers

Pezzz

Big Ian
09-09-2004, 03:21 PM
the easy way to remove the full badge with backing foam all in one is.......boil your kettle and run the hot water over each badge as you slowly peel.
then with your car polish buff away any mark's......east peasy :D don't use petrol or lighter fuel as you will remove a thin layer of top coat and could end with a dull patch and more likely you will damage the plastic part round the boot lock.
ive removed evey badge this way on every car ive owned."TRIED an TESTED" :-D

adam_shaw
09-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Looks cool as..... I feel a petit-project coming on.

Thanks Pezza, pictures made me mind up - like the 'zorst as well - is that something special or just a pipe end, you don't seem to have a cutout in the rear skirt?

A

Bal
09-09-2004, 04:11 PM
ian so tru. but having the a big dent in my boot lid and in process of getting it sorted one extra bit of crap wont matter to me.

B

pezza
10-09-2004, 11:21 AM
Looks cool as..... I feel a petit-project coming on.

Thanks Pezza, pictures made me mind up - like the 'zorst as well - is that something special or just a pipe end, you don't seem to have a cutout in the rear skirt?

A

Hi Adam,

Yeh go for it.. try it in something like MS paint or photoshop see what it looks like.

The zorst is a powerflow backbox (which has mixed reviews from a few people) with choice of tail pipe which I got done at Xtreme motorsport for about 180. It sound meaty when u fire up and it is a bit louder during low speed driving. It used to boom a lot tween 2 and 2.5K but it does seem as loud now thankfully.. or I am prolly just used to it? :dozey: I need a sound rig like Bal's to drown it out completely :-D

I decided to stick with E55 AMG look and dint cut out the bumper. The existing metalwork and width of back box pipes would have required some minor metalwork surgery which I wasn't up for. I do like the look of it raised and with the bumper cut out tho.. maybe one day I may do it? :-b

Cheers

Pezz