PDA

View Full Version : Worn inside rears ??

Wodjno
08-09-2004, 11:22 PM
I think this could be costly , but hopefully not !! A couple of months ago i posted about badly worn inside edges of rear tyers resulting in a very large egg and a near blow out of my rear right tyre .. I took it to the local F1 centre to have 2 new tyres shod to the fronts and the partly worn fronts put to the rear of the car .. After Silverstone i was readying my car with new front discs and pads ,and painted shiny Red calipers .. also new rear pads and shiny red calipers .. It all went to plan .. Up until i was putting the pads in the reares only to find i had been sent the wrong type ( probably for V6 or 2.0l .. ) Anyway this didn't spoil my enjoyment of the job i had undertaken and completed much to my own satisfaction .. BUT !! Then while putting on my rear wheels i noticed that the tyres that i had had moved from fronts to rears were very badly worn on the inside rear (BOTH) about a 1 inch wide strip at about a 25 to 30 degree angle .. TOTALLY BALD .. YUP JUST LIKE MYSELF :laugh: When i had them swapped over last time i remarked to the Bloke setting up my wheel allignment that the rear wheels looked like they were towing in quite abit , and he came out with a load of shpeel that thats how most Hi Performance cars are set up these days ... And me knowing no better left it at that.. But now it looks like somethings a miss at the rear of my car .. I have had a strange humming noise from the rears since they were swapped when cornering at about 30mph on roundabouts , but this dissapeared after the trip to Silverstone (so did most the outer edges of my front tyres ) :laugh: Maybe it was humming cos of a substantial ammount of toe in at the rear and the trip round Silverstone just wore them down to the right angle on the edges .. Who knows .. Cos I Don't .. :huh: Any ideas Pees ?? Thanks in Advance :wiggle:

Roadrunner
10-09-2004, 10:33 AM
Excessive wear on the inside edges of the rear tyres would be caused by excessive toe-out, not toe in. Could be that your suspension bushes are worn which would allow the wheel to move under load or movement, even though it may be unnoticeable whilst stationary.

I'd recommend a four-wheel laser alignment check, asking the technician to check for worn bushes at the same time. Geometry tolerances are shown below:

Cheers,
Brian

Wodjno
10-09-2004, 06:59 PM
Excessive wear on the inside edges of the rear tyres would be caused by excessive toe-out, not toe in. Could be that your suspension bushes are worn which would allow the wheel to move under load or movement, even though it may be unnoticeable whilst stationary.

I'd recommend a four-wheel laser alignment check, asking the technician to check for worn bushes at the same time. Geometry tolerances are shown below:

Cheers,
Brian
Thanks for that Brian .. I always get the toe in and out mixed up .. I am going to get it checked at the weekend .. I have some new wheels and Tyres to go on so want to make sure it's sorted B4 i fit them .. Excellent chart .. Silly quession but is the chart specific to the VR4 .. ??

dickytim
11-09-2004, 09:50 AM
Sorry I cant read the green writting so I dont know, is your car lowered

I found when I had 5 people in the back of my car the camber looked very negative (if thats how you say it) Much like a badly lowered honda. That would wear your rears in the inside edge. Just a thaught

Roadrunner
11-09-2004, 11:20 AM
is the chart specific to the VR4 .. ??
Yes, pretty certain these figures are for the VR-4 only. My car was set up using these tolerances and all the tyres wear uniformly across the tread :)

Wodjno
11-09-2004, 03:31 PM
Sorry I cant read the green writting so I dont know, is your car lowered

I found when I had 5 people in the back of my car the camber looked very negative (if thats how you say it) Much like a badly lowered honda. That would wear your rears in the inside edge. Just a thaught
No my car is standard .. Car from the rear looks as if the tops of the wheels are angled in towards the car .. Like Brian says and had a chat with The Vee and he has the same opinion .. I thinks it's mr Rear Bushes . Will be getting them checked out very soon .. New wheels and tyres sitting here getting lonely .. :sad3:

ShadyNZer
20-09-2004, 04:57 AM
had the same prob on my back tyres, everytime i looked at them they looked sweet till i got a flatty and took my car into the local tyre place, had a look at them and on the inside they was bald as hell, checked my other back one and the inside worn out as well, he reckons its because of how theyre set up (back tyres are on a angle like this /---\ ) luckily he had a spare 18" lying around for $40 till i can get a new one ($350)

Gly
21-03-2005, 11:51 AM
sorry to bring up an old topic,
but will those spec's apply to a non tubro legnum 25ST (4WD)??