PDA

View Full Version : Engine / Clutch Swap Dunedin

Marklar
07-10-2010, 07:46 AM
Hey guys, I am currently rebuilding an engine and changing my clutch and was wondering whether I need to drop the transfer case first or if I can just drop the transmission with it still attached, all posts I have read seem to do the transfer case first, is there a reason for this?

Also if anyone is willing and able to help it would be appreciated ... I have never done this before, not having too much trouble to date.

Ryan
07-10-2010, 07:53 AM
I believe that you will indeed have to remove the transfer case in order to change the clutch. I'm sure another member with a manual will be able to confirm though. :)

Gly
07-10-2010, 08:22 AM
trans case has to come off,
reason, cause you cant just take off the gearbox off with it still attached :D

scott.mohekey
07-10-2010, 09:15 AM
There's a bolt holding the transmission to the block that is hidden behind the transfer case.

Marklar
07-10-2010, 02:37 PM
Ahuh thanks very much I figured it would be something silly, wouldn't want it to be straight forward and easy, wheres the fun it that.

Subaru ETA
07-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Also removing the shaft that goes from the gearbox to transfer case can be a pain in the arse

Marklar
08-10-2010, 08:49 AM
When removing the CV's from the transmission does the pry bar go into the join between the trans and CV or do I lever against the green CV joint housing?

I ask as there is a collar which seems quite soft and easily damaged where the axel connects to the trans, but the manual refers to not damaging the rubber seal which appears to be under the collar and I cant get the right leverage off the CV housing, hope this makes sense to someone.

bradc
08-10-2010, 08:55 AM
You need to put pressure on the green part to get them out. The soft grey collar is part of the assembly and is fairly weak.

Subaru ETA
08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
Or if you can't work that out just use a block of wood and a hammer

taylor
08-10-2010, 11:35 AM
Im getting rather good at gettting them out. pay for my gas down and il help out haha

mattnz
09-10-2010, 12:28 AM
I'll give you a hand, but I haven't done it before :P

Marklar
01-11-2010, 04:42 AM
Thanks very much for the offers and advice, the block of wood and hammer did the trick, drivers side was quite annoying

Lost interest in lying on the concrete for a couple of weeks as its time to remove the big stuff, not something that I am really looking forward to.
Looking for an engine crane now, I will probably buy one if anyone knows of one going cheap from Christchurch or anywhere south or even better one I could steal / borrow for a short period of time.

Basically up to the point where I need to drop the transfer box and transmission.
How much weight is supported on the cross member? too much to take it off before the engine is braced?

scott.mohekey
01-11-2010, 04:44 AM
I don't think the cross member holds much weight. I've had it off before a few times without the engine braced. I believe its mainly to provide structural support and a mount point for the front roll stop.

Marklar
04-12-2010, 07:11 AM
So im still slowly trying to get this swap done .... haven't attacked it for a couple of weeks.

I have the transfer case off and am removing the transmission, I am upto the point where I need to disengage the thrust bearing. So i have read the Exedy tech notes and they say to apply pressure to the clutch release fork, how is my question ... shouldnt the clutch pedal being out do this?

Gly
04-12-2010, 09:02 AM
heres what you need to do