bonsai boy
11-09-2004, 08:24 PM
CVR4 Member Jimbo

bonsai boy
11-09-2004, 08:26 PM
CVR4 Members - HJM

bonsai boy
11-09-2004, 08:27 PM
We all had a great time - looks like this person didn't!!!!!

HJM
11-09-2004, 08:43 PM
Yay - excellent photos and an excellent day!

Castle Combe proved to be much more fun than Silverstone and showed exactly how good the VR4 is around a track - in the dry and wet :-b

Jimbo and I have advanced from Virgins to Novice but have some way to go to match the three pros there today - Simon, Graham & Paul :-D

Particularly Graham, who has even attempted overtaking at Quarry - didn't get past the Saab though :laugh:

Had two great sessions - first in the dry and mullered a 968 Club Sport (forced it into the escape exit at Bobbies) - must have seen the silver beast behind :gun1:

Second session was entertaining in the wet and overtook a Pulsar GTi and Sierra Cosworth with ease :rolleyes5

However, the Elise boys have it in the dry :sad3: :lipsrseal

It's def given me the track bug and can't wait for the next one - shame it's not till next year :(

Thanks to everyone today for their company, advise and words of wisdom.

Heath

Physician
11-09-2004, 09:35 PM
Great pics bonsai - thanks. Wish I had come down even with my brakes ....... next year for certain providing I haven't reached 12 points by then :sad3:

Jimbo
11-09-2004, 11:09 PM
Excellent pics, mate, a really great fun day out and I'm really pleased you guys convinced me to bunk off work for it. As HJM say, great company, and an excellent day out.

Heath's "bagging" of the 968 deserves much more credit than his humble write-up suggests - he hassled that poor unsuspecting Porsche driver so much for lap after lap that the poor guy buckled under the pressure :laugh: "Arrgh, I can't shake that damn estate car, WTF!" :D :laugh:

Driving in the wet was fun, as Simon will testify when he was chasing me into the last corner and got a glipse of the full side view of my car! :$ :laugh: TYRES! Must get better wet TYRES!

Such a low-key and relaxed atmosphere after the hype of Silverstone. I arrived late, paid my £10, drove round to the "pits" to meet Heath and Jane only to have a guy knock on my window..."Four an' a alf, mate!" What? "Four an' an 'alf!" (pointing his finger in my general direction)....."I've already paid!", I said. :$ Ok, so I had driven inadvertantly straight from the road and into the sound test area and very nearly onto the track..... :laugh: No-one batted an eye-lid, how cool is that?

SGHOM
11-09-2004, 11:17 PM
great pics, & great stories !! :-b I wish I could have been there [ much better track day than silverstone ]
Even though I've had the day off, It would have been at least a 600 mile round trip for me !! :rolleyes5 :rolleyes5
I'm keen, but not that keen !! :rolleyes:

Jimbo
11-09-2004, 11:38 PM
[ much better track day than silverstone ]

Yeah, I remember both you and Pete saying this, and I couldn't understand it at the time as Silverstone was like a "pinch me now" childhood-dream-come-true experience, but having now been to Combe I know exactly what you mean. :)

It's just awesome, it has the perfect mix of corners and straights to challenge our cars, and with a friendly "club" atmostphere too.

Roll on the next track day!!!!

Simon
12-09-2004, 12:40 AM
Great pictures Great meeting you all today It was great fun, as always. The first two dry runs were good fun, building the speed up slowly, only to find a certain Legnum attempting to go up the inside at QUARRY!!!!!!!! and a quick Saab trying the same moves on him! :rolleyes5 So the only option i had was to drive faster ;) Bonsai Boy, now renamed Kamakazi Boy :-D ;)

The third run was wet, very wet with heavy rain and standing water. HJM and Jimbo were in the queue ..........so how could i not go out.....it would be rude not to :-D The VR4's coped well with the rain and the four wheel drive proved its worth with the cossie's and type r's tip toeing around.

I managed to provoke the car at quarry and out of the chicanes to get over steer and got the wheels spinning up while going side ways............afraid ive not enough power to do this in the dry! :dozey: GREAT FUN...............i prayed for rain.......

Followed Jimbo into a corner and he was still accelerating away from me when we both turned into the corner :dozey: Basically we managed to see alot of the drivers side of the car :rolleyes: me and Paul were shouting "too fast" "too fast"...followed by "Ohh Sh*t" "Ohh Sh*t" :rolleyes: Jimbo put the power back on as the car was running out of road and got it around that bend....some how........It was good to watch but we held our breath!.

HJM hassled the Porsche ........and won!! I think we all enjoyed the day.....Castle Combe is such a relaxed track compared to Silverstone, i know its in a different league but .............you lot know what i mean :)

HJM
12-09-2004, 09:20 AM
Having never done anything like this before, I was a bit aprehensive before the first session - mainly because, having given it my blessing by becoming involved, if anything went wrong I wouldn't be able to blame Heath :lipsrseal

Also, as I don't drive the car that often myself, I still couldn't really believe that a great big lump of an estate car could actually go round corners fast and stay on the road, nor did I know whether my driver would be any good :$

However, the reality was FANTASTIC :-D In the first session, I was hanging on for dear life and thinking to myself 'please don't overtake, please don't overtake' but by the second session, it was 'go on, have him!' :laugh:

The only hairy moment was onlap 5 at Quarry, when Heath got it a bit wrong and said 'Oh sh*t' loudly as we approached the grass sideways but the car helped out there :-b

It has made me appreciate exactly how good the car is and I think I am finally understanding what we have now.

And the best bit about being a passenger? When Heath relives every moment of every corner on the way home, all last night and no doubt long into the future, I can relive it with him 'cos I WAS THERE :laugh:

Bring on the next one.

Jane

Spirit
12-09-2004, 09:56 AM
Sounds like you all had a great day, and not a surprise to see the comments about Combe being more "fun" than Silverstone - certainly better for the VR4 I feel.

The main thing was you all seemed to survive in one piece, well done ;)

Sorry I couldn't make it, but work bloody Saturdays now :( , which reminds me, must remember to book the day off for Japfest 2005 :laugh:

PAUL
12-09-2004, 01:50 PM
What can i say another great day even though it rained!!
The track was not too busy and you could take your time so to speak.

The second session was fun having a tassle with Graham for the whole 20 mins good to see a Vr-4 getting the back out so often.
Also good to see some other members there getting good use of the track.

I am looking forward to the next one but as winter gets closer the track days get rarer roll on next year.