PDA

View Full Version : Help with ecu flash :)

Madden
16-10-2010, 12:21 PM
Just need a few pointers to get started really.

I have downloaded the newest version of ecu flash but have not yet brought the openport 2 cable.

My ecu at a guess is the early version due to it being a 96 tip so i know i cant flash it without have a fiddle with the rom but it still doesn't stop my getting rom ids and definition files.

Which brings me to my questions :)

Right i have seen loads of threads on here about people having a play and then they lpost up their rom ids and xml files. How do i use the files as i cant get anything on ecu flash.

Where do i store them so that ecu flash can see them and open them? Also what do i store them as.

I understand the rom files must be .hex or .bin. What are the definition files? are these the .xml files?

I have download all the files in this thread but cant actually use them as yet?

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39607&highlight=ecu+flash

I have done mapping on power fc's and hks fcon pros but they are pretty easy to pick up and use. This ecu flash has boggled me. I know you cant live map but is it as simple as logging a map and then adjusting it or do you have to be a computer programmer to understand it all. hahaha

Cheers

Jamie

Wobble
16-10-2010, 12:31 PM
nutter_john and Kinkyaffro would be the guys to talk to as they have succesfully mapped the 7201 ecu recently and has them on sale .

Madden
16-10-2010, 12:55 PM
Yea i have read a couple of their thread regrading the 7201 ecu's that they have somehow managed to read and flash. Top blokes :)

Just after something to play with hence getting ecu flash but not having a clue how to freaking use it. lol

Madden
16-10-2010, 01:13 PM
Looks like i have found a way to read the 7201 ecus know ;)

Just scrolling the internet picking up some info :)

Madden
16-10-2010, 01:52 PM
I think i have now figured it out?

Open the xlm files and use the info to make the maps? :)

Madden
16-10-2010, 03:48 PM
Been playing all day and have most of the scales needed and quite a few maps now :)

Is there a quicker way to load all the scales and maps into the program without manually writing them all in?

scott.mohekey
17-10-2010, 01:36 AM
The xml definition files are what all the tables and scales are saved in. If you're not getting predefined tables and scales when you load the rom, then you don't have the xml definition files installed correctly, or the ecu is not one that has been mapped before.

Madden
17-10-2010, 11:18 AM
yea i have all the scales and maps now in the definition files but i have to open them up which takes me onto the internet and shows me what is in the file.

I have been manually entering them as nothing comes up when i open the rom.

It has worked and i have got a fuel map up but as you say it isnt right.

Where have you saved the xml files? I have them on rommetadata?

Patryn999
18-10-2010, 02:00 AM
The .xml files should go in the C:\Program Files\OpenECU\rommetadata\mitsubishi\galant\

Might help to tell us the rom version to see if one of us has a .xml for it already. Open your .hex file in WordPad (comes with windows). It will load up as a whole heap of funny characters, go to the very end and amoungst the crap you should see something like "EMXXXX". Thats the number that ECUFlash matches to the definition .xml file in order to find maps.

If you right click-> edit an xml file (or even view it in explorer) you can see this number that ECUFlash looks for in <internalidstring> tags.

Madden
18-10-2010, 05:54 PM
right cheers for the info guys. I have got my head round all of it now but just trying to get a decent rom file and matching def file to have a play.

I downloaded the files in the thread i posted in my first post. Not sure if there is a rom file there though?

Nutter_John
18-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Is your ecu a 7201 ( metal case - aka PFL) or 7202/3 ( Plastic case - late pfl and FL) . The 7201 ecu is not flashable in situ but the 7202 is and the 7203 is nearly flashable

Madden
18-10-2010, 07:24 PM
Hello john

Yea i seen that the 7201 cant be flashed which is in my car but i just wanted to play around with the software at the moment.

A bit geeky i know :)

Just want the thing to work lol. Everytime i load a rom now it brings up all the stuff i manuall entered.

Nutter_John
18-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Are you using ecuflash 1.42 on windows 7 ?

Madden
18-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Yea i have 1.42 but using it on vista ;)

Patryn999
18-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Here's the stock rom out of my car, a 7202 with the EM2004 rom, if you're just looking at playing around.

The definitions you downloaded off the forums here should be (mostly) for this rom version, so you should be good to play.

Madden
18-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Cheers for that mate so i guess yours is a manual face lift?

I will give it a try :)

Nutter_John
18-10-2010, 08:33 PM
Ok try updating to the beta version I had major issues with 1.42 and saving xml defs

Madden
18-10-2010, 08:35 PM
Yea just tried that rom and its exactly the same. lol

It just doesn't bring up any maps when i open the rom even though i have put all the xml files i can find in the same folder.

I have that vr4base1xml file which has most of the scaling in it and a lot of maps.

Shtiv
19-10-2010, 12:50 AM
you can put the xml file in any folder you like you will need the xml with all the data (eg vr4_base.xml) and also the xml that points to it (code of which is below)

Then go to file->options->metadata directory and select the directory where you stored them and should be fine. Also notice the fuel maps in most xml files on this site are the wrong way around.

See my post here:

http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39607&page=15&highlight=ecu+flash

Madden
19-10-2010, 07:08 PM
Cheers guys

I now have beta and the rom id as posted above and it still doesnt work lol.

Will keep playing and see what happens.

Some how it has stored all the scales that i entered and all the maps that i created. A lot of them are blank due to me trying thing out. How the hell do i get rid of all that crap? lol

sampsulo
20-10-2010, 02:33 PM
hi, i having an issue, got 1999 vr4, open port 2.0 and the latest ecuflash. i cant get the definiton files to load after reading the rom from the ecu. when defining the new rom what start address do i use?

Madden
20-10-2010, 03:09 PM
Right still have issues even with beta. I have gone through the rom file in notepad as described and its an EM2004 rom. Then i have gone through me xml files and found that they are also all for a em2004 with internal id as 2fefa.

Loaded them all into rommetadate>mitisubushi>galant,

Screen shot of this

Also i have still got all the maps and scales that i have entered no matter what rom i load. I have unistalled and removed all xml from the back up folders. Hey do i remove all this crap ? lol

Nutter_John
20-10-2010, 03:20 PM
Ha ha yeah i had the same issues as well , in th end I removed everything including the drivers + evoscan and clean reboot , it seemed to install and work fine after that

Madden
20-10-2010, 03:43 PM
Will have another go at removing it all and then rebooting it.

Should i just use the install function in program files or do it from the control panel?

Nutter_John
20-10-2010, 03:46 PM
i did it from the remove programs feature but i think they both use the same script , just make sure all directories and files are gone before installing again

Madden
20-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Right i uninstalled it all again and went through the computer deleting all ecu flash folders, drivers the lot. Even all the xml files.

Re downloaded the beta installer and went through it all again.

Started it up and its the same as last time. hahahaha

Nutter_John
20-10-2010, 04:11 PM
ffs mate i know how it feels as i went through this loads of times , maybe drop a message to the ecuflash people and see what they say

Madden
20-10-2010, 04:28 PM
hahaha i might just put my fcon pro on it hahahaha.

Madden
20-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Sorted it :) ::

Went into options then went into where the directory folders where read from. It was saved as just rommetadata so clicked the browse button and went through. cdrive>programfiles>openecu>ecuflash>mitsubishi>galant.

Job done :)

Cheers for all the help guys :)

Madden
20-10-2010, 05:45 PM
All sorted. I have seen how to alter the xml files too. SO i can add extra scales and maps as i find them ;)

Got loads of stuff to play with now :)

Shtiv
21-10-2010, 07:34 AM
Gald you got it going but to save you rereading my post (#19)....

"then go to file->options->metadata directory and select the directory where you stored them and should be fine"

:P

Madden
21-10-2010, 04:50 PM
Gald you got it going but to save you rereading my post (#19)....

"then go to file->options->metadata directory and select the directory where you stored them and should be fine"

:P

/GJ lol. Yea it said rommetadata but it wasn't done the correct way .