PDA

View Full Version : UK Autotrader - does this VR4 belong to anyone on here?

the_boy
24-06-2003, 01:24 PM
Just been perusing the Autotrader on-line for my Galanrt VR4 and came across this one.

1999 MITSUBISHI GALANT VR4 Type-S 5dr Auto Estate

Just wondering if it belongs to anyone on here. It's decidedly cheaper than the one I have been looking at up here in Newcastle ie. the ones for sale at A1 performance.

I can't understand why the 1997 is going for 500 notes more than the 99 version. Does anyone know what the going rate would be for a 99 Galant??

At 6300 miles I'm assuming it should have had it's major service by then.

If it does belong to anyone on here have you any further info on it as it would be much appreciated?
Cheers

Roadrunner
24-06-2003, 02:16 PM
If it's the private sale silver one, there's something not quite right about it. It's got the pre-facelift front but the range was facelifted in late 1998. Being described as a 1999 car, it should be the latest shape.

Also, I wouldn't assume ANYTHING about a service history - need proof by way of invoices for the services INSERT INTO post VALUES (not just stamps in the service book) to prove exactly what work has been done. So, for example, if it doesn't say anywhere that the belts have been changed, I'd suggest they haven't.

These can be quite expensive cars to buy but are definitely expensive cars to maintain - costs of £2k for torque converter seals, £huge for a new box, etc. - so it pays to make sure you're buying one that's been looked after.

Brian

the_boy
24-06-2003, 02:51 PM
Cheers for the info Brian.

I must admit I was a bit suspicious when I saw it so I thought I'd ask around here. Seems the most sensible thing to do :thumb:

Seems a lot of money in maintenance per year, is this always the case or basically only if something goes wrong? I can appreciate the need to get it right the first time when buying, it did cross my mind to see if I could get an inspection done before purchasing.

Nick VR4
24-06-2003, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by the_boy

Seems a lot of money in maintenance per year, is this always the case or basically only if something goes wrong? I can appreciate the need to get it right the first time when buying, it did cross my mind to see if I could get an inspection done before purchasing.

VR4's need to be serviced every 4500 miles unfortunatly :INSERT INTO post VALUES (
to keep them in tip top performance

Roadrunner
24-06-2003, 04:09 PM
The costs I mentioned above would be one-offs, and only if anything went wrong. When I bought mine, it came with a Mitsubishi Red Zebra warranty INSERT INTO post VALUES (which I renewed after the first year) which paid out for the torque converter seal. Symptomised by a gearbox fluid leak on the ground, the recommendation from the dealer was to replace the seal INSERT INTO post VALUES (costs about a tenner); but the gearbox INSERT INTO post VALUES (and possibly the engine) needs to come out to replace it. That's the dear bit ;) - the dealer had the car for five days!

As Nick says, though, servicing is every 4.5k miles - actually maor services every 9k miles with oil changes every interim 4.5k miles but, if you do lots of miles INSERT INTO post VALUES (like me :rolleyes: ); it adds up. I believe I get a better deal than some others who have their cars serviced by dealers down South, but I still budget anything between around £230 and £500 for a major service and about £120 for the interims.

Tyres are in the region of £90 to £140 a corner depending on your preference. Insurance averages around £600pa, again dependent on your personal circumstances. Expect no better than about 23mpg INSERT INTO post VALUES (Optimax or SUL); but probably no worse than around 18mpg. I average around 19-21mpg.

Great cars though, and a great bunch of guys 'n' gals on this BBS to answer your questions and make you feel one of the family :).

Brian