PDA

View Full Version : Which Clutch and flywheel?

gareth001
19-10-2010, 04:24 PM
sorry typo in poll, jp4Mance should be Competition Clutch

Well this week it's time to order new clutch and flywheel - so I've seen 3 makes so far that are around my price range (under £600 for both).

We have:

excedy
Competition Clutch
F1 Racing

I've already got the adapter kit (thanks Gareth) so can fit evo 7-9 stuff and I know that most on here have gone for the Excedy option.

Afraid my knowledge of clutches is not that great, but what I do know is that I don't want a racing clutch as I still want to be able to drive it day to day. Plus I know they are rated by max torque.

This is where it gets tricky, I don't know what my car will produce once it's tuned. All I know is that in Japan the car was set at 1.1 and was producing around the 340-350bhp. Of course I won't be getting that over here due to poorer fuel, but I have no idea what torque I will be running at if I was going to be around the 320-330bhp area (hopefully).

What torque is estimated for this bhp and will a stage 2 clutch handle it? If so which one do you recommend?

Atik
19-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I've got an Evo Exedy one, with a lighter than stock flywheel (for the Evo), which is apparently good for around 500ft/lbs of torque. Dont quote me on that, but my car is still very driveable on a day-to-day basis. I'd happily recommend the Exedy stuff.

Adam.Findlay
19-10-2010, 11:17 PM
yip me to exedy is good i have got a custom lightened one piece flywheel made (so i dont need to use a spacer)
and use an exedy mkb7223hdcb which is a heavy duty pressure plate with a cushoned button disc, pretty much like factory to drive, it does have a point where it bites but it still has alot of slip in it for around town driving. unsure of howmuch torque it can handle though. probable alot

Nutter_John
19-10-2010, 11:20 PM
I would add to that lot a helix group n clutch , they have been known to handle more than 400 bhp on evos ( you can get a direct kit for the vr4 ) but they are around £500 for clutch , cover plate and rb

gareth001
20-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I've got an Evo Exedy one, with a lighter than stock flywheel (for the Evo), which is apparently good for around 500ft/lbs of torque. Dont quote me on that, but my car is still very driveable on a day-to-day basis. I'd happily recommend the Exedy stuff.

Was that the standard EVO replacement clutch or an uprated one?

Nutter_John
20-10-2010, 03:08 PM
Atik a single plate organic clutch could not hold 500ft/lbs of torque , even a twin plate organic is struggling at that amount .

psbarham
20-10-2010, 08:25 PM
Don't forget competion clutches, mines working a treat, and it was cheaper than the equivalent exedy one, and the pedals lighter with a higher clamping force too.

oh and so I hear, their after sales service is pretty good too

gareth001
22-11-2010, 12:12 PM
Well Friday my clutch arrived, an Exedy Stage 1 Fast Road (MK04H601) - however the invoice stated EVO X clutch, I phoned Camskill up and they said would replace this week. I got a phone call this morning saying that the EVO VII thorugh to X all use the same clutch? Most places I read the clutch is 7-9, and only one other places have I seen 7-10 inclusive.

This site, but this is for the puk clutch. http://evo-rally-parts.com/exedy-clutches.html

Anyone want to confirm Camskill on this as I don't wont to be with gearbox out of the car and find the clutch is the wrong one...

Also - thanks to Camskill for £8.81p discount

BraindG
22-11-2010, 12:15 PM
It is correct, you will however need a spacer plate - contact Nick Mann (i beleive) for this.

gareth001
22-11-2010, 12:30 PM
Thanks, I've already sorted the spacer, Gowf had a spare one

stuey
22-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Well Friday my clutch arrived, an Exedy Stage 1 Fast Road (MK04H601) - however the invoice stated EVO X clutch, I phoned Camskill up and they said would replace this week. I got a phone call this morning saying that the EVO VII thorugh to X all use the same clutch? Most places I read the clutch is 7-9, and only one other places have I seen 7-10 inclusive.

This site, but this is for the puk clutch. http://evo-rally-parts.com/exedy-clutches.html

Anyone want to confirm Camskill on this as I don't wont to be with gearbox out of the car and find the clutch is the wrong one...

Also - thanks to Camskill for £8.81p discount

That's pretty much what I had fitted earlier this year, Evo 7-9 Exedy clutch with a skimmed Evo 9 flywheel, and one of Nicks spacers....

All works very nicely..... :)

gareth001
21-02-2011, 10:06 AM
Finally got it all swopped out this weekend - feels better and can tell the flywheel is lighter, spins up a bit more freely. Still bedding in, so another few hundred miles to go before I can get the true taste of Evo 7-10 stage 1 clutch and lightened flywheel.

But first thoughts, much better than stock:thumbsup: