PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade pricing question

Patryn999
20-10-2010, 08:30 AM
I’ve been perusing the forums looking at what people have done turbo wise, and (obviously) there are quite a few alternatives out there. However I’m a complete and utter nub when it comes to this sort of thing, being an electrical engineer by trade I would not put me on the working side of a welder anytime soon (for fear of ones life).

I’m looking at upgrading the turbo’s sometime early next year, and was wondering if the NZers here could give me an estimate on what it cost them to accomplish this feat. If we can leave out the costs of ECU/Injectors etc and concentrate on what it costs to just get manifolds made/modified, piping, downpipes and turbo work that’d be great, as I don't have a f-ing clue in this respect.

From what I’ve read I’m probably looking at twin TD04’s or TD05’s, because I’m a jew. At a guess from the figures the TD04’s would be about +80whp, and the 5’s somewhat more. Reason I’m asking is that if the cost of getting stuff made up for me is going to be considerable, I’d be sorely tempted to fork out the extra on a set of BB tubs instead, or even look at single. I mean, it is all about best bang for buck :)

My ideal setup would be something I can remove & re-bolt onto another engine, as mine has done 180K and may give me funny looks when I start giving it herbs. To which I’ll give it the finger, drop it out and replace it.

P.S. I’m not the complete idiot I’m trying to make myself out to be, but it’s easier to err on the side of caution than get halfway through with a project and find out I’ve wasted my time/money etc by being a dork.

Current mods on car:
Bit of a road tune on ECU.
600x300x76 FMIC
WBO2
Uprated fuel pump
Zorst and de-cat.
EBC
Will also have RS plate diff in it by this time.
(probably running MAP by the time I get around to the turbo’s)

Reason I got interested is I’ll be replacing the front turbo this weekend, and would actually like to take it further/learn more and generally start a non-electronic hobby. And the VR4 (and flatmates stock RX7) is starting to feel slow.

Subaru ETA
20-10-2010, 09:54 AM
What has happened to the front turbo out of interest?

When I owned her I was looking into going the single route. Mike (mpau) legnum pulls hard with a single TD-05, with not much noticeable lag. Plus it would be easier to go that way then the twin turbo way. To go twin it would be a engine out job I would imagine

In all honesty with the right supporting mods that engine would be fine. It may be pretty high k's but it has been maintained by a previous OTT owner :p

ILLEGAL
20-10-2010, 10:10 AM
id go for a single garrett TA3410 http://www.drivenperformance.co.nz/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=1624 because in my opinion;

pros:
# you will only need one turbo and wastegate.
# just make a 2" - 2.25"joiner pipe from each factory turbo manifold, these can be remounted onto a new motor when time comes.
#cheap to make joiner pipes
#you will have less chance of boost leaks from intercooler pipes as there will be less pipe due to only one turbo.
#you will only need 1 set of oil feed and return to the turbo, saving more money as braided lines aren't cheap
#if the turbo wears out you will know which one it is :P
#easy to up grade if you get use too it "35/40R"

CONs:
# you will want a custom plenum box ontop of your intake runners, so the throttle body is on the other side of the engine (you could run factory, but you WILL want this)
#boost wont be full until around 3800-4200rpm? info gathered from a 2L 6a12 with the garrett, could be better on your 2.5??
# it will be obvious that you have changed your turbo. but iv had my td05 for 3 wofs now, at 2 different places no probs. dont go to vtnz :)
# the need for a new diff shortly after installation :P

if funds cant stretch that far look at a DSR turbos turbo.. Fanga dan reckons they are allgood hes had his (same item no rebuild) for the last 3 seasons running 400+KW ATW!

so..
i got my first set of joiner pipes made up with flanges. i guess it would cost around $500-$700 at a guess, but i got mine by a mate who had to have the flanges cut by water jet, so it didnt cost me bugger all in the end (just took forever for him too do!).

the oil feed was $150 and was made using the factory banjo from the engine and factory banjo from the td05 connected by braided hose. hydralink done this.

the exhaust from the turbo too the factory flexi pipe would have been? id say $140-$160 (mate done this for me so price is a guess).

i still ran my factory intake manifold and plenum back then so that wasnt a issue.

id say $1000 ontop of a single turbo?? BUT!!!!!

you must remember, it dont matter how much air the turbo/turbos force into the engine.. its how much air the engine can swallow and spit out that makes power (cams, valves). my factory cams wont allow much more than 240KW atw past them. i have no experience with the 2.5L 6a13. but id say they are not too different?

Patryn999
20-10-2010, 10:56 AM
What has happened to the front turbo out of interest?

When I owned her I was looking into going the single route. Mike (mpau) legnum pulls hard with a single TD-05, with not much noticeable lag. Plus it would be easier to go that way then the twin turbo way. To go twin it would be a engine out job I would imagine

In all honesty with the right supporting mods that engine would be fine. It may be pretty high k's but it has been maintained by a previous OTT owner :p

Its still holding boost, its just starting to make a horrible rattling noise, so I think the wastegate is on its way out. Just as easy to replace the whole unit, and then when disassembled use the least worn turbo with the good wategate.

Unless I'm wrong and its actually the turbo, in which case hey! I have a replacement :)

Why have only one TD-05 when I can have two? haha. Yeah, still tossing up the options. Very hard to give up the twin turbo **** factor... or not.

EDIT: What I should have said was "track day" happened to the turbo :P

orionn2o
20-10-2010, 11:08 AM
I would imagine you'd get quite a fair bit of lag on two TD-05s !

bradc
20-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Why not consider a pair of Subaru VF24/28/29 Turbos? They are ball bearing and reasonably easy to find.

Personally I'm not a fan of a single turbo on a V6, you have a lot more piping to cope with, more heat and more lag.

Subaru ETA
20-10-2010, 08:57 PM
Did you go in mikes car when it was going brad? Really it had **** all lag and pulled all the way to the redline. Plus if you want a setup which can be swapped to another car/engine without too many dramas the single setup would be the way to go.

bradc
21-10-2010, 04:38 AM
Yeah I drove it and it was better than stock, but allbeitmines car had more top end and similar lag (ie virtually none) with two td04's

Patryn999
21-10-2010, 05:23 AM
340KW atw sounds like a ****load to be honest. I have the suspiscion that the engine would start to give up/would definately need forged internals. IIRC zentac started having issues with the crank shaft over 500 awhp?

Is the DSR3540 similar to the GT35/40? (guessing at the name). Cause its not that expensive.. but it could be a dog of a thing to spool. Also its rated at "700hp", I assume turbo HP ratings are the same as speakers/etc. and rated at some ridiculous boost pressure that'd rape both me and my engine. simultaneously.

ILLEGAL
21-10-2010, 06:34 AM
!!!oops!!! big typo there ... i meant 240kw atw... very sorry, info was soo wrong!! the 6a12 cams wont flow much more than 240kws factory. on the 6a12 its the con rods that give up first. 1.8L gsr items.

35/40.. it would be similar

in saying that... SR20.DET DSR3540J59 = 450 kw @ 25 psi on EA85 Fuel.. gaz whiters s15.

alot of turbo info here, hope it helps you all.. http://www.msport.co.nz/viewtopic.php?t=11