PDA

View Full Version : legnum rear bumper removal

Pugme
22-10-2010, 08:13 AM
i did have a bit of a search but to no avail

basically when i get home tonight, iv got to whip the rear bumper off the car, anyway someone can upload a jpeg highlighting where all the fixings are, as it will be dark and cold when i get home.

Confused
22-10-2010, 08:51 AM
There's hundreds of bolts!

Basically... open up the flaps in the rear inside, and remove the rear lights (4 8/10mm nuts)

Then, feel downwards, all the way to the very, very bottom, and there'll be a selection of further nuts to remove.

Underneath, there's some clips & further bolts!

I must say, the Galant/Legnum bumpers are held on the best of any cars I've ever owned! My Prelude was about 4 bolts in total! ;)

Pugme
22-10-2010, 09:28 AM
sounds like im gonna have fun tonight then!

is there nothing bolting it to the rear quarter, or are they underneath?

will it just fall off or once its unbolted it will pull off?

Confused
22-10-2010, 10:15 AM
The bolts holding it to the rear quarter are all the ones that go a mile down the inside which you get to through the light access panels. You'll want a deep socket for these!

Pugme
22-10-2010, 10:54 AM
a deep socket and a long extension bar or a normal socket and a long extension bar!

either way im going to halfrauds!

Atik
22-10-2010, 10:58 AM
Or skinny arms like me and you can reach the last bolt with just a small spanner :D

As has been said, its just a crap load of bolts, 10 or 12 in total I think that hold the bumper to the rest of the car.

Problem you'l find with a long extension bar is you may not have a lot of movement to actually undo the bolt. The space is very limiting once you get inside the bumper.

Confused
22-10-2010, 11:07 AM
The bolts are quite long, so it's a deep socket, rather than additional length that's more required.

Pugme
22-10-2010, 11:42 AM
lol, well its sounding like a lot of fun already :)

are they all visible at least!

deep socket, angle knuckle thing maybe, extension bar!

Confused
22-10-2010, 11:46 AM
Most of them along the rear quarter are a "by feel" only ;)

Pugme
22-10-2010, 11:56 AM
not surprised

Davezj
22-10-2010, 01:34 PM
i removed my rear bumper resently and i found the best tool to use is aflex head ratchet ring spanner so you can just flick it left and right to undo all the nuts. (halfords had a good set on sale for £39.95 which would do the job but make sure they are flex head ones.)

there are
about 5 nuts at each side
4 across the middle (you will need a socket set for those and lift the boot tray up to get access to them).
2 under the car along the bottom lip.
there are also some plastic press fastners to remove as well. (which might be why you have to remove the lights).

i don't think you have to remove the rear lights to get the bumber off but if you do then there are an extra 5 nuts at each side for that too.

if at any stage you think you have all the bolts undone and the bumper will not come off double check you got to all the nuts correctly, as i didn't realise there were 4 nuts along the center, gave the bumper a good pull and snapped off all the plastic tabs which made the bumper useless as it would not go back on propperly.

but undoing the bolts is the least of you problems it is the trim removal you have to do first just to get at them. the rear quarter panels are covered by carpet/card stuff you have to remove this and it is connected to the plastic that runs under the rear quarter window, don't be tempted just pull this off you will break it or break the fixings.
you need to twist the bag hooks in the boot by 90 degs so they go a bit slack and then start to pull and wiggle them that will free one side of them. then you need to turn them a further 180 degs pull and wiggle to free the other side of them. and only then should you start removing the quarter panels to gain access to the nuts.
I completely trashed the first rear quarter panel i removed before i realised what have to do to get it correctly.

i stripped my entire car resently so i know how it comes apart bit i don't know how it goes back together.
i would advise to d the passenger rear quarter tim first, reason for that is if you break the panel then i have a spare available, as i started with the drivers side and broke that one.

By the way why are you removing the bumper?

Pugme
22-10-2010, 01:48 PM
i have a nice 1 foot crack in it where silly bint in a vtec decided to use my mates scooby as a brake pedal, which bumped him into me, so this weekend my mate is gonna plastic weld up for me :)

Davezj
22-10-2010, 01:51 PM
good luck,
It will take a while to remove be prepared

Confused
22-10-2010, 02:05 PM
If you remove the lights, and plastic push-pins, you don't need to remove the metal support bar, which is the 4 bolts along the inside of the boot on the rear edge.

Pugme
23-10-2010, 07:04 PM
well even tho the forum went down!! i succesfully removed my bumper!! asnd today it has been fully repaired, just gotta get it painted now

i wonder how many swear words ill shout, and how many times ill drop nuts into the bumper when refitting!!

cheers lads, couldnt have done it without ya