PDA

View Full Version : Timing Belt Change - old belt!

Dan_G
13-09-2004, 05:02 PM
After 48kmiles I decided it was overdue but not liking the price for mitsu to do 45k service I decided to do myself.

So over the weekend I ventured into the unknown and changed my timing belt and spark plugs. :rolleyes5 oh what a job.....

anyway, just a quick note about the condition of the belt after 48k. I found the belt was glazed on the outer surface and there was cracking at the base of every tooth with a few very dubious looking deep cracks.

All in all, I'm not sure if it would have done another 2000miles without failing.

So, my advise is if yer VR4 has done 45k+ miles definatley get the timing belt changed ASAP.

Dan

wirdy
13-09-2004, 11:42 PM
Dan, would you be prepared to compile a tutorial / experience log of the belt change for us more adventurous self-maintainers who wince at the dealer cost to do this job?

Roadrunner
14-09-2004, 11:38 AM
Mitsubishi's current recommendation is to change the belt every 54k miles, or 3 years, whichever comes first.

wirdy
14-09-2004, 12:34 PM
The belt is 54000 miles or 60 months isn't it?

Unless it's changed since I got my servicing schedule from the Mitsi dealer?

Dan_G
14-09-2004, 01:17 PM
Hi Guys,

I believe there is confusion whether you change your belt at 54,000 or 45,000. a bit like do I change my oil every 9,000miles or 4,500miles.

Well, I'm basing all my servicing on the Mitsubishi service sheet posted by Dave back in 2003. and it says 45,000miles for BIG service and 4,500 miles for oil.......

see this link :- http://www.clubvr4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1380&highlight=cam+belt

I'm so sad, I actually printed this off and tip-exed all the ticks out and made a blank sheet that I photocopied a few times :p ......... so all I need is some ralliart overalls and I can pretend I work for Mitsubishi as I tick off my service items :laugh:

I have also nearly perfected the docile look in my eyes that they all seem to have....... :lipsrseal

and yes, I will post a procedure for this once my broadband is back up and working at home..... as I'm at work at the mo... (you aint seen me righyt)

bye4now
Dan