PDA

View Full Version : I started to change my inner cv boot...

FNFAST VR4
26-10-2010, 06:32 AM
When the ball joint (lower straight arm - passenger side) snapped the inner cv boot tore in half. I haven't been using the car and finally decided to fix it the other day...

When I removed the cv joint, the shaft that it slides onto came out with it. The shaft seems well and truly stuck in the joint. The shaft won't go back in, it seems to get so far and then stop.

I can't get the inner cv joint off the drivers side either. The cup part is firmly stuck in there.

I'm thinking something may have been forced back in when the gearbox was out last, but I can't really remember as it was so long ago.

Does anyone have any advice to help me get my car back together?

bradc
26-10-2010, 06:57 AM
The inner part should come out just fine. I normally put a screwdriver and a piece of wood onto the green part and smack away with it on cars where it is really hard to get out. Normally you can just put a flat head screwdriver on it and tap it with your hand and they come straight out.

FNFAST VR4
26-10-2010, 07:25 AM
It should, but it ain't budging. I'll have another crack later on.

Gly
26-10-2010, 10:26 AM
rotate the cup as you knock it, some times it has to sit in the right spot,

worst case, the expanding locking ring has been damaged, and is now stuck (ive done this on a FWD and had to get a new gearbox!!!!)

FNFAST VR4
01-11-2010, 07:52 AM
The splines on the end look to be out of sync with the rest? This can't be right... surely? But how would it end up like this?

Gly
01-11-2010, 08:41 AM
thats not right!
change that CV/cup

to many launches??

Subaru ETA
01-11-2010, 09:09 AM
The splines on the end look to be out of sync with the rest? This can't be right... surely? But how would it end up like this?

How the **** did that happen?!?!

mike74
01-11-2010, 09:32 AM
Thats looks ominously close to shearing off! :(

FNFAST VR4
01-11-2010, 09:47 AM
That's the shaft that comes out of the gearbox on the passenger side, and the inner cv connects to. That end disappears into the gearbox, the inner cv connects to the other end. I've removed the expanding locking ring from the groove, it was pretty munted, could see dents in it in line with the splines. Weird thing is, when I pulled the inner cv out on that side, that shaft came out of the gearbox pretty easily.

Where do I get another one from? Anyone got one lying around?? haha

taylor
02-11-2010, 08:48 AM
Can probably get you one down here mate. Givs a pm/text

FNFAST VR4
06-11-2010, 05:16 AM
Got it all sorted now and back together. Went in to Ralliart and they had upgraded a diff in a near new car so had put Ralliart shafts in it as well. So they had what I needed just sitting there! Awesome!

Next step, WOF... :uhoh2: