PDA

View Full Version : Brake Pads?

ritch_w
15-09-2004, 04:35 PM
I'm going to need new brake pads soon - any recommendations on pads?

I find the standard brakes a bit soft - i.e. they always work but i always think i'm going to go into the back of someone!!

something with a bit more bite would be good.
I'm not looking at replacing disks yet as I am financially challenged at the moment! ;)

indication of cost would be helpful (mitsu want about £78!!!!!)

Who had ferrodo ones - scottish ian???

cheers

Ritch

Spirit
15-09-2004, 05:18 PM
Ferodo DS2500's for me ;)

Easy to get for the VR4 but not sure about your car mate. Price around £90

Bal
15-09-2004, 07:56 PM
ritch i got some black diamonds of pezz for my car, unfrotunately iu screwed up when installing htem todya so the car has to go to the garage tomorrow to get done properly. will elt you know how they are.

B

I-S
15-09-2004, 08:13 PM
I have Black Diamond discs and pads on the front. Definately a step up on stock, although they can be a bit grabby, especially in the wet.

pezza
15-09-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm going to need new brake pads soon - any recommendations on pads?

I find the standard brakes a bit soft - i.e. they always work but i always think i'm going to go into the back of someone!!

something with a bit more bite would be good.
I'm not looking at replacing disks yet as I am financially challenged at the moment! ;)

indication of cost would be helpful (mitsu want about £78!!!!!)

cheers

Ritch

Hi Ritch,

The black diamond ones work well, I have those with the discs. Much improved over standard spongy feel, I had a lil play on the way home having had them fitted a short while ago :-)

What year is your car? Have just gone thru a month of digging around for front size of pad and with a lil help you have

Black Diamond

Fronts part no pp765 Need For Speed 38 + about 10for delivery
(set of 4 pads for front)

Rears part no PP803 Need for speed 25

Ferodo

The front pad size again is 765, Check out motorsport world or ring woodford Garage Both are very helpful:

DS2000 compound Fronts FDS765DS2
DS2500 compound Fronts FDS765DS25

Both about 85 ish? I could find much about rears but I was looking for fronts at the time...

EBC

They have a range too but hearing some mixed reviews on them etc. I think Craig has those? Again as I was only looking from fronts I believe the
Green ones are part number Fronts DP2954 about 50ish and rears DP2738 I think about 60.

Maybe some of the guys on here are using Ferodos on non VR4 galants and can comment.. I get the impression they will be good tho :-)

Hope this helps...

Good Luck

Pezz

HJM
15-09-2004, 10:31 PM
Ferodo DS2500's for me ;)

Easy to get for the VR4 but not sure about your car mate. Price around £90

And for me - highly superior to the standard.

ritch_w
16-09-2004, 01:40 PM
anyone heard of ADL blueprint? supposed to be Jap made better than OEM.....

i'm having a bugger of a time getting pads - most applications are for the 97 - 01 model with the smaller disks

any way i have ordered a set - which i'll get tommorrow morning- there were some strange noises coming from the front this morning so i'll be taking it easy going home tonight!!

Big Ian
16-09-2004, 02:56 PM
cheers
Ritch

Ritch i'll check again before i say?? as i can't remember what make they are??
ive got the box in my shed,all i can say is that what ever they are they are better than standard mitsy item's,with hardly any dust from them :)

pezza
16-09-2004, 03:03 PM
anyone heard of ADL blueprint? supposed to be Jap made better than OEM.....

i'm having a bugger of a time getting pads - most applications are for the 97 - 01 model with the smaller disks

any way i have ordered a set - which i'll get tommorrow morning- there were some strange noises coming from the front this morning so i'll be taking it easy going home tonight!!

Yep twas a painful experience for me too :) But came through it in the end ..

Most japanese car part places will supply the ADL blueprints when you ask for pads. Someone also mentioned to me, that they were of better material/quality than the ones from Mitz.

If your car has the larger front disks the pad size will be

Front pads should be very close to 160mm by 60mm and usually between 15.7 and 16mm thickness. This is the 765 pattern size I think. The pads also fit the early shoguns apparently. Apart from ADL, u have a choice of Black Diamond, Ferodo (premier, DS2000 and DS2500) and EBC for starters...

Good Luck

Pezz

Big Ian
16-09-2004, 03:50 PM
HI Ritch........i have good old Lockhead item's,,Part number=LP803 / £22.80 from my local motor factor..
(sorry for any mix up as i think i did say before that i'd fitted ferrodo item's :sad3: )
my old pad's still had a good 1000+ miles in them but i felt they where crap! so i changed them to the lockheed's and the difference was night an day :D .
i was quite surprized how much life was still in the mitsy one's but they just had no feeling when you hit the brake's?

craig-1
17-09-2004, 08:37 AM
HI Ritch........i have good old Lockhead item's,,Part number=LP803 / £22.80 from my local motor factor..
(sorry for any mix up as i think i did say before that i'd fitted ferrodo item's :sad3: )
my old pad's still had a good 1000+ miles in them but i felt they where crap! so i changed them to the lockheed's and the difference was night an day :D .
i was quite surprized how much life was still in the mitsy one's but they just had no feeling when you hit the brake's?

rich you could also try mintex blue i had them on my rs a while back now but as i recall they work very well and dont throw off a lot of dust there a bit more expensive but they last twice as long hope this helps by giving u another choice

Bal
18-09-2004, 09:53 AM
black emeralds are on (lol did you see what i did there). will let you know what i think.

B

ritch_w
18-09-2004, 01:42 PM
fitted the ADL blueprint pads this morning

will give them a good test on the way to the footie and report back later

'mon the killie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ritch_w
18-09-2004, 09:37 PM
must say the ADL pads made quite a difference straight away - lots more bite and less of the horrible feeling that i'm about to run out of brakes!

the only thing is now when gently braking to a stop (at low speeds) i'm getting a bit of noise - a creaking - sounds like suspension or driveshaft(??? i fking hope not) and a scoring / grating noise....

i'm going to pop the wheels off tomorrow and re tighten all suspensions nuts & bolts i can see and remove, check & refit the pads - i used plenty of coppaease on the backs of the pads so i doubt thats a prob

any ideas as to what the noises are / suggestions fro other things to look at?

cheers
ritch

Wodjno
18-09-2004, 11:06 PM
Hi Ritch,

The black diamond ones work well, I have those with the discs. Much improved over standard spongy feel, I had a lil play on the way home having had them fitted a short while ago :-)

What year is your car? Have just gone thru a month of digging around for front size of pad and with a lil help you have

Black Diamond

Fronts part no pp765 Need For Speed 38 + about 10for delivery
(set of 4 pads for front)

Rears part no PP803 Need for speed 25

Ferodo

The front pad size again is 765, Check out motorsport world or ring woodford Garage Both are very helpful:

DS2000 compound Fronts FDS765DS2
DS2500 compound Fronts FDS765DS25

Both about 85 ish? I could find much about rears but I was looking for fronts at the time...

EBC

They have a range too but hearing some mixed reviews on them etc. I think Craig has those? Again as I was only looking from fronts I believe the
Green ones are part number Fronts DP2954 about 50ish and rears DP2738 I think about 60.

Maybe some of the guys on here are using Ferodos on non VR4 galants and can comment.. I get the impression they will be good tho :-)

Hope this helps...

Good Luck

Pezz
Must agree with what has been said about these discs .. They are very good at stopping your car .. I had them fitted on my Rover 620 Ti and boy did they stop it .. When i first fitted them i wasn't that impressed then one day they just started biting and boy did they bite .. thing is they bit that well that it made drive harder and harder knowing that i could brake exceptionaly late .. BUT ..!! After just 5500 miles they were absoluteley MULLERED .. Surface fracturing and Cracks all the way thru the discs .. they hadn't warn much and the pads were hardly touched eithe .. But the discs were in a terrible state and if i had drived much further on them i think something quite horrific might have happened .. I have kept these discs and they are in the garage hanging up as a reminder to keep a regular check on your brakes .. I will post some pics up t'mora of them ..So to end .. Black Diamond have great breaking ability and hye bite like a Shark on Kylie's ass .. But beware .. Don't over work them . :|

Bal
19-09-2004, 09:47 AM
what about the other makes metioned? any similiar problems with those as with the BDs? having changed my pads im now thinking about changing the discs at the front.

Polabear
20-09-2004, 10:20 AM
must say the ADL pads made quite a difference straight away - lots more bite and less of the horrible feeling that i'm about to run out of brakes!

the only thing is now when gently braking to a stop (at low speeds) i'm getting a bit of noise - a creaking - sounds like suspension or driveshaft(??? i fking hope not) and a scoring / grating noise....

i'm going to pop the wheels off tomorrow and re tighten all suspensions nuts & bolts i can see and remove, check & refit the pads - i used plenty of coppaease on the backs of the pads so i doubt thats a prob

any ideas as to what the noises are / suggestions fro other things to look at?

cheers
ritch

Stopping from slow speeds with uprated harder pads will always cause grinding/creaking type noises, primarily because the pads are cold, so don't sweat it ;)

Japmetal
25-09-2004, 11:35 AM
thing is they bit that well that it made drive harder and harder knowing that i could brake exceptionaly late .. BUT ..!! After just 5500 miles they were absoluteley MULLERED

If you drive like this then ANY pads and discs are going to give up quickly; you only have to over-cook them once, and the damage is done - they'll never be the same again.

I've had Black diamond pads & discs all round fitted for a few months now, done a few thousand miles & given them some stick and had no problems whatsoever; I'd recommend them tonyone [most BD users on this site are using them on my recommendation !]

Wodjno
25-09-2004, 05:21 PM
If you drive like this then ANY pads and discs are going to give up quickly; you only have to over-cook them once, and the damage is done - they'll never be the same again.

I've had Black diamond pads & discs all round fitted for a few months now, done a few thousand miles & given them some stick and had no problems whatsoever; I'd recommend them tonyone [most BD users on this site are using them on my recommendation !]

Is there any otherway .. ???? :rolleyes:

ritch_w
29-09-2004, 12:23 PM
FYI - removed and refitted the pads and all noises have gone!! :-D